Video Recording-Fraser River Native Fishery 2020

Chasin' Dreams

There's been a lot of us upset and venting about the new Spring Salmon regs and the continued disappointing mismanagement of our resources by DFO and their obviously biased coalition they have formed with the Natives in BC.

I for one am fed up with the discrimination the government, DFO, and the Natives are showing to the rest of us who are all part of sharing and protecting this resource.

It is my believe that the government and DFO have put such heavy restrictions on the commercial fishermen and the sportsfishermen so that they can let the Fraser River get overloaded with Springs so that the Natives can completely annihilate them to decimated numbers. I believe this is completely arbitrary and discriminatory to all the other sectors that have interests in these fish.

It is also my belief that DFO has been purposely meeting with other interested parties of this resource to gather information, statistics, etc to use that info to take it to the Natives (who have been lobbying them hard) to use that info to go ahead with these regulations that are ONLY targeted to negatively affect the commercial and sportfishermen of our Province; while the Natives continue to see all of the benefits from them.
This has been the reason I have stayed away from any meetings, info gathering/sharing etc by sportfishing and commercial fishing organizations whom I know have been sharing all of that info with DFO. Yes I know and understand these organizations have good intentions and have hoped that the work they have been doing would help us in the end but it has not been the believe of mine which sadly comes from my negative opinion and outlook about DFO and the government that was driven into me by my own very negative experiences when trying to help politically, personally, and financially in past years.

So enough is enough and I hope that we can try to shed some light what is going to go on on the Fraser River this Summer with regards to the Natives and our Spring Salmon and DFO's mismanagement.

I am volunteering to use my drone and whatever resources I can muster from friends, family etc to get some video footage of the blood bath on the Fraser River this Summer. I do have some friends with jet boats that I will go to to ask for help volunteering and I have a friend with a small media business, but I am posting this hear to also ask for help from other concerned folks who want to do something about this.

We will need people that are good with video editing, people that are level headed and mature enough to stay away from conflict with the parties involved. This HAS TO BE done in a way that our goals are met to gather information and video footage to show the rest of the world what is really going on here. We will need people that may have contacts with the major media outlets and ways of getting this information onto social media in ways that it is monitored by us so that it is not lead down a darker path where everything will be removed. Yes we are all very upset but we have to do this the right way so that it is the resource that we are working for, not our egos. We will also need people who may have some inside information with regards to when and where the Natives will be fishing etc. I do have some of that info but as much as possible the better.

I will be away for a few days on a fishing trip but I will have email/wifi so feel free to send me messages with your contact information. We can then communicate through emails, phone calls etc.

Please refrain from any racist comments or sharing thoughts of physical harm, vandalism etc. We are going to keep this professional and organized.

Please share your thoughts, ideas etc on this thread but if something is better kept to a personal information level then message me and we can communicate by email/phone calls.

I agree ;

refrain from any racist comments or sharing thoughtsof physical harm, vandalism etc. We are going to keep this professional and organized.

Like I noted in another thread , I've got drones and am lisc to fly them, count on me for footage it need be. Let me know if I can help

This video documentation and exposure through social media and news agencies is really the only hope of gaining any traction. Joe Public needs to be educated of the slaughter that takes place for ceremonial purposes or for so called food fisheries.

I’m still sickened and angered by the video that was posted a while back of the slaughter on the Cap where fish were herded into shallow pools then stomped to death by the locals. Absolute disgusting behaviour.

I live in Chilliwack and have witness some ugliness on the river. One fall I walked a trail into a cutty spot to find a couple of tote bags full of dead male chum salmon. These fish were completely abandoned and left to waste away. Where these tote bags were it would have been impossible to get a truck to the location to recover or remove. I’m not sure what the logic was????

The Chum roe fishery is another example of a senseless abuse of our resource.

We cannot sit back and be roled over by our own government. Trust me at he end if we don't do nothig, they will laught at us as we will look like bunch of sheeps.
We all have been spending so much money and time in our boats, fishing gears and maintenace. In my openioin spending money and time for this cause should be part of our total expensure. I'm ready to spend time and money and any conections that I bulit in the community for the last 30 years towards this.

