Boat Casting for Coho - Rod Combo?

J-GLOBAL

Looking for recommendations on casting setup for Coho.

My son likes to cast for Coho while we're Hali-waiting. Last year he hooked a couple, and watching him play coho to the boat on a light spinning rod in and out of all of the hali rods was very entertaining.

I'm looking for recommendations on casting combos to use off the boat.

Let me know if you have some preferred setups.

Thanks

OK I will go first. Only 1 set up brand on my boat, but a couple different sizes, lengths and weights. Penn Carnage II with a Penn spinfisher, not only good for casting for coho but used all over world. My BC outfits are loaded with 20 lb tuff line XP braid. Get the rod length and weight that suites your needs best and add the proper size spinfisher. Cast a mile, super sensitive, lots of backbone where its supposed to be and light tip, handles all species in BC, while on anchor stand on bow casting a small spinnow and coho fun starts, use for light bottom jigging, or jig for springs.

Or take on a world trip, drift a balloon and livie and catch 7 ft 100+ sails, cast a plug for trevally or GT's. Spinfisher drag is awesome and each revolution of that handle puts a ton of line back on reel.

Probably why I have a few. I may also be biased.

HM

I am old school....The outfit I have for casting for pinks and coho off the boat is a 8 1/2 ft.Trophy XL graphite that I got at a garage sale for $10. I have an old Ambassadeur 5000 reel loaded with 12lb Trilene mono. Works great and owes me nothing.

I bought two new set ups for my kids this year. I went with Penn Battle II in the 2500 size. I put 12lb mono on it so they could use them around the dock too. I bought 7’ Ugly Stiks that are 6-14 class. My son and I used they a few times out at Swiftsure and landed a dozen or so Coho up to 6lbs. The rods might be a bit small for an adult but great for a 10 year old. The reel is super smooth and I think 12 lb drag so lots for Coho. My sons fishing buddy really liked them as well so his dad ordered a couple of the exact same ones....lol

Attachments

• 4B632F2C-971A-4F8E-8E20-AFC1C65D010C.jpeg
    4B632F2C-971A-4F8E-8E20-AFC1C65D010C.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 81EF7866-6558-4F81-B798-1138A68B5478.jpeg
    81EF7866-6558-4F81-B798-1138A68B5478.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 62
I use a set-up very similar to what halimark posted. Cast the jig out 50-75 feet, give it a jerk every 3-4 seconds as it falls - when the line gets vertical, reel-in while jerking & repeat.

Thanks for the input.
I'm looking around now, and there seem to be some purpose built jigging twitching rods, and some purpose built spin casting rods. More choices than I imagined. Might have to have more rodholders welded to the boat.

If you have the $$$ Shimano Trevala 7' or so are nice; although I have in the past spent money on reels versus rods. If it is a spinner you want, the info on Alan Hawks website is a must.

WOW INFORMATION OVERLOAD

Got lost on that Alan Hawks site for a couple of hours. If anyone wants to know anything about spinning reels I'm pretty sure its there.

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that site before.

Back