Striper 2301 and 2601 ride quality vs Double Eagle and Gradys

michael_reiber

Hey guys looking for some honest reviews here from people who have been in these boats in rough weather and also been on lots of other boats to compare them too. We currently run a podded 20' Double Eagle which is amazing in rough weather, most rough days if any other boat is offshore we are usually there right there as well. Its done everything from inshore fishing to tuna 50miles off shore for us but were are starting to want something a little newer and a little nicer. Our biggest concern is we do not want to go to a less capable boat then what we already have. Ive been on Gradys lots and well we love them as a fishing platform they are bit to heavy (to much of fuel) and don't offer much in the way of a cuddy. We fish year round averaging about 150 hours on the main a year so keeping fuel cost low is fairly important. We also have a newer Suzuki 250 0n our double eagle so a 2301 Striper would be just about perfect as most are powered with 225s so we would move our 250 onto the Striper and the 225 onto the Double Eagle before selling.

Long story short if anyone has been on a 2601 or a 2301 and also been on Gradys or Double Eagles if you could try to compare there ride quality that would be great! Also the 250 wouldn't be enough power for a 2601 I don't think? What are most getting for economy and speed out of a 2601.

Cheers!

Michael

I run a 2601 with twin 200 zuks. It’s over kill but then I don’t need to run the mains to hard to cruise at 35mph. They came originally with a 225 for entry level so a 250 would do the job but just barely. I can get up on plane and do 30mph with one of my 200s. It just takes a bit longer. The 2601 handles rough water and chop well. It has large reverse chines so it gets on plane fast and is very stable. You need good trim tabs in a following sea to get the bow up. I’d say a Grady would ride a bit better because it would be heavier but not a huge difference if comparing the same size. The best handling boats in rough water I’ve been on is pursuits. A 29-30 pursuit is the best I’ve experienced.

I have a 2101 with a 5.0l I/O and frankly try to avoid rough water...not because I don’t think the boat can’t handle it but more because I don’t like it. However, when I have been caught in rough stuff, I do like the way the boat handles. The deep V and 400l gas tank means a lot of stability. I can run 20 kts in sea conditions that I’d be hesitant to run 12 in my old Campion 542.

I’ve been fortunate to have gained a decent bit of experience on many boats. I’ve guided and run a Grady 232 Gulfstream (300hp verado) and seen some nasty weather in it and I trust that more than most other boats. If you’ve been on a Grady you understand how brilliant of a boat they are. I noticed with the double eagles (mind you it was a 185 with a 150 Yamaha so can’t speak too much on the bigger ones) that even when trimmed properly they pound and don’t “sit” in the water the way a Grady does. My only suggestion if you were to get a Grady would be to slightly overpower her, twin 200s or 225s would give you plenty of power and pretty decent efficiency. Stripers are great boats, what I’ve noticed about them is the build quality for the cockpit/Cuddy is cheap. Fished out of a 2301 and noticed that when she gets on plane she feels like she’s working really hard to stay there, likely could’ve been the power option. The bow on stripers doesn’t attract me like the Grady. Look up pictures of both, you’ll notice a longer, deeper, sharper bow on the Grady and it’ll cut anything. The kingfisher 2425 (225 Yamaha) rides pretty nice, still pounds in bigger waves. Aluminum boats tend to ride rougher than glass, just the way the impact carries throughout the hull. Trophy’s are trash, don’t ever buy one. Sea sports and ospreys are worth a look, they are some seaworthy boats that don’t cost too much. The bow on an osprey is just sexy. Pursuits and Wellcraft are also incredible boats that many agree compete side by side with Gradys. Hourston 23 sedans with a pod are some sweeeeeet boats, those are really worth a look imo. The most important thing you should take away from this is that Trophy’s suck and don’t even consider one.

The most important thing you should take away from this is that Trophy’s suck and don’t even consider one.

to the OP. I absolutely disagree. I have owned a 2004 trophy 2002 with a 175 optimax since new. Also spent plenty of time on my buddies cc Grady and open bow Grady of similar length. Both had more HP and in a 4 stroke. The quality of build and mass of the Grady is better, but I don’t think enough to justify the price. I have LOVED my trophy and $ for $ I think you’d have a hard time getting a better boat.

Hands down a Striper is going to handle rougher weather. I go to the west coast every year and the deep v of My 2301 your best friend in the swells on the outside

to the OP. I absolutely disagree. I have owned a 2004 trophy 2002 with a 175 optimax since new. Also spent plenty of time on my buddies cc Grady and open bow Grady of similar length. Both had more HP and in a 4 stroke. The quality of build and mass of the Grady is better, but I don’t think enough to justify the price. I have LOVED my trophy and $ for $ I think you’d have a hard time getting a better boat.
Hey man, all the power to ya. I got nothing against those who love them. They definitely have a following. I owned one for 5 years, a 1993 2059? I’ll never get another. In my experience and the majority of people that I know agree that they’re not the best boats. My buddy had a 2004 2359 with the i/0 and it looked absolutely beautiful to be honest but performed poorly. You’re still looking at a MINIMUM of 20-25kfor a decent trophy these days, I’d sooner get a hourston, striper, Boston whaler (older ones, yes I know newer ones go for 100+k) etc.. if you love your boat, then by all means man you go out and slay in that boat I’ll be cheerin ya on, but buddy seems like he’s looking for a boat with decent performance, Trophys simply do not perform or handle big seas well, large part of that would be due to the huge lack of draft in those boats. I don’t doubt your boats dialed in and slays em though my friend!

I had just set up my 21' striper with rear helm and new arch when I happened to go buy a survival salus suit and came across a 2601 dressed out with everything you could want on a boat for a smoking deal so I had some explaining to do to the wife...a nonboater! Any way fished the 2 boats for a year and hands down the pros and cons list, the 26 won out. It has a 250 yamaha two stroke...yes underpowered! It burns 15gallons an hour at 4500 and 23 mph...open it up its pushing 20 gallons an hour for 30mph. I just pick places I can trailer more than cruise. The ride is fantastic with 160 gallons of fuel on board !....its just not there for long~if anyonehasa 300 they are looking to sell I'm all ears

Back