Ottawa Says No Fish For You

Well that does not line up with the areas as how they are referenced. 29-3 to 29-5 are 1 slot limit as of Aug 1, that map does not state closures it states measures.

I read as -

draw a line from gower point to shah point on Valdez. South of that - don’t target chinook until sept 1. North of that - area 29 portion c&r til Aug 1 then slot. Area 17 slot starts July 15.
nothing says no salmon (coho) fishing,

means burning some gas to retain a chinook this summer. - keep the gps track on for proof I guess.

please correct if I’m wrong

Edit: see fishin solo’s map. Clarifies what I’m saying.

Last edited:

This seems bizarre to me. Why bother with the new line from Gower Point to Shah Point?! They're dividing fishing areas in to even smaller pieces than the existing area classifications!!!? So you've got a slot limit in Area 29.3 except in the part that you don't!!!!!??

It has nothing to do with the orcas or the land slide or any of that guys. It's just excuses that allow the first nations to make the fishery all to themselves.

The first nations do not want a sport fishery. They want the whole thing. Why do you think they are the only ones allowed in the RCAs? Says right in the regs.

Either we sit back and do nothing and watch them take away our rights, or we do something. Its up to the tax payer. We ultimately run the country. We just allow what we allow. Canadians nominally just allow the government to do whatever they want and ***** about it while its happening. Stand up people or next year will be worse. Then slowly there will be no fishery whatsoever ever. It will progress into nothingness for the sport fishery.

The death of a thousand cuts! My area got it last year as well as the annual August 1 closure for Saanich Inlet and it’s approaches and a Whale Sanctuary at Pender Bluffs! Not much more they can do to us! I predicted it would spread and I suggest we’re seeing the first signs. Once they shut down one area, you can bet the plans to work on any adjoining ones. Divide and conquer until there’s no fishers left.

That tells me I can still fish any where in Howe Sound but only for coho.
That’s how I read it too. According to the current regs in the Fishing BC app, you can still keep 2 hatch Cohos in area 28.

Attachments

• 98C2F139-FF14-47CA-86B0-5CC03BB0E07B.jpeg
    98C2F139-FF14-47CA-86B0-5CC03BB0E07B.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
From Watershed Watch Facebook page:

DFO’s management measures announced today for Fraser Chinook once again fail to protect these endangered salmon runs. Last year (2019), the Minister set a conservation objective to limit total mortalities of Fraser Chinook to 5%. The actually mortalities were more than double this amount. This does not take in the additional impacts of the Big Bar slide. The new measures announced today are not substantially different from last year’s failed measures, even though the stocks are still at-risk, Canada is still not meeting its treaty obligations to the US, and the Big Bar slide is still a major concern. If we want to save these fish, we need to stop killing them. Of the 13 Fraser Chinook populations assessed by federal scientists, 12 are classified as ‘endangered’ or ‘threatened’. Further, Harrison Chinook, which return to the lower Fraser, have not met their target under the Canada-US Pacific Salmon Treaty in 7 of the last 8 years. DFO is not doing the monitoring necessary to understand where exactly these endangered fish are being caught in marine recreational fisheries (which catch most of these fish), and catch and compliance monitoring is sorely lacking in both the recreational and Indigenous fisheries. DFO is also failing to apply its own science in estimating the impact of catch-and-release fishing on the survival of Fraser chinook. DFO says they intend to invest in rebuilding, but they do not have rebuilding targets and plans in place as required by law. In other words, Minister Jordan and DFO decided today to ‘sit on their hands’ and watch the continued decline of Fraser salmon. Make no mistake: this is not a trade-off between conservation and the economy. In 2019, with these same measures in place, the recreational fishery caught almost 400,000 Chinook. The additional conservation reductions that Watershed Watch and our allies originally suggested may have reduced this number by maybe 15%, while ensuring the conservation targets were met for endangered Fraser chinook salmon.

400,000 Chinook for Canada or Canada/US? I have a hard time seeing 400K Chinook for Canada rec fish in 2019

Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice shame on me... Sad to say No one to blame but ourselves. . How many time do we listen to those who are representing the rec fishing sector until we realize the strategy of playing nice and playing by the rules jsut don't frekin work???? How many times? We are the dumb and stupid fools... Why would this year be different than previous years? DFO are like used car salesmen who sell lemon cars... Tell you what you want to hear, give you hope, say all the right things and then next thing you know your pants are down to your ankles and you just got shafted.

Letters dont frekin work... Writing a huge proposal and trying to use logic, common sense and data in our proposal to DFO doesn't work... All we do is sit and wait and hope for the best.. Then when the ****** news comes out, we get pissed but don't do anything about it. Next year same **** will happen. How is it that deep down inside everyone would have been content if they kept the regulations the same as last year when those weren't even acceptable? With the crappy new regs this year, does that mean next year we will hope they keep them the same as this year? It a damn game of chicken and we Always flinch first. They know we won't make a stink about it. Why do you think FN can do as they please on the rivers and oceans? Because there will be a **** storm by every FN group in the province if a confrontation happens.. And DFO knows it.

No more playing nice. No more freaking proposals.. We need to make a stance and draw a line in the sand. Otherwise this **** will happen year after year.
Tell us what you’re going to do then.

400,000 Chinook for Canada or Canada/US? I have a hard time seeing 400K Chinook for Canada rec fish in 2019

No F**king way the sport fishery caught 400,000 fraser chinook last year.

Even if you did simple math like this..

Lets say there was 200 boats daily fishing area 29..

Lets say each boat fished every day and got 4 fish per day

200 x 4 = 800 fish caught daily

add the whole month of august

800 x 30 = 24000

Even if you added say add 20 percent to that that would only be 28,800

400,000? Not a f***king chance in the world

And Butcher is right, if people don't make a stand, there will be no more fishery period. FN wants it to them selves. Thats the truth.

Back