Ucluelet Nubie Question

BDog Fisher

I am looking to plan my first trip to Ucluelet for the July 29 to August 8. I hope to fish more protected waters and not go offshore. How is that time of year to catch chinook moving closer to surf line and into Barkley Sound?

Also how is the boat ramp and dock facilities at Island West?

thanks in advance

Good Ramp and docks at Island West. There's also a free ramp to use at the end of Seaplane base road has a nice dock finger for launch. There's also the government dock as well which has a day rate beside Island West.

Good Ramp and docks at Island West. There's also a free ramp to use at the end of Seaplane base road has a nice dock finger for launch. There's also the government dock as well which has a day rate beside Island West.

thanks, how about my timing of the trip to catch the Chinook moving into the sound? I would like to stay in more protected waters. Fishing first week in August.

there should be lots of fish at that time. coho and Chinook should be on fire. Wya point, the light house and most inside spots should hold fish

The inside wasn’t on fire last year at that time and we did better offshore than in shore. They will be around just do expect it to be full of springs as you will more than likely be disappointed.

thanks, how about my timing of the trip to catch the Chinook moving into the sound? I would like to stay in more protected waters. Fishing first week in August.

It's really hard to say some years the shoreline has been good July August and early September other years not so much. Each year can be different, if there's a bunch of bait stacked up on South Bank the fish will be there, usually mid to late August is the most consistent along the shoreline each year. But some years July is great, there's no certain answer except there are lots of fish to be caught here if they aren't on the shoreline they are somewhere nearby and people will be catching them. That's why pop by the cleaning tables between 1-3pm and you should be able to get some tips for the following day when you head out :)

Sounds good. And if I am understanding the regulations correct, the Chinook Size limit for offshore is removed starting August 1? 2 per day

Inside was OK first week of August. We did limits for 3 people early August, but size was down.

I am looking to plan my first trip to Ucluelet for the July 29 to August 8. I hope to fish more protected waters and not go offshore. How is that time of year to catch chinook moving closer to surf line and into Barkley Sound?

Also how is the boat ramp and dock facilities at Island West?

thanks in advance

May I inquire why venturing a little offshore has you concerned, is your boat size a concern or is it the weather. At times in can be calm as glass out there. Last year when we were out most days is was unbelievably calm. Offshore at Ucluelet doesn’t have to mean 15 - 20 miles. Some of the better so called offshore spots are only 5 to 7 miles, Star fish is maybe 12 miles I believe straight offshore so not a big deal. Listen to the forecast and watch the skies and the seas you can tell when it’s time to head in. Like a few have said though, the Lighthouse, Wya are all good spots that if you out in some time you should be able to pull some fish from.

May I inquire why venturing a little offshore has you concerned, is your boat size a concern or is it the weather. At times in can be calm as glass out there. Last year when we were out most days is was unbelievably calm. Offshore at Ucluelet doesn’t have to mean 15 - 20 miles. Some of the better so called offshore spots are only 5 to 7 miles, Star fish is maybe 12 miles I believe straight offshore so not a big deal. Listen to the forecast and watch the skies and the seas you can tell when it’s time to head in. Like a few have said though, the Lighthouse, Wya are all good spots that if you out in some time you should be able to pull some fish from.

No we have suitable boat. I have ran offshore for years off Nootka and Esperanza. I am just looking for a more accessible base camp with no crappy gravel road and Decent fishing locations that are closer to the dock. I am tired of the 2 hour run from Tahsis, etc. But it seems the way these fisheries are going offshore is where the best, consistent fish is

No we have suitable boat. I have ran offshore for years off Nootka and Esperanza. I am just looking for a more accessible base camp with no crappy gravel road and Decent fishing locations that are closer to the dock. I am tired of the 2 hour run from Tahsis, etc. But it seems the way these fisheries are going offshore is where the best, consistent fish is
Don’t worry you will slay your 2 a day

Like Aces stated there won’t be any issues finding your fish. Especially if you have the experience it seems you’ll do fine. There shouldn’t be any need to be heading 2 hrs out from Ukee to find your fish, can’t see it anyways.

Easy places close buy the inlet are Little Beach just north of Amphitrite light house as well as Way point. For some reason we always do better at Little Beach on spoons and hearing at Way.

Back