2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit late, I know, but I actually went coho fishing off south Bowen on Thursday. I fished from the White House to Roger Curtis and did one pass further west to Popham. Trolled fast with the gear never deeper than 52’, and mostly between 35’ and 45’. Trolled bare spoons (no flasher) on one side, a white squirt on a Kitetail on the other, and an unweighted surface spoon in the middle. Had only one unclipped coho that hit the surface spoon, but was otherwise kept busy with a bunch of 18”-20” undersize springs even though I was trying to stay away from them. Not really much sign of coho.

Fished South Bowen this morning from 12-3:30 Slow at the start but then got into a double header before the slack. Undersized chinook on a Skinny G spoon at 55’ on the rigger right in the middle of the canal and a wild coho on a white hoitchie and Green Onion flasher at 65’. A lot of salad and debris in the water. Tried PA to the flats on the way back but no luck.

So we can still fish from sandheads to Howe sound “for coho” but yet we can not fish for chinook?? How does that even make sense. If your fishing for coho your going to come across a few springs. But that is illegal at the moment. ?? What?? Had a couple great days at entrance island over last couple weeks or so. Fishing spoons and hoochies. Getting into lots of chubby springs. Most being hatchery. Any fishing I do from now till September will be on that side. Will report back. Cheers.

So we can still fish from sandheads to Howe sound “for coho” but yet we can not fish for chinook?? How does that even make sense. If your fishing for coho your going to come across a few springs. But that is illegal at the moment. ?? What?? Had a couple great days at entrance island over last couple weeks or so. Fishing spoons and hoochies. Getting into lots of chubby springs. Most being hatchery. Any fishing I do from now till September will be on that side. Will report back. Cheers.

DFO needs to define the rules on this. Every boat out there will be “targeting coho” rolling anchovies on a 6ft leader with 8 chinook to the boat and 0 coho. As long as you know this and tell the CO’s you’re fishing for coho you ought to be okay.
At the same time, I’d say most of my 10 chinook retained last year were the bleeders or deeply hooked ones on bait, I’d feel terrible releasing those this year...

I also fished west van last weekend for coho with no luck.

Fishing is good all along the coast this year. I’ve been talking to folks from P Rupert, Hardy/Telegraph, Tofino and the South Island areas and they’re all into chubby chinooks already.

Don’t expect DFO to clarify the rules or change the wording of the latest notice. When the fishing notice says “ no fishing for Chinook” and the other notice for the same area allows you to kill 2 hatch cohos, you gotta thinks about this: DFO has teied hard to appease certain stakeholders by deliberately choosing the wordings in the notice. Just so they can claim that they’ve done their part in:
1- Protecting the SRKW food sources —> appease the NGOs and the Corporate sponsors of the Libs Party. Ensuring that their brands are winners of the “progressive movement”
2- Giving the lower Fraser FNs more fish —> keeps them quiet until the pipeline project gets to the point of no return Again, only some certain corporations will benefit from that pipeline. The investment justification for that pipeline was already awash when Kinder Morgan pulled out.

bottom line is, you can still get out and fish. Just can’t kill any chinooks until end if August. Post your reports here for all if us and let’s show DFO how stupid and worthless they are.

I’m gonna head out for some Tuna later this week - I’ll use flashers and squirts, maybe a spoon, and we’ll see what I get. Definitely not fishing for Chinook.

Fished south side of bowen yesterday zip for coho very slow going and the springs have been smaller though not targeted. Went over to thrasher on tuesday and a wild coho released and two keeper lings. Thinking of packing it not worth the head ache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back