2020 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lines in the water Sunday. Any reports?
Fished with three other boats this past weekend. Steady out there. Just off Lippy in 90 - 100ft of water, troll deep, green flasher, white hoochie. Boated a 20lb spring on same gear, depths. Further out, 200ft mark, we trolled just offf the bottom with same gear and picked up Halis and Lings. There are fish at Cliffe, lots of bait there, lost a large spring into the weeds. Nothing at Kains at either high or low tides. Water was rough to really rough most of the time - each day we were blown off by 3ish. Guides indicating a lot of of the springs typically running through there are currently on the inside at Hardy chasing squid.

Just got back, did pretty well but you have to work for it. Lots of spring, hally and ling off lippy. Springs were in 180-195 feet of water anywhere from 110-170 on the riggers. They hit on anything, spoons, hooches, bait. A few hally and ling around Kains island too. I didn’t fish cliff but a couple boats brought in some springs from there too not nearly as many as lippy though.

Just come back yesterday after three days of fishing. We limited out our bottom fish .Fishing for springs was slow , but we managed to bring home four springs and five cohos for five guys. Going back over there in two weeks.

Just come back yesterday after three days of fishing. We limited out our bottom fish .Fishing for springs was slow , but we managed to bring home four springs and five cohos for five guys. Going back over there in two weeks.

Slightly off topic, is that your boat garage?
If so, I'm equal parts impressed and disgusted. (so big and bright, way too clean)

Back last night along with Chasin Tail after 2.5 days of decent fishing. Springs scattered about all the usual spots, Kains was slower for us but we did see nets out. Great weather sat and Sun morning managed to troll up some white meat, didn't bother jigging much. Springs were stuffed with tiny needlefish type bait. Small spoons did best overall. Freezers back to good now!

Last edited:
http://www.quatsehatchery.ca/marble-river-hatchery

If you are headed to the area and filling the coolers, don't forget to leave something behind Too many boats drop in, fill up, and leave with full monster coolers

Someone, somewhere worked there butt off to make the fish you are catching. Easy to forget with a few beers, lots of BS and a full box of fish.
Have a great trip, enjoy, but "kill one - put one back"

One month countdown today!
This is the only vacation this year, so looking forward to it.
Gong Show fish patrol will be at the 'new' cabins up the hill from the main dock, run by Dick's Last Resort.

Uh oh.
Capt Party Marty and Gong Show together at last.
Is this going to be like crossing the beams in Ghostbusters?
Will the North Island survive?
Have a thought for the poor fish...

Game on!

Second week of August for us. Should be enough time for them to clean up the apartments at the Outpost after Party Marty and crew do their thing!

Reactions: RBL
We arrived in WH June 11th, put in at coal, and shot out. Unloaded the boat and hit the water! It was a bit choppy and a 10 ft swell off shore, so we hit cliff pt for a couple hours, landed a 15lb and an 18lb.
Now we had some crab bait. Ran back down quatsino and set the trap, and called it a night.
Next am set out for cliff again, landed 6 springs by 10 am, and then ran to check the trap. Ended up with 4 over 6.5”. At this point the weather was in our favour, so headed back out and around to solander for lings! 1.5 hours and done. Biggest was at the 35 lb Mark. ( not complaining) ;)
Next morning up and out by 6am off to grants for some silvers! 3 minutes in the port rod slammed down and popped the clip! 25lb in the tote, and the morning kept going that way, the fish were there, and hungry! We landed 5 and decided to go set the hook for some flatties. 2.5 hours on the hook, landed two halies 35 to 40, one ling 35ish, and a nice octopus. Then back to do some cleaning.
Wee bit of a blow and rain the next morning, so fished cliff and netted a few between 10 and 18lbs, then back to the trap for 3 more keepers.
The Coho were 3 to 4lbs, but very plentiful if in the right place at the right time.
We hit grants and lippy in tight ( 35- 45 feet) the last day and finished our quota! Would have loved to keep going. Lol
All in all, we had an amazing trip, my 9th time to WH, and has never let me down. Can’t wait to get back for tuna in September.
AP depth charge spoons, and skinny G were the bomb.
Tight lines

We arrived in WH June 11th, put in at coal, and shot out. Unloaded the boat and hit the water! It was a bit choppy and a 10 ft swell off shore, so we hit cliff pt for a couple hours, landed a 15lb and an 18lb.
Now we had some crab bait. Ran back down quatsino and set the trap, and called it a night.
Next am set out for cliff again, landed 6 springs by 10 am, and then ran to check the trap. Ended up with 4 over 6.5”. At this point the weather was in our favour, so headed back out and around to solander for lings! 1.5 hours and done. Biggest was at the 35 lb Mark. ( not complaining) ;)
Next morning up and out by 6am off to grants for some silvers! 3 minutes in the port rod slammed down and popped the clip! 25lb in the tote, and the morning kept going that way, the fish were there, and hungry! We landed 5 and decided to go set the hook for some flatties. 2.5 hours on the hook, landed two halies 35 to 40, one ling 35ish, and a nice octopus. Then back to do some cleaning.
Wee bit of a blow and rain the next morning, so fished cliff and netted a few between 10 and 18lbs, then back to the trap for 3 more keepers.
The Coho were 3 to 4lbs, but very plentiful if in the right place at the right time.
We hit grants and lippy in tight ( 35- 45 feet) the last day and finished our quota! Would have loved to keep going. Lol
All in all, we had an amazing trip, my 9th time to WH, and has never let me down. Can’t wait to get back for tuna in September.
AP depth charge spoons, and skinny G were the bomb.
Tight lines

Great report!
Sounds like you hit the grand slam.

Headed out 14th back the 20th, Limited out on the springs, lings, but only 2 hali for us. We got blown off the pick a couple of times, and two of the three times we set up, we got skunked. Fished Grants early(first light) and did well, but it slowed very quickly. Within an hour all the boats were pulling out, but when we were there first light we would got fish every time. We picked up two springs at the cliff and the rest at Grants and outside Lippy. Coho at both places as well, but more so at the cliff. Our lings were not quite as big as After hours, but certainly a few nice ones in the bucket. We made up for it with a few huge Canaries and rockfish as well. A great trip in all. Can't wait for next year. Skinny G and the AP depth charge at about 3 mile an hour were our producers. Good luck gang.

Headed out 14th back the 20th, Limited out on the springs, lings, but only 2 hali for us. We got blown off the pick a couple of times, and two of the three times we set up, we got skunked. Fished Grants early(first light) and did well, but it slowed very quickly. Within an hour all the boats were pulling out, but when we were there first light we would got fish every time. We picked up two springs at the cliff and the rest at Grants and outside Lippy. Coho at both places as well, but more so at the cliff. Our lings were not quite as big as After hours, but certainly a few nice ones in the bucket. We made up for it with a few huge Canaries and rockfish as well. A great trip in all. Can't wait for next year. Skinny G and the AP depth charge at about 3 mile an hour were our producers. Good luck gang.

What size AP spoon are we talking about? I just bought my first AP spoon, I think it was called Anchovy and the color pattern was something with Lime - dont recall exactly. It did catch some fish @ Cliffe, but overall I found the Gold Star 3" Herring Aid to be the best producer so far this year.

4" herring depth charge. I tried a few others with greens, yellows and whites, but they did not produce. I am pretty sure they have some at the outpost. PNT were all out on our way through.

4" herring depth charge. I tried a few others with greens, yellows and whites, but they did not produce. I am pretty sure they have some at the outpost. PNT were all out on our way through.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back