Losing prawn gear left and right, help!

Caryn Eliason

Have done some prawning in Indian Arm and Gulf islands for a year now, with some success when we can get one pulled back in. Have recently been setting traps in areas where current has been too strong, pulling big buoys underwater, unable to retrieve pots due to floats being pulled underwater or too strong of current to pull them up in. Even lost our pot hauler off the side of the boat (24 ft trophy) by trying to pull up in too strong of current? Or maybe stangged on something? Want to keep prawning but need to figure out currents and what to stay away from. Any advice?

I have never had that issue especially up IA. Are you sure you have enough line?

Spin in a circle when you think you know what depth you're in. If your reading on your sounder changes drastically you may need to adjust your transducer. If it's pointed back you could be getting a false reading.

Has this been recently? The commercial season has been open for a while now and you might have had a commercial set dropped across your line. Unlikely to get your gear back if that happens. I don't bother prawning during the commercial season but I know some who do and they avoid commercial areas or keep to small out of the way spots that are not worth the effort for the commercial boats to target.

I use the current charts for the areas I want to prawn and drop pots one hour before slack current and retrieve at slack. If you can prawn around the smaller tide you will have a better experience.

Drop your traps heading towards shore pull them heading away towards deeper water. Add weight to your trap 8# or so, some rebar or similar attached to the bottom with cables ties is usually enough I have found this works better as opposed to dropping a cannonball or similar on the line.

You might have to avoid strong current times... I had my floats go underwater a couple weeks ago (as I mentioned in the reports) but I run a lot of weight in the traps so I knew they wouldn't move. Someone I know was able to retrieve them the next day with less current because the floats had returned to the surface. Make sure you have ample line, heavy weighted traps and if you want to fish during heavy currents you can use a big Scotchman with about 5 feet of line off of that to a trailer bouy. You should never rip the trap puller off the side of the boat though..

My floats are big enough to float my two traps lined with heavy chain and a 5 pound line weight. That is if they don't hit bottom.... I missed my shelf a few weeks ago up Indian Arm and came back 5 hours to a half sunken float so probably only one trap was on the ground but they both came up clean and empty so maybe both were just floating there.. The current isn't that crazy up Indian Arm. How big are your floats?

Shoot sorry to hear that. I had a scary situation pulling in a crab trap solo (commercial trap on my rec boat) in a current and it wasn't fun. It likely put my boat, life and trap puller in danger. Don't give up on prawning but give up on pulling up traps in scary currents. Follow G-Auto's example weight them down and come back the next day. When you are great at handling the boat approach the buoy from down current very slowly and try to either gain line by picking up buoy and keeping it alongside as you advance on the trap, or if you boat has to swing around only start pulling with the trap puller once you are in reverse, slowly advancing on the trap. Not sure if that makes sense but, if you can get friend who is very experienced to come out with you they should be able to do it.

Navionics has good current predictions (look for the arrows and click on them) but the book the marine stores sell with the monthly cards and current maps (forget the name) will give you better predictions for the areas you are prawning in. I do not prawn in anything over 1kn in the areas I prawn, almost no one prawns exactly where the current predictions are published so there has to be an extrapolation to the where you are pawning if that makes sense.

Be safe out there!

Has this been recently? The commercial season has been open for a while now and you might have had a commercial set dropped across your line. Unlikely to get your gear back if that happens. I don't bother prawning during the commercial season but I know some who do and they avoid commercial areas or keep to small out of the way spots that are not worth the effort for the commercial boats to target.
Ok thanks this is true.... the last pot was set in same vicinity as commercial, Bare Island 9.

My floats are big enough to float my two traps lined with heavy chain and a 5 pound line weight. That is if they don't hit bottom.... I missed my shelf a few weeks ago up Indian Arm and came back 5 hours to a half sunken float so probably only one trap was on the ground but they both came up clean and empty so maybe both were just floating there.. The current isn't that crazy up Indian Arm. How big are your floats?
Used scotch man float and 2 foam floats. This one did go under for a little while. I’m sure the current was way too strong to be prawning in..... now I’m realizing...

Shoot sorry to hear that. I had a scary situation pulling in a crab trap solo (commercial trap on my rec boat) in a current and it wasn't fun. It likely put my boat, life and trap puller in danger. Don't give up on prawning but give up on pulling up traps in scary currents. Follow G-Auto's example weight them down and come back the next day. When you are great at handling the boat approach the buoy from down current very slowly and try to either gain line by picking up buoy and keeping it alongside as you advance on the trap, or if you boat has to swing around only start pulling with the trap puller once you are in reverse, slowly advancing on the trap. Not sure if that makes sense but, if you can get friend who is very experienced to come out with you they should be able to do it.

Navionics has good current predictions (look for the arrows and click on them) but the book the marine stores sell with the monthly cards and current maps (forget the name) will give you better predictions for the areas you are prawning in. I do not prawn in anything over 1kn in the areas I prawn, almost no one prawns exactly where the current predictions are published so there has to be an extrapolation to the where you are pawning if that makes sense.

Be safe out there!
Thanks for the encouragement! I don’t want to give up! I love eating the prawns and being out fishing!!! Will check out Navinoics.

Back