2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

been in Bamfield for a week now and here's a quick recap. Tuesday hit the wall early and hit 2 small springs maybe 5-6 lbs released.
Wed hit Edward king with my neighbor. a beauty old timer in Bamfield and hit 8 springs including 4 cookie cutter high teens. most on white hootchies although a spoon got a few hits.
Thursday my buds came up and we hit Kirby for the evening. got 1 spring.
Friday morning headed straight to Edward king and found fish again. boxed 4 springs and had a great double header with 17 lb fish.
both on white hootchies. Sat it blew up and was forced to fish a small Tak at ohaut. managed 2 10lb. springs . Sunday was again rough seas but tried Kirby, ohuat and even did a Whittlestone to Aguilar Tak and completely struck out on anything worth keeping.
today that changed when we started at Kirby and got 1 fish. decided to troll East to Sanford and at the hump off ohaut hit a spring. there's was piles of bait so just did laps around the hump. caught a bunch of dinkers and then as my buddy's playing with downrigger. rod gets hammered. turns out to be a 31,lb spring that was my buddy's first tyee. a 2 tone green razorback spoon my buddy picked out was the ticket. Capt mo.

A pretty terrible past two days fishing for us. Went 12 hrs without a bite between Cree and Swale. Anyone finding them?

First Barkley Sound report of the year from Team Salty Alice! Spent a few days in the Sound and enjoyed the wind and chop and beef jerky and cussing. Our first trip of the year is always about goofing around, testing gear, prospecting, and trying out new techniques. Here's how we netted out:
Salmon
- Late June = white hoochies, or variants thereof, are the usual order of business. Best spot for us was out near Beale but the seas were big enough that boats were disappearing between troughs. Picked up a few nice chinooks up to mid teens which is perfect eating size in my opinion. Bellies of the salmon were stuffed full of white squid and some reeeeally tiny bait. Gutting the fish we saw the digested squid drifting away and it was remarkable to see how identical they look to hoochies. Also ran some pistachio hoochies which did well but pure white seemed best for us.
- Ran some spoons but that only brought in the shakers for us this time around
- Tried our hand at Swale and Cree but only found shakers there

Ling
- Ling a ding dong. Did well during our roaming all over the sound and hit our limit. Nice to pick up lings this time of year as I find them harder to dredge up later in the summer. Thanks to all the members who gave me pointers in past years when lings were my white whale and I couldn't catch one to save my life.

Cabezon (The GigaBullhead)
- I have no idea what to do with this thing. Damn it's ugly. Poison roe? Blech. It only wants to lay on its belly on the cleaning station which makes filleting a pain in the butt. Frozen and vacuum sealed until I figure out how to prepare it or exorcise it using holy water.

Filleting
- After reading many posts on these fine forums I picked up a North Arm 9" filleting knife and this was its maiden voyage. Damn this thing is nice; might be an actual light sabre. My sword-sized Bubba Blade shall now be relegated to getting through spines.

Whales
- Had a bit of engine trouble and were drifting along when two humpbacks surfaced right next to the boat, maybe 10' away. They circled around us with their pectorals in the air, went under the boat, and generally followed us. Awe inspiring, and intimidating at the same time. We understand the distance rules but they had come to us. Waited until they were a safe distance and got moving using the kicker and left them to their dance moves.

Radio Chatter
- Monday wasn't super hot for some and they filled the radio with random banter. Not sure it was in keeping with radio protocol but was sure as heck entertaining. When the call came out from the whale tour operator "Has anybody seen any whales around?" there was an *instant* reply in a faux teary pleading voice of "Just leave them alone!".

Trailer Logistics
- Worth mentioning. My wife asked what I wanted for my birthday and I said I don't need stuff, I need "Trailer logistics". For the season she will help load the boat, take the trailer away after launch, be back at the ramp to meet us when we come back. Gentlemen or Ladies, ask your significant other for trailer logistics for your next birthday. Highly recommend. P.S. Few things are hotter than a wife that can calmly back up a trailer in the middle of a busy Clutesi ramp.

All in all a great trip. Came home with loads of fish and great memories. Will be back in a few weeks!

Attachments

• IMG_9063_s.jpg
    IMG_9063_s.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_9076_s.jpg
    IMG_9076_s.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_9081_s.jpg
    IMG_9081_s.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_9034_s.jpg
    IMG_9034_s.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_9012_s.jpg
    IMG_9012_s.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_9041_s.jpg
    IMG_9041_s.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 281
- I have no idea what to do with this thing. Damn it's ugly. Poison roe? Blech. It only wants to lay on its belly on the cleaning station which makes filleting a pain in the butt. Frozen and vacuum sealed until I figure out how to prepare it or exorcise it using holy water.

If you like 'meaty' fish-Shark, Halibut- then you'll like Cabezon.

