Angling in Sooke - August

Nugget

Hey guys! Curious over the years what percentage of Chinook you retain are less than the 80cm slot limit (for the sooke area).

Average size of fish caught in Sooke in Aug is 17lb, 18lb or 80+ cm. As it get's later in Aug the fish get bigger and not as many fish around. Most people target larger fish close to shore at Otter Point so maybe there are smaller fish farther off shore? Out of 15 trips we only retained 2 fish under 14lb.

It's going to be tricky trying to establish if a fish exceeds 80 CM while keeping it in the water... Unless you restrain it in a net in the water. It's fine in my 14 foot tinny, I can pull that off, not so easy in a Grady or Hourston hanging over the side trying to measure.

I suspect a lot of fish will be netted, onto the deck in the boat, measured and chucked back sans scales and protective layer. It's ********!

A person with a little experience can easily figure out what 80 cm is. It’s not rocket appliances. Who really can’t figure out within a couple cm what 80 is? I mean that’s almost an inch. Really? I agree it’s bs but I’m pretty sure I can gauge an 80 cm fish.

Having fished sooke a ton during the first two weeks of August I would say 30-40% of the Chinook I have retained over the years are 80cm and smaller. (Less than 15lbs).

A person with a little experience can easily figure out what 80 cm is. It’s not rocket appliances. Who really can’t figure out within a couple cm what 80 is? I mean that’s almost an inch. Really? I agree it’s bs but I’m pretty sure I can gauge an 80 cm fish.

Sure, I’m experienced as are many here and can guess pretty close too. What if you estimate wrong, net an 83 and put it on the deck? Measure and throw it back beat up?

Not trying to be an asshole. I know when the fish are close to the slot many will net, measure and throw back de-slimed 83’s.

FWIW... I’ve been able to do a pretty accurate measurement alongside, using a piece of 3/8” square stick a few inches longer than the max length. I glued a 2” piece at right angles to one end and a clear mark at the max length. Put the right angle piece at the tail and unless the fish was still really active I was able to get a pretty reliable length check.
It prevented me from netting several oversized fish last year.

Sure, I’m experienced as are many here and can guess pretty close too. What if you estimate wrong, net an 83 and put it on the deck? Measure and throw it back beat up?

Not trying to be an asshole. I know when the fish are close to the slot many will net, measure and throw back de-slimed 83’s.
They will have a better chance than the ones that hit the gill nets in the Fraser

True enough. A lot of those fish we’ll be releasing will actually be going to other places than the Fraser, if you believe the DNA data DFO is using for these lockdowns. 3% Fraser fish in area 19/20 is what the samples show.
Again, it’s a ******** rule.
Sofa king stupid

Yeh righttttt. Joe blow 5 day worker gets ramped up for the weekend. Buys his bait, gases up the boat and the truck, gets up at 4am to hit the ramp early...pays to launch get his gear in the water 15 minutes later at the Trap and hits a nice 17 pound spring. He is going to pack up and go home and hang out with the wife getting those chores done...ouch just hit my head falling off that turnip truck.

Excuse my lack of area knowledge but is there an area designation difference for Beecher inshore?
how does DFO check a licence marked as #20 ?

Back