Re-wiring 18.2 Hourston Hardtop

InterMechanico

Good morning, Everyone.

I'm wondering if anyone can chime in on their experience with updating the wiring and electrical on an older boat.

I have a good understanding of DC electrical systems, and a lot of experience diagnosing and repairing them as well.

I'm just looking for others' experience with what worked best to complete the project, and maybe what to avoid....

The boat belongs to my brother and I, and is a 1987 Hourston Glascraft 18.2 Hardtop w/bulkhead. The drive is a Volvo Penta AQ211A (305 cu.in GM/290 SP outdrive)

Options?

-Purchasing a generic harness made to spec
-Sourcing an OEM Volvo Penta harness
-Building a harness from scratch on site
-Not bothering to replace the harness and gauges at all, and just repairing what's there

Thank you!

20190709_150321.jpg 20190703_095251.jpg 20190709_150321.jpg
Screenshot_20200625-104607_Firefox.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200625-104607_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20200625-104607_Firefox.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
i do blue sea dualbus hubs 2AWG interconnecting them between battery, rear, cockpit and midsection. then split out 12AWG to branch circuits. it works very well.
for ancillary connections i do 6 conductor 14 awg power cable you get in spools. go direct in multiple runs from engine to cockpit or where-ever its required. if you need 12 circuits do 2 runs of it in conduit.

What exactly are you asking your showing pictures of the motor which is only part of a marine electrical system. Are you planning to re-wire everything..

We went blue seas “add a battery” with acr and one house/deep cycle. You will then have to adapt based on your own setup. I calculated our requirements for the front end components and ended up running a #6 2conductor to the helm for all the front accessories to a switch panel with the necessary circuit breaker at the stern. From there you can branch/fuse each individual component. The downriggers and puller circuits are on a blue seas push button circuit breaker panel located near the batteries with #10 to puller and #12 to riggers there’s a separate fuse panel near the batteries for the bilge pumps etc..

Each boats requirements will be different and there are a few ways to do it, a little more information about what your trying to achieve would be helpful.

to calculate your load there are multiple charts available online dc electrical requires high amperage and low voltage so make sure your calculating the entire “run” there and back...

At any rate use tinned marine wiring and proper heat shrink connectors

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.

I'll be re-wiring to replace aged out/corroded connections and out of date SFE fuse panel. I will be replacing instrumentation as well. I will definitely apply SAE or like standards for gauging conductors.

Sounds like just building fro. Scratch is the way to go though.

What about sourcing components locally? Western Marine through local parts store or is there a better way?

Julian

Amazon has been a good source, I deal with someone locally who is very good and orders through Payne’s and other local wholesalers.
if your on the north shore checkout three branch supply. Phil knows his stuff has been in the industry many years.

Amazon has been a good source, I deal with someone locally who is very good and orders through Payne’s and other local wholesalers.
if your on the north shore checkout three branch supply. Phil knows his stuff has been in the industry many years.
Thank you very much!

Back