Eating Your Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, sorry. What I meant was youre hearing what you want to hear. I agree that the DFO site and a lot of the regulations are convoluded and confusing, but I think the daily and poissession limits are fairly straightforward. Your daily limit is unaffected by the fish you consume no matter which way you slice it.

it all depends on the individuals interpretation of the word KEEP in this sentence

verb
  1. 1.
    have or retain possession of.

"The maximum number of a given fish species that a person is allowed to keep in one day." DFO

as far as i am concerned, once i have a shore lunch i am not in possession of that fish, or give to another person having a fishing licence on the boat it is now in there possession

it all depends on the individuals interpretation of the word KEEP in this sentence

verb
  1. 1.
    have or retain possession of.

"The maximum number of a given fish species that a person is allowed to keep in one day." DFO

as far as i am concerned, once i have a shore lunch i am not in possession of that fish, or give to another person having a fishing licence on the boat it is now in there possession

This is why for hunting and fishing the various governments produce a synopsis or guide to tell you what the intent or interpretation of the reg is for enforcement, likely as a result of case law from someone showing up with a dictionary and arguing what the the word “keep” means :). Page 10 here explains the issue of eating of a fish as it pertains to daily and possession limits. https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/sfg-gps-2019-eng.pdf

Pippen reached out for confirmation on this subject from DFO. Below is the response he received so this will be the final word on this topic.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

With regards to your question, after speaking to a fishery officer here is a quick rundown regarding possession limits and consuming your catch:

Your daily limit is your daily limit. Whether you consume it or not, if you catch your daily limit of something, you’re done for retention. Eating a fish does not eliminate it from your daily limit.

And your possession limit is also just that – you can only possess that amount until you get the fish to your ordinary place of residence. Usually, the possession limit is twice the daily limit. Eating a fish does eliminate it from your possession limit.

So as an example, if your daily limit for Coho is 2 and your possession limit is 4……..you could fish for 3 days like:

Day 1 – catch 2, eat 1

Day 2 – catch 2, eat 1

Day 3 – catch 2 – head home with 4 (which is your possession limit).

Then once your home, your possession limit goes to zero again.

Some species have annual limits. Those never get erased. If you can only catch 10 per year, you can only catch 10 per year…..regardless of what you do with them as long as you are staying within your daily/possession limits.

So with your question, you will be only to able to travel home with your possession limit for each species.

Hope this helps,

Edward Panis

Information Clerk
Communications Branch

Fisheries and Oceans Canada/Government of Canada
Edward.Panis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ Tel: 604-666-1704

Pêches et Océans Canada / Gouvernement du CanadaEdward.Panis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ Tel: 604-666-1704

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back