Getting Old!

Mako 22

Installed an electric winch on the trailer today. Either the boat is becoming heavier or I am becoming weaker!

EtYFeii.jpg

Had to make a 1 inch thick spacer to raise the winch, it was a bit too long to fit the existing stand.

XFt2XWi.jpg

YMKHMEr.jpg

Went to Costco this morning to buy a 27 Marine battery. Thought about hooking the wiring to the truck battery, but did not want to take a chance of draining the truck battery.

peDRe2y.jpg

Will plug it in and test run in the morning, then off to the boat ramp Thursday for a real test and a Halibut trip.

I’m on my second one in 12 years. I bought the new Fulton last year. Very happy with it. I wired mine direct to my SUV battery system which has 2 batteries. It works fine. You’ll find it gets a few seconds of use at a time. What a few seconds though. Makes it easier for sure and faster.

I installed a Fulton for my campion 542. Just mounted the battery on the trailer .Works great

I’m on my second one in 12 years. I bought the new Fulton last year. Very happy with it. I wired mine direct to my SUV battery system which has 2 batteries. It works fine. You’ll find it gets a few seconds of use at a time. What a few seconds though. Makes it easier for sure and faster.
Which Fulton model? Where did you pick it up?

Like a “duty cycle” or thermal switch?

Did you do anything fancy to mount it at the back or is it just secured and hanging loose? Always appreciate how others are more clever than me at electrical installs.

I ran a 6 gauge positive wire from the battery in the engine bay through the frame to the rear bumper covered with that black plastic protective material. The ground is attached to the rear frame and runs also to the rear bumper. I soldered up those two wires into the Female side of the Winch plug and bolted it to the underside of my bumper. It’s got a black rubber cap over it. I then soldered the Male side connection onto the winch wires on the trailer. Those winch Elec connections are pretty well designed and fool proof to install as long as you can solder. It’s easy to plug in and disengage where I mounted it and it has a hole in it for mounting. I did find over the winter I got a lot of road grime in the plug. Had to really clean it up with dialectic lube.

Last edited:
^^^ I've had the same setup for 20 years and when i get a new truck i switch over all the hard ware to the new rig. My buddies use a battery attached to the trailor which also works.

I'm having trouble winding up the trailer Jack just wondering what guys with heavier boats are using?

I will eventually run the wiring to the truck battery, with a plug in at the license plate area. For now the battery in the bed will do, open the canopy and grab the wiring.

Back