Ottawa Says No Fish For You

I realize this announcement is upsetting, but there is no need for crap like this.
With all of the protesting going on right now, this cause has the least likely chance of succeeding. A bunch of seemingly “sportsman” (white-ish) babies crying because they can’t kill fish hatchery fish the government can’t distinguish from the actually endangered ones. It doesn’t matter what the facts are, only what is perceived. This fight has little hope.
Seems a bit racist, no need to assume or categorize when you really dont need to nor do u probable have data supporting it. Also what do u suggest more meetings, letters, calls ??? How did that help us to date. Im not for violence nor assaults but we have to look at what other groups have done to achieve their results and act and learn from it...what we have done has accomplished NOTHING

Glad I still have ALL of my trout and fly gear...
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the boys at NMA for the last 2 seasons.

Thanks @Stizzla I'm a father and an Indian. I am also a recreational, commercial, Aboriginal fisherman that owns PAL, Magic Lure Products, KIKO lures, makes soft plastics and works 5 days a week in Fishing related retail. I recognize the humor in your words, however if we want change it starts with the person themselves.
I’m sorry if my comment offended you. It was more directed towards the fact the government makes decisions based on racial background. I didn’t say anything negative about indigenous people at all.

The other option is to ask for more then 5% ER other endangered stocks like cultus sockeye they allow up to 20%.

Age--
We are being screwed over nothing our little amount is nothing. The 202o restriction to recs will do nothing to help this stock .

It’s just a fing joke.
Totally agree! We are being shut down as it looks like DFO is doing something, but it is just window dressing that amounts to nothing in reality. Why? Nothing to do about rational science based conservation management - all about the politics of trying to look good to the uninformed liberal supporter and general public.

I don't see colour, I see people. I am also heavily invested and highly affected by these decisions too. Many people are. It doesn't matter what anyone says, it won't change anything, only actions will. Make the wrong choice, you get a bumpy path... choose the positive way, it's smooth sailing. I am on my way out the door to catch the tide for a nice day of catch and release with my son and his buddy. Wish me luck. Don't concern yourself, we'll keep em wet. :)

Good luck Rob

Since protests are in vogue these days how about something like this:

- a protest "catch and release" fishery every Sunday (or Saturday) at Mile Markers. Get as many boats out for a 3 hour window as possible. Let's dare DFO to ticket us. 200 boats fishing at the mile markers every Saturday in protest would be quite the sight.
- the goal here is to get in the news and work really hard in advance to get correct reporting. It could backfire if the reporters are not educated in advance.

The other thing we need to do is work to stop illegal fish sales by getting media involved and publishing the names and phone numbers of those selling out of the back of their pick up truck. The more pressure we put on these individuals and the more media attention the more poorly it reflects on DFO.

For this to be effective it would need support and the backing of SFIBC and PFA.

Just my ideas as I sit here and stew. We can no longer consider DFO an ally in our hobby and passion. Their dirty politics need to be exposed. Letter writing is great, but I think taking organized action to get the correct media coverage which puts pressure on DFO is the only hope for change.

There would of been a protest organized this year but it’s hard to do it with covid.

In my opinion, the only way this issue gets resolved is in a courtroom or through an election. A distant third option would be a major PR campaign + associated protests to try and educate the public and put pressure on the government.

However, regarding option #3, which I think is what most people on this board are leaning towards based on my review of the comments so far, in my opinion with the current government will not do anything in favor of our sector at the risk of potentially angering those they perceive as their potential voters (ENGO, first nations, downtown yuppies who are easily misled by reports of fishing closures actually being beneficial). The liberal government clearly does not give a rats butt about the coastal BC economy.

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to wait for another election to have a reasonable fishing opportunity in inside waters.

Our public / sport fishery organizations need to start raising money and planning for a legal challenge ASAP. There has to be a case to be made in this somewhere given how wildly unsound these decisions are in relation to DFO's own policies. People can complain about the cost of lawyers, or the amount of time cases take, all they like. However, guess what, this closure is costing coastal communities and small businesses millions of dollars, and you likely aren't looking at a reasonable opportunity to get back on the water for years unless or until a conservative government that is less beholden to certain voting groups (and actually cares about the economy) gets elected (and before anyone jumps on me I fully understand the conservatives have a ton of problems of their own particularly regarding their environmental record). However, the point is, we are facing no reasonable opportunity likely for years and huge community-wide financial losses anyways, so I say we hire the best constitutional / administrative law firm that our sector can afford and go to war against the government. It seems to work for all the user groups lined up against us. If the end result is that we don't get an opportunity but other sectors get closed down, you can bet your boots that the political pressure to suddenly get more salmon enhancement work done will go through the roof (to the benefit of all of us ironically).

The way I see it, there are a number of issues the feds are considering when they implement closures like these. The fed led orca conservation effort used as a reason/excuse to green light the TMP are one issue (i.e.- look people, no need to worry about the whales dying/going extinct from tanker strikes; we've increased the number of Chinook for them to eat!) which is one reason they use to support closures.
The very real issue of depleted Fraser River stocks combined with 1st Nations priority access; even though unrelenting, unsanctioned netting goes on in the lower Fraser by outlaw band members (outlaw meaning not sanctioned by their own band) leveraging legal grey areas to virtually wipe out early run springs (sockeyes too), that are meant for upper Fraser bands and recruitment. The feds don't prosecute them b/c they tend to lose all the cases b/c of the priority access issue and past discriminatory transgressions committed by the feds/province.
Plus the threat by 1st nations of full commercial-level fishing if there is ANY rec opening, salt or river, stocks be damned. Lots for the feds to consider when making decisions. With increased dilbit tanker traffic putting major downward pressure on the orca, 1st Nations priority access to declining Fraser salmon stocks, rec fishing (salt or freshwater) comes in a distant 4th at best.
I'm sorry I don't have a strategy to offer at this point, but I think these are the driving factors to consider when strategising. Oh ya; the recent focus on 'race' relations may not help rec fishing. Just my opinion folks.

The battle was lost when Jon Wilkinson, who first introduced these draconian rules last year got re-elected and rewarded with a promotion by the drama teacher pretending to be the PM of Canada. The subsequent fisheries minister sees this as an example and double down and introduced even more stricter 2020 rules. It is a way of telling Trudeau that she can do even better. We should have concentrated our effort to defeat Wilkinson and repudiated his policies last year when we had a chance. Going forward, I propose we start a fund collection and send a message to Bernadette Jordon in no uncertain terms that we will use this fund and every efforts available to get her defeated in the next elections if she does not change . The fear of being kicked out is the only message politicians care about. Honestly, I think no one is her riding in Nova Scotia knows what the hell she is pulling out here on the west coast. Destroying coastal communities, small businesses and people’s livelihoods with her stupid rules. Spend some money and take out a couple front page ads in her riding educating the citizen so they will remember come the next election. Buying advertisements in local news papers shouldn’t costs to much in Nova Scotia. Send a clear message to this minister and any subsequent politicians that there are consequences for their actions.

The Canadian Courts have ruled the natives have every right to fish and hunt anywhere, anytime, anyplace and all natives have the legal right to sell there catch. Unless that court decision can be changed this whole discussion is going nowhere, in actual fact it is only going to get way worse. I live on the Alberni Inlet so see 1st hand what is happening. Prawns are now the target. Natives are allowed to prawn year round with no limits or quota and in fact can legally keep spawning females. This whole native thing is insanity.

I ran into some real nice First Nations while in port McNeil . They were sports fishing with riggers.

One night common in talked to one that has a licence to kill 3 sea lions a year and him and his son were out looking for one.

Try not to use s brod brush

Back