Suggestions / help on new boat.

I have a line on a supposedly lightly used fresh water only 2016 Kingfisher 2425 Experience. So far numbers sound good we will see what the boat looks like and how it’s rigged, should get some more solid numbers and info in a couple days.

you could just go new with the riptide saratoga 2685 for $75K. 23.5 footer with extended platform. 6500lbs wet.

I'm having the same discussions with the boss. Except we're looking for a welded aluminum mainly for lakes (OK, Shu, Koot in particular). 90% of the time will not have more than 3 people in the boat. The Sea Runner 190 ET HT was near the top of my list. Seems like they are a good $10k cheaper new than the 20ft Chinook or 2025 Escape. Not to hijack the thread, but feedback appreciated. I'm thinking 20ft is max that I need...also want something I can manage by myself sometimes.

I'm having the same discussions with the boss. Except we're looking for a welded aluminum mainly for lakes (OK, Shu, Koot in particular). 90% of the time will not have more than 3 people in the boat. The Sea Runner 190 ET HT was near the top of my list. Seems like they are a good $10k cheaper new than the 20ft Chinook or 2025 Escape. Not to hijack the thread, but feedback appreciated. I'm thinking 20ft is max that I need...also want something I can manage by myself sometimes.
20’ alloy boat shouldn’t be a problem by yourself. Sounds like you’ve done your research

I just went through the process of finding a builder for an 18(ish) center console. Got a few quotes from various builders before I ended up going with a custom built 20.5LOA CC by Shadowline Boats. I looked at all kinds of boats from all kinds of builders. From CNC kits to custom builds to mass produced designs like the hewescrafts etc. If you have any questions feel free to send me a msg.

no i just buy stuff from them annually.

What sort of things are you buying? Do they make off-the-shelf components for boaters/fisherman? Or are you commissioning some custom accessories?

I know you've been tooting the horn for Riptide quite a bit. The one that was listed at Thunderbird seemed to have some very wavy hullsides on the port side (look at the pic on the trailer). It looks like there's a lot of seadek hiding the floor and whatnot...makes me sceptical of the build, but I haven't been on one in person.

https://thunderbirdmarine.com/yacht-sales/18-riptide-marine-cordova-1875/

they make custom stuff in aluminum. ive bought trailer axles, custom cargo trailer, boat radar arch and trailer beds from them. i dont recommend their 18 footer. i do recommend the 2685. ive seen both in person. their aluminum work is top notch and cheap. finishing less so. they sub out the finishing so do it yourself

you could just go new with the riptide saratoga 2685 for $75K. 23.5 footer with extended platform. 6500lbs wet.

Thanks for the heads up it’s appreciated but weight is one thing I’m trying to get away from. I’m dragging around 7000lbs now and trying to get away from it.

I viewed a 190 the other day,, I found the deck quite small for my needs. Even the Kingfisher 2025 although a little better I find a little small. Not ruling out a 2025 but they are a little tight in the deck.

I am getting some decent numbers coming in from some dealers on new builds. They are all a little cocky right now because they are moving product which sounds weird I know but so many have sold out stock it’s crazy. But I’m in no rush,, boat dealers get pretty hungry come Nov, Dec and Jan. I’ll wait them out and get what I want for my price.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up it’s appreciated but weight is one thing I’m trying to get away from. I’m dragging around 7000lbs now and trying to get away from it.

yeah a good 20-22 footer is a rare beast.
have you looked at a 20' Cabin from Ironwood with no cabin bulkhead, before options is $75k. so in your ballpark.

It’s looking like a possibility I will be going new, unless the used 2425 Kingfisher works out still waiting on the final numbers on that one. By the looks of what I’ve seen so far talking with dealers the Hewescraft 210 sea runner is the most square footage for your buck. Kingfisher seems to be one boat size up on their prices compared to Hewescraft. Both manufacturers offer very similar construction and fit and finish with the Hewescraft offering a fare amount more storage capability which is important as those small boats don’t have a tonne to begin with.

One thing I’ve ran past them is rather than a 175 or 200 main and a kicker is twin 90’s. Lots of advantages to twins over a single. Thoughts on this guys ??

Yes you bet, they are in there but I can get as good a deal in Edmonton. So far by the looks of it the best price and eager to please and work with me has been Cycle North out of a Prince George. But like I say all of them are a little cocky right now but I have the time to wait them out, if I have the unit in my shop by mid winter say February even I’ll be happy so we’ll see.

Thanks Tieoneon,, maybe I’ll bug them again in a month if nothing positive happens

Back