23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Btw I'd take that 50k budget and literally double it. Interior trimming and canvas for the back deck will be 15k easily. 15k for motors? I dunno this thing deserves new power if you ask me, I think by the time you're done it's going to be 75 to 100,000. Which is the level this rig deserves so then you're all in around 100 to 125k which is a hell of a bargain compared to some of the pos on offer for 125k out there.

@Robert Snyder Do you have the option to shelve the project for 6 months, and re-assess your financial situation at that time?

With a project this big, it can be very tempting to get it finished quickly, which generally means paying full price for everything you purchase. By doing all the hull work yourself, you started the project the opposite way and given yourself a big advantage going forward by using (I'm assuming) mostly idle time during the pandemic.

If you can afford to, shelve the project and wrap up the boat. Spend the next 6 or 12 months working a bulletproof budget and waiting for the type of great deal on larger items that you're currently offering everyone right now.

I dont think your project will depreciate at this point. I'm probably not alone here thinking how quickly I would have jumped on your project if i hadn't just bought a new boat in October 19'.

Just a thought based on zero knowledge of your current situation.

Julian

Edit: I'm going to get flak for this, but with a 26 footer, I think that podding and big power outboards are a bit of a luxury and totally optional. If it was mine, I would honestly be looking for a diesel sterndrive to power it.

Last edited:
Hey Julian, that is exactly what I was working on between 1am and 4am last nigh :D @myles mentioned in a text yesterday "just ice the project" so it got me thinking, this could be a 3 year project and no rush to complete. It may even work better because when work starts I will be busy for at least a year trying to do catch up on things, money! :eek:

I am kinda holding my expenses to date pretty close to my chest, having the time off, starting back in December went to good use :D the completed project will be no Tashema Hall but one of the best built Hourstons out there and I really think this can be completed at a fraction of what has been forecasted. Also I have you guys to help me find those bargains when it comes time as per COVID slogan "We are all in this together" haha, O geese now that is funny or maybe I'm sleep deprived today, either way you know what i mean... :(

Good name for the boat "WAAITT", brain storm!

Last edited:
I vote to just let this project sit. If this was my project I would be forever heartbroken that I sold a project part-way done. And I'd hazard a guess that if you bought something else you'd always be finding faults in it. The work you've done here is pretty incredible...I think you should hang on to this and see it through

Hey Julian, that is exactly what I was working on between 1am and 4am last nigh :D @myles mentioned in a text yesterday "just ice the project" so it got me thinking, this could be a 3 year project and no rush to complete. It may even work better because when work starts I will be busy for at least a year trying to do catch up on things, money! :eek:

I am kinda holding my expenses to date pretty close to my chest, having the time off, starting back in December went to good use :D the completed project will be no Tashema Hall but I really think this can be completed at a fraction of what has been forecasted @ab1752
That's right! I thought this was a 2 year project to begin with! :)

I vote to just let this project sit. If this was my project I would be forever heartbroken that I sold a project part-way done. And I'd hazard a guess that if you bought something else you'd always be finding faults in it. The work you've done here is pretty incredible...I think you should hang on to this and see it through

I am kinda holding my expenses to date pretty close to my chest, having the time off, starting back in December went to good use :D the completed project will be no Tashema Hall but I really think this can be completed at a fraction of what has been forecasted. Also I have you guys to help me find those bargains when it comes time as per COVID slogan "We Are All In This Together" haha, O geese now that is funny or maybe I'm sleep deprived today, either way you know what i mean... :(

Good name for the boat "WAAITT", brain storm, i really need sleep!

Btw I'd take that 50k budget and literally double it. Interior trimming and canvas for the back deck will be 15k easily. 15k for motors? I dunno this thing deserves new power if you ask me, I think by the time you're done it's going to be 75 to 100,000. Which is the level this rig deserves so then you're all in around 100 to 125k which is a hell of a bargain compared to some of the pos on offer for 125k out there.

Throw a tiller 90 on there and call it done!

