Ottawa Says No Fish For You

I ran into some real nice First Nations while in port McNeil . They were sports fishing with riggers.

One night common in talked to one that has a licence to kill 3 sea lions a year and him and his son were out looking for one.

Try not to use s brod brush
Not saying they are not nice people. Just saying what the courts have ruled and not looking good for you or the fish.

There would of been a protest organized this year but it’s hard to do it with covid.
Judging by the number of protests being held here and around the world it shouldn’t stop us. I’m definitely in as I was last time.

Amen. Now let’s find a way to get this published in Bernadette Jordon’s riding.
Here’s the guts of the story:

This closure is about one thing and one thing only, and that is the systematic destruction of the public fishery, the re-allocation of those fish to FN for harvest, and catering to FN and ENGOs for votes.”

The battle was lost when Jon Wilkinson, who first introduced these draconian rules last year got re-elected and rewarded with a promotion by the drama teacher pretending to be the PM of Canada. The subsequent fisheries minister sees this as an example and double down and introduced even more stricter 2020 rules. It is a way of telling Trudeau that she can do even better. We should have concentrated our effort to defeat Wilkinson and repudiated his policies last year when we had a chance. Going forward, I propose we start a fund collection and send a message to Bernadette Jordon in no uncertain terms that we will use this fund and every efforts available to get her defeated in the next elections if she does not change . The fear of being kicked out is the only message politicians care about. Honestly, I think no one is her riding in Nova Scotia knows what the hell she is pulling out here on the west coast. Destroying coastal communities, small businesses and people’s livelihoods with her stupid rules. Spend some money and take out a couple front page ads in her riding educating the citizen so they will remember come the next election. Buying advertisements in local news papers shouldn’t costs to much in Nova Scotia. Send a clear message to this minister and any subsequent politicians that there are consequences for their actions.
Well Said !
This is what we should be doing ....GREAT SUGGESTION HERE, we need to play a bit of offense NOW ! We need to go after the Fed ministers in their own ridings and let their voters know , who elect them

Good ideas, hit politicians where it hurts, defeat them...another option, because I agree, people in her riding in Nova Scotia have no clue what she’s done to us. Soooooo, to inform them properly, take up a collection and have one of the more articulate individuals and statistically savvy individuals on this forum, write a fantastic op ed, in her local newspaper, and we pay to run the ad, FRONT PAGE, and let them know how we feel. TARGETED, that’s how we feel . A little HOWDY from the rec sector in BC. You know, the one she’s destroyed. I bet it’s not that expensive?

Good ideas, hit politicians where it hurts, defeat them...another option, because I agree, people in her riding in Nova Scotia have no clue what she’s done to us. Soooooo, to inform them properly, take up a collection and have one of the more articulate individuals and statistically savvy individuals on this forum, write a fantastic op ed, in her local newspaper, and we pay to run the ad, FRONT PAGE, and let them know how we feel. TARGETED, that’s how we feel . A little HOWDY from the rec sector in BC. You know, the one she’s destroyed. I bet it’s not that expensive?
Combine and publish an editorial with Jason Tonelli’s stats and everyday Joe Guides suffering as a result her decisions. Put a human touch to the story. Last year, the FNs got a lot of sympathy coverage when they said 25000 Chinook wasn’t enough for their elderly members. Let’s paint/expose her as the clueless and cold hearted politician that she is. I am ready to donate. Just need some financial savvy and very reputable member here to set up a go fund me page. If the money isn’t used as intended, then it can be donated to conservation efforts here on the west coast.

Seems a bit racist, no need to assume or categorize when you really dont need to nor do u probable have data supporting it. Also what do u suggest more meetings, letters, calls ??? How did that help us to date. Im not for violence nor assaults but we have to look at what other groups have done to achieve their results and act and learn from it...what we have done has accomplished NOTHING
Racist? Ha, how do you figure? After 40 years of observation fishing all over this coast , yes I still say the rec sector in BC is “mostly whitish”. Tell me I'm wrong?

Anyways, I'm not suggesting any course of action. The sad truth is the battle has been lost. Protesting this decision borders on ridiculous at this point in time. There are active protests around the world for causes that people can relate to, and as for fishing for Chinook salmon on our coast, almost no one cares. That should be clear to all who have been following the efforts of those fighting against these nonsensical DFO decisions. The general public would I'm sure be able to see DFO's handling of Chinook isn't great, if they cared about fishermen, but they don't. We are on the wrong end of indigenous rights and saving the Orcas, both of which have large well funded proponents, not to mention a strong public approval rating. There is no down side to no fishing for those who don't care about guides, lodges and the rest of the industry. More fish to save the whales right? Saving Fraser stocks right? Remember what I said the first time, facts are of little value in this arena, perception is everything. You think the public will get behind protests demanding DFO start using science so we can go fishing? Hahahahahahahaha

Racist? Ha, how do you figure? After 40 years of observation fishing all over this coast , yes I still say the rec sector in BC is “mostly whitish”. Tell me I'm wrong?

