2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but don't quote me on the regs. Handling is a pain. We bleed it in the water and then remove the wings, using gloves. Then plyers to remove the skin. Momma likes it baked with a tomato caper sauce. I've lost my Hali touch or I wouldn't touch them, but they are a delicacy some places, wedding and special occasions in Korea.

I have been told that people use a soup can to punch Scallops out of the wings and that they taste very much like a real scallop, I have not tried or tasted them. Anyone confirm that?

I’ve had skate scallops before. At a Chinese restaurant that was passing them as the real thing. I never went back. That being said, I’d eat it other ways

Went to Oak Bay first Tuesday A.M,flats were full of bait but no salmon bites.I think I was too early,not flooding yet.Moved to Constance and was into salmon on my first drop (jigging).Probably hit 8-10 in 2 hours in the 7-15 lb. range.Only one other boat out there on a dead flat beauty day.

Are there any Coho out there yet or are we too early. I though last year, about this time, out in the shipping lanes at about 50-60' it was possible. The freezer is starting to look empty.
The hali gods have not been nice to me this year.

Cheers.

A couple of weeks ago there were some coho on the surface but I didn't see or catch any yesterday.

Was out there this morning. One unclipped coho about 5 lbs at about 50ft over 120ft of water. Usual pile of rockfish, rocks and sub legal lings.
Two limits of dungies all from one trap. The other trap had a few rock crabs and an unweighted lost trap tangled with it. No name, weedy but salvageable.
The big highlight was a swim past by a Humpback. It did a wide circle around my boat. I was thrilled.

Was out there this morning. One unclipped coho about 5 lbs at about 50ft over 120ft of water. Usual pile of rockfish, rocks and sub legal lings.
Two limits of dungies all from one trap. The other trap had a few rock crabs and an unweighted lost trap tangled with it. No name, weedy but salvageable.
The big highlight was a swim past by a Humpback. It did a wide circle around my boat. I was thrilled.
Sounds totally amazing! Were you jigging when you hooked up the coho? And are we allowed to keep the hatchery coho?

Lots of coho out past discovery and on the back side of discovery in Haro. Looks like you can keep Hatchery coho only this year in Area 19 and Area 20. Looks like 2 per day. Until Dec 31 and minimum size is 30cm.

From DFO Site:
Coho Salmon (Hatchery) Area 19 and 20, 30cm Min, Barbless Hook & Line 2/4/- Open until Dec 31 (See Restrictions) But there aren't any restrictions?

Can anyone advise on this. I have never seen this before? Coho are usually closed until Oct 1?

Sounds totally amazing! Were you jigging when you hooked up the coho? And are we allowed to keep the hatchery coho?
I was trolling when I got the coho. I was marking fish at 30 to 80 ft. About 500m east of Brodie. I lost the schools when I went too far out. The shallow rod had the hits and the fish.
I had the fly rod with me but the fish weren't as shallow and plentiful as the week before.

Got out this morning in oak bay as the wind was not blowing a gale. Some nice crab and a few decent bottom fish to the boat. It sure is nice not to have the americans in there yachts throwing up huge wakes. Hope it stays that way for the rest of the year.

19 keeper crabs after a llllllooong deep soak. Couple strings of weighted prawn traps went for a wander but only a 1/2 a km this time. Guess 15lbs of weight a string isn't enough. Blew a 40amp fuse and some arms pulling them up. Are the new Extreme Ace haulers any better than the old ones?

One hard tug that looked like a Hali smash but other than that fed the dog fish. 3 happy little boys came back to the dock but we almost had a sea sickness mutiny before a nap in the Cuddy calmed the wildest and oldest. RCMP gave us some stickers and red arm bands after asking 20 questions just before we pulled anchor after fishing 400 feet for the first time on a phantom pinnacle. We started hauling traps which put the boys over the moon playing with critters.

Looks like some good tides next few days....anyone have a great Hali spot and a 10000lb boat who needs a couple of deck hands who don't puke, age 3 and 43? Looks like the winds might keep the Hali fishing in tight. We'll be going for crabs and a quick fish Tuesday night to feed family for Canada day. Enjoy the broken work week or is everyone loading up the RV's and Boats and heading up island? Either way enjoy Canada Day.

Let a beauty go on the flats east of Race Rocks today. Measured in the water with my boat hook. 65”. Chart says
141 lb. Got a 45 and a 32. Salmon heads from pinks caught at 5 am off Sooke. Done by 1230 and towed someone from Race to esquimalt anglers with a broken down Suzuki 90

Wow, that’s a long tow. They didn’t have a kicker? Good fish karma to you for helping them.

We anchored up with the fleet between William and Albert near the shipping lanes, but no love today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back