I can donate my time and resources. I think that these events need to be well coordinated. We need to have enough people out with whoever is filming to ensure the person who is filming can be safe. I can imagine a group of FN would not react kindly to being videotaped. You have to question if they truly believe what they are doing is justified, correct legally and morally justified, why would they be upset at people filming them. But they know it wrong and they know they are abusing the system so they don't want the media to see the bloodbath. Exact same situation that happens in Japan when they round up and block off an entire bay and slowly close in on the nets to trap dolphins. They then slaughter them. The entire bay is red and stays that way for hours after the massacre. Anyone caught filming is assaulted and their gear smashed to bits.

To be honest, DFO is really the root cause of this. FN are only doing this because they can get away with it and are not challenged by those who are responsible for enforcing the laws. Only when DFO looks like a bunch of morons and useless idiots with egg on their face perhaps they may start doing their jobs for once.

There has to be a way to show the amount of money is made on the black market sales to restaurants, food distribution and sales companies. It honestly need a mole or an undercover journalist. Or someone with purchasing power to set up a documented/videoed sting. The general public not only had to be shown
The slaughter, but has to be shown that “ceremony” has absolutely nothing to do with why it’s happening. It’s GREED. It’s all about the Benjamin’s.

There has to be a way to show the amount of money is made on the black market sales to restaurants, food distribution and sales companies. It honestly need a mole or an undercover journalist. Or someone with purchasing power to set up a documented/videoed sting. The general public not only had to be shown
The slaughter, but has to be shown that “ceremony” has absolutely nothing to do with why it’s happening. It’s GREED. It’s all about the Benjamin’s.

DFO knows that kind of **** is happening but these choose to turn a blind eye. For them to do anything they would be shaking the hornets nest. I wish we had the sort of impact on DFO as FN does.

The only ceremonial aspect of the Chinook fishery that I see is the "kaching" dance which is the dance amd sound of money $$$$$ as hoards of crabs, seafood and other resources are sold on the black and gray market. FN are entitled to what they are entitled to.... But they are not entitled to rape and pillage all of our natural resources. I have no problems with shutting everything down for everyone if we have as big of a problem as they say we have.... I'd have more respect for FN if they all abide by the laws. They want to use the constitution and legal rights to fight for what they believe is owed to them yet the same laws and legal system that grants them these rights they abuse and make a mockery off by raping and pillaging our resources and selling whatever they can get their hands on for their own benefit. A small percent of what is taken is taken for consumption and ceremonial purposes. I am a minority and was never given any handouts and special treatment. Perhaps that's why I am able to take care of myself and my family as I had to work my butt off, get a university degree and work for what I have like the rest of the population. It is very clear to me that DFO and FN are sleeping in the same bed. All of this madness has to stop. So fricken mad and pissed off.

While the new measures are complete ********, I am only seeing a small group of people voice their anger and disgust on this board and other online forums. Unfortunately this sort of complacency and "lack of a response" from the majority of anglers in BC and on this forum is representative of our group in general. Not enough of us pissed off enough to take a stand against this BS and so it goes no where.

Last edited:
Great info and comments guys. Great to see a lot of us very concerned about this. I replied to the PM's you guys have sent and look forward to meeting/working with you guys. We are starting out already to have a diverse group of people here that bring different helpful things to the table. I'm also hoping that I should be able to get some of my old contacts involved as well as some of my commercial fishermen friends/family as well. There are a lot of people, groups, organizations, that are just as pissed off about this as we are so lets hope they want to be involved in some way as well.

I believe that the Government, including DFO and RCMP, are 'concerned' about pushing the First Nations poachers too hard is that they don't want another Oka or Wet'Suwet'en incident on their hands. With both branches of the Trans Canada Highway, and both national railroads going through the same relatively narrow valley at the end of the Lower Mainland its way too easy to shut the Vancouver area down.

In. Happy to help with financial resources. Agree with previous comments that this needs to be kept professional and above board at every turn to maintain the legitimacy of the claims. PM me with details when appropriate.

Back