Finally I am coming out to bamfield I will be there for a week of fishing for the first time! Get to celebrate my 40th and stag; Cannot wait! It’s been 4 years of trying and every summer it falls apart and damn Covid almost made it 5.

we are motoring up from port alberni, we will be leaving the dock dark n early. Is there anything I/we should be aware of? In reading the reports it sounds like Sox opened up so I’d imagine there will be some commercial traffic and sports so maybe busier but other than that what should I be looking for? Any intel will help.

as for fishing bamfield, I’ve done some research and read a lot of regs but a little intel(no honey holes) would be really appreciated! We want to Target salmon,ling and Hali the trifecta!!

in posts about a week ago there was a lot of chatter about squid, I’ve bought a couple rigs and hoping to catch a few.....is this a pipe dream or might they still be around?

again, any intel will help. If I leave there with no fish but great stories I will be just as happy(the soon to be wife might not be so happy with a empty freezer tho)

Thanks.

Depending when your going, the river may be busy with activity for sockeye so will have to watch for that navigation. Take some small spoons sometimes this is the difference in getting bites or not. Lots of spots to check out for salmon, great fishing right in front of bamfield along the wall or up to cape Beal.

Finally I am coming out to bamfield I will be there for a week of fishing for the first time! Get to celebrate my 40th and stag; Cannot wait! It’s been 4 years of trying and every summer it falls apart and damn Covid almost made it 5.

we are motoring up from port alberni, we will be leaving the dock dark n early. Is there anything I/we should be aware of? In reading the reports it sounds like Sox opened up so I’d imagine there will be some commercial traffic and sports so maybe busier but other than that what should I be looking for? Any intel will help.

as for fishing bamfield, I’ve done some research and read a lot of regs but a little intel(no honey holes) would be really appreciated! We want to Target salmon,ling and Hali the trifecta!!

in posts about a week ago there was a lot of chatter about squid, I’ve bought a couple rigs and hoping to catch a few.....is this a pipe dream or might they still be around?

again, any intel will help. If I leave there with no fish but great stories I will be just as happy(the soon to be wife might not be so happy with a empty freezer tho)

Thanks.
If,as you say, you are leaving dark and early then watch your speed and keep a good lookout for deadheads or you might never make Bamfield
I know a few people that have had their day ruined , excluding the boat, by going in the dark and ending up having an argument with a lump of wood.
Enjoy!

First Barkley Sound report of the year from Team Salty Alice! Spent a few days in the Sound and enjoyed the wind and chop and beef jerky and cussing. Our first trip of the year is always about goofing around, testing gear, prospecting, and trying out new techniques. Here's how we netted out:
Salmon
- Late June = white hoochies, or variants thereof, are the usual order of business. Best spot for us was out near Beale but the seas were big enough that boats were disappearing between troughs. Picked up a few nice chinooks up to mid teens which is perfect eating size in my opinion. Bellies of the salmon were stuffed full of white squid and some reeeeally tiny bait. Gutting the fish we saw the digested squid drifting away and it was remarkable to see how identical they look to hoochies. Also ran some pistachio hoochies which did well but pure white seemed best for us.
- Ran some spoons but that only brought in the shakers for us this time around
- Tried our hand at Swale and Cree but only found shakers there

Ling
- Ling a ding dong. Did well during our roaming all over the sound and hit our limit. Nice to pick up lings this time of year as I find them harder to dredge up later in the summer. Thanks to all the members who gave me pointers in past years when lings were my white whale and I couldn't catch one to save my life.

Filleting
- After reading many posts on these fine forums I picked up a North Arm 9" filleting knife and this was its maiden voyage. Damn this thing is nice; might be an actual light sabre. My sword-sized Bubba Blade shall now be relegated to getting through spines.

Whales
- Had a bit of engine trouble and were drifting along when two humpbacks surfaced right next to the boat, maybe 10' away. They circled around us with their pectorals in the air, went under the boat, and generally followed us. Awe inspiring, and intimidating at the same time. We understand the distance rules but they had come to us. Waited until they were a safe distance and got moving using the kicker and left them to their dance moves.

Radio Chatter
- Monday wasn't super hot for some and they filled the radio with random banter. Not sure it was in keeping with radio protocol but was sure as heck entertaining. When the call came out from the whale tour operator "Has anybody seen any whales around?" there was an *instant* reply in a faux teary pleading voice of "Just leave them alone!".

Trailer Logistics
- Worth mentioning. My wife asked what I wanted for my birthday and I said I don't need stuff, I need "Trailer logistics". For the season she will help load the boat, take the trailer away after launch, be back at the ramp to meet us when we come back. Gentlemen or Ladies, ask your significant other for trailer logistics for your next birthday. Highly recommend. P.S. Few things are hotter than a wife that can calmly back up a trailer in the middle of a busy Clutesi ramp.

All in all a great trip. Came home with loads of fish and great memories. Will be back in a few weeks!
U r hilarious! Lived the cabazon description. We felt much the same way when we caught r first one. Ugly brute. Hubby was about to toss it back, when I read that their diet is primarily crab and their meat is firm and sweet. Into the box it went!

Back