New rule, no consuming alcohol and posting, I need everyone on the top of their game and coherent... haha :rolleyes:

In the meantime, we (you) can get started on a rough draft of our (your) soon to be best selling How To paperback titled "The Modern Snyders' Guide to the Comprehensive Refit"

Ingenious way to "Go fund me", think it would sell? Now taking pre sales, anyone... anyone...?

@Robert Snyder
Edit: I'm going to get flak for this, but with a 26 footer, I think that podding and big power outboards are a bit of a luxury and totally optional. If it was mine, I would honestly be looking for a diesel sterndrive to power it.

As per edit I do not have the I/O option any more as the space has been reclaimed by the 80gal fuel tank

Lots of sage advice here for sure. Have you ever restored a car before? I've done 2, in strong partnership and sharp contrast to my cheque book. You can definitely become fatigued along the way, one of mine was more of a rolling restoration but the 240z, which is by far the larger project, I'm never going to call it done. Point being if you sit down and develop a reasonable project plan with achievable milestones based on the new economics in the world, I bet you'll feel a lot better about your achievements along the way with waaaaay less 1 to 4 am unplanned strategy sessions.

Last edited:
Lots of sage advice here for sure. Have you ever restored a car before? I've done 2, in strong partnership and sharp contrast to my cheque book. You can definitely become fatigued along the way, one of mine was more of a rolling restoration but the 240z, which is by far the larger project, I'm never going to call I done. Point being if you sit down and develop a reasonable project plan with achievable milestones base on the new economics in the world, I bet you'll feel a lot better about your achievements along the way with waaaaay less 1 to 4 am unplanned strategy sessions.

Lov'It

My 2
Lots of sage advice here for sure. Have you ever restored a car before? I've done 2, in strong partnership and sharp contrast to my cheque book. You can definitely become fatigued along the way, one of mine was more of a rolling restoration but the 240z, which is by far the larger project, I'm never going to call it done. Point being if you sit down and develop a reasonable project plan with achievable milestones based on the new economics in the world, I bet you'll feel a lot better about your achievements along the way with waaaaay less 1 to 4 am unplanned strategy sessions.
My 240z was my favourite car of all time. Owned it back in the early 80’s. Had to sell it to build a house. Always hope to restore one some day.

Whatever happens, the one thing that, I think , we can all agree on is the quality of this build, I have done searches high and low and have yet to find anything remotely close to this thread... and if I keep the boat or let it go someone will have a boat for life!

I take pride in my work and knowing that during this build time I have received comments both private and open that my work would be undisputedly in comparison to seasoned professionals.

Im sure you need more unsolicited opinions so here goes:

If it was me and I had a reasonable offer on the table from a buyer, id seriously consider it. Ultimately only you can decide how much its worth to you if you keep it, as only you know how many hours of work and how much frustration you have into it already. As others mentioned, if you do intend to sell maybe something could be worked out with the buyer to pay you to finish it to your standards (if thats something that interests you)

It will cost a lot more money to finish, that much is obvious. Some of the numbers being thrown around seem a little outrageous to me... If indeed its actually going to cost another 100k to finish the project that should make your decision easy ;)

If you decide to continue, it will literally be the Taj Mahal of hourstons, of that I have no doubt!

Whatever happens, the one thing that, I think , we can all agree on is the quality of this build, I have done searches high and low and have yet to find anything remotely close to this thread... and if I keep the boat or let it go someone will have a boat for life!

I take pride in my work and knowing that during this build time I have received comments both private and open that my work would be undisputedly in comparison to seasoned professionals.

Whatever decision you make we can all agree that this thread has been incredibly entertaining to read and follow. And kudos to you for sharing the process

Ok, time to get on with it and back on track...:eek:

@Corey_lax Thanks bud, windows done and looks great, a bit more clean up and finito :D The new black seal doesn't quite cover and hide the old grey seal but as long as she be water tight is all that counts... Dang don't know if I have any before pictures and all the moss growth that was on them but what a transformation!

IMG_0414.jpegIMG_0419.jpegIMG_0417.jpegIMG_0415.jpeg

Back