2020 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m going to be there next week for a couple days, is it possible to fish from shore anywhere for some sockeye? Thanks.

Seaducer. Fish the paper mill dam falls

I fished at the Paper Mill Dam on the Somass River this morning. There were about 14 fisherman on both sides of the river. Fishing action was good from 8 to 920, then it went dead for the next four hours and I never saw anyone hook up again. I got two small fish (2lb) but let them go think a bigger one is coming. NOT.

All the fish caught in the morning were around 3 lb. I believe the reason for small fish is they could swim through the net mesh and not get caught up in one of the numerous nets below the dam. There were five boats in the paper mill pool and the nets were probably larger mesh to only retain larger Sockeyes.

I drove back over the Port Alberni hump at 1:30pm and the drive took 25 minute to get to the island Hwy. I past over 20 boats heading towards Port Alberni or Tofino. Also the Port Alberni marina was packed with trailer this morning.

Lots of people wanting to get out fishing and keep a fish.

Seaducer. Fish the paper mill dam falls

I fished at the Paper Mill Dam on the Somass River this morning. There were about 14 fisherman on both sides of the river. Fishing action was good from 8 to 920, then it went dead for the next four hours and I never saw anyone hook up again. I got two small fish (2lb) but let them go think a bigger one is coming. NOT.

All the fish caught in the morning were around 3 lb. I believe the reason for small fish is they could swim through the net mesh and not get caught up in one of the numerous nets below the dam. There were five boats in the paper mill pool and the nets were probably larger mesh to only retain larger Sockeyes.

I drove back over the Port Alberni hump at 1:30pm and the drive took 25 minute to get to the island Hwy. I past over 20 boats heading towards Port Alberni or Tofino. Also the Port Alberni marina was packed with trailer this morning.

Lots of people wanting to get out fishing and keep a fish.
Thanks!! Very helpful. See ya next week! What were you chucking out there? What was the set up?

Been some great Sockeye fishing.. Pink black hoochies 33 to 90 ft ... :) If you have chance get out there. Fsh arent big but i will be bar qing some fresh stuff tonight :)

Near Coos bay, 4 in the boat and 3 lost in about a hour this morning. Drive back up from Vic tomorrow, fish rest of the week out of China Creek...... sure nice not running up to Barkley sound every day.

I was fishing Big Bank yesterday and saw a couple of sockeye jumpers so they should still be coming in!

Is the limit still 2 per day?? any plans to increase it to 4 per day ?? thanx in advance for any replies.......C.A.

2 per day at this time... we have to see what the next up date brings but heard that it may increase :)

2 per day at this time... we have to see what the next up date brings but heard that it may increase :)

I heard there is a commercial opening tomorrow ? I was thinking of towing my boat up Thursday but wondering now if the run will wiped out by then...

they not fishing in town .. they have a 6 hour daytime opening.. \I will be out tomorrow i can post up how it was :)

they not fishing in town .. they have a 6 hour daytime opening.. \I will be out tomorrow i can post up how it was :)

Ya the opening is up the inlet a ways I think....that's kind of why I'm worried about the fishing come Thursday.....6 hour opening isn't to bad though. Defiantly appreciate any updates for the next couple days, thanks for the reply !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back