Anyways, I'm not suggesting any course of action. The sad truth is the battle has been lost. Protesting this decision borders on ridiculous at this point in time. There are active protests around the world for causes that people can relate to, and as for fishing for Chinook salmon on our coast, almost no one cares. That should be clear to all who have been following the efforts of those fighting against these nonsensical DFO decisions. The general public would I'm sure be able to see DFO's handling of Chinook isn't great, if they cared about fishermen, but they don't. We are on the wrong end of indigenous rights and saving the Orcas, both of which have large well funded proponents, not to mention a strong public approval rating. There is no down side to no fishing for those who don't care about guides, lodges and the rest of the industry. More fish to save the whales right? Saving Fraser stocks right? Remember what I said the first time, facts are of little value in this arena, perception is everything. You think the public will get behind protests demanding DFO start using science so we can go fishing? Hahahahahahahaha
I fully understand your frustrations and we are all feeling it and I couldnt agree with you further that it looks like almost a lost cause. Maybe because what we have been doing isnt and wont work. So it's time to change focus. We need to find other ways , a very good suggestion was made by Cabezon 1 above
("The fear of being kicked out is the only message politicians care about. Honestly, I think no one is her riding in Nova Scotia knows what the hell she is pulling out here on the west coast. Destroying coastal communities, small businesses and people’s livelihoods with her stupid rules. Spend some money and take out a couple front page ads in her riding educating the citizen so they will remember come the next election. Buying advertisements in local news papers shouldn’t costs to much in Nova Scotia. Send a clear message to this minister and any subsequent politicians that there are consequences for their actions. ")
. This type of brain storming may work or it may not , but at least it cant be any worse than what we achieved to date...it just doesnt work in my opinion .

Last edited:
There are ‘Rogue’ FN Band members from lower Fraser River Bands who harvest what they want, when they want, despite the DFO regulations and despite what the elected Band officials are asking their members to do for the sake of conservation. Who is in the best position to to tell those members to stop? DFO? Police? Government? Citizens? Elected Band officials? Elders? Nope.

Nobody has the authority and/or the means to tell those FN members to stop if those that choose to harvest and/or sell can stand behind Supreme Court of Canada rulings. I would love to be able to offer my advice to those lower Fraser River bands elected councils, “get your members in line” but don’t you think they would be agreeing with us?

What people should be doing is complaining to the media. Everyone should be emailing Chris Selley or Rex Murphy at the national post Or someone who might actually listen. If you don’t get coverage, you will get no change.

I would also try John Horgan as the provincial government will be left cleaning up the financial mess of this.

There is no point in emailingDFO, they are just lackeys.

So I was reading this thread tonight. I missed a couple pages in the middle. This entire thing has been a set up for a few years....
First the Orcas don't have enough food so DFO imposes restrictions. This has never had anything to do with the orcas or not enough food however, it was portrayed by the media as the reason to place chinook restrictions on the sporties. Recently I have had people tell me they are fishing Area 14 and they have never seen so many Chinook, again non retention. I believe one group is putting political pressure on the Trudope to have the resource all to themselves. I shake my head and this country is in serious crisis. I feel for the next generation.

There are ‘Rogue’ FN Band members from lower Fraser River Bands who harvest what they want, when they want, despite the DFO regulations and despite what the elected Band officials are asking their members to do for the sake of conservation. Who is in the best position to to tell those members to stop? DFO? Police? Government? Citizens? Elected Band officials? Elders? Nope.

Nobody has the authority and/or the means to tell those FN members to stop if those that choose to harvest and/or sell can stand behind Supreme Court of Canada rulings. I would love to be able to offer my advice to those lower Fraser River bands elected councils, “get your members in line” but don’t you think they would be agreeing with us?
I like the idea proposed earlier. Drone footage of the blood bath in the river. The unattended nets, etc. The few fish the rec sector takes generates the most $ per pound and and a return of dollars to this failing economy. We need Trudeau off the helm.

The phrase someone used that is very high up in fish politics was:

“we got sold down the river to please Fraser River First Nations”

That’s the liberal government tho for yah.

Stiff fines and harsher penalties for fisheries violations no matter who you are would be a good starting point. However, stiffer fines and harsher penalties would only be effective if there was enforcement. Why do you think we continue to see rec anglers catch illegal undersized crabs or take more than their quota of rockfish and ither species? The fines for commercial fisheries violations are steep and severe yet why is there year after year violations and tickets issues for commercial sector? FN fisheries? When there is vuolatuosna dn tickets is issued, every single ticket and fine is dropped prior to going to court or during court. No wonder why all this illegal **** within all sectors continues and has a much bigger impact than these dumbass non science based regs which came out.

Back