Ottawa Says No Fish For You

For Vancouver

o Apr. 1 to Jul. 31, Chinook non-retention

o NEW: Aug. 1 to August 31, 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm

o Sept. 1 to Dec. 31, 2 Chinook per day

o NEW: No fishing for salmon/Chinook from April 1 to Aug 31 in the following areas: Subareas 28-1, that portion of Subarea 28-2 that lies southerly of a line drawn due east from Halkett Point to Lions Bay on the mainland and Subareas 28-7 to 28-9. Those portions of Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 that lie south of a line from the southern tip of Valdes Island then extending to Gibsons.
Terminal Chinook opportunities will be considered near major hatcheries
January 1 – March 31: 2 Chinook per day
Where did u read no salmon fishing/Chinook??? I looked at it 10 times and only see
Immediately to 23:59 hours August 31: No fishing for Chinook.
Nowhere did it state all salmon fishing . Please correct me if I am wrong as there is a huge difference

To the best of my recollection no boats were seized and no one ended up in jail for the commercial boats blocking the harbour in the early 90s. This needs to be a summer of protest and education that non of this is science based.

Im in, not only that I'll have my meti/indian buddies who are just as sickened by these regs on the boat with me

Have any of u been asked to report monthly to the DFO your catches ? From me the report this month ends going to be a zinger ......in the comments section, had enough of this BS about letters to here and there ! They really dont give a **** and we all need to look at what they do respect and respond to by other groups and adjust accordingly

Screenshot_20200619-203359_Chrome.jpg
Where did u read no salmon fishing/Chinook??? I looked at it 10 times and only see
Nowhere did it state all salmon fishing . Please correct me if I am wrong as there is a huge difference
Everywhere in the notice it states no retention. But specifically in the hatched areas it says "no fishing for chinook".
I literally circled it and posted the picture. It really couldn't be easier. It's literally spelled out. Plain as day. Super simple. But we also don't know if that was just some idiot writing that in right before they posted it and didn't realize what he wrote.

Edit. Different thread. Here it is.

Did u read what you quoted ,

the attitude of giving into a little will end up nothing

Why would there be a slot limit on a clipped hatchery fish? Makes no sense.

I am not sure of the reasoning especially since there is a slot. Guys are going to be out there anyways releasing fish for the slot. Allowing a bigger hatchery fish might get them off the water sooner and actually reduce the CR pressure.

I’m sure dfo would fill you full of a bunch of BS probably to do with catch effort and reporting and stuff to do with MSF and PST. It would all be bs tho because they could make it happen.

I copied that for a different document I see. Posted on Facebook

Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice shame on me... Sad to say No one to blame but ourselves. . How many time do we listen to those who are representing the rec fishing sector until we realize the strategy of playing nice and playing by the rules jsut don't frekin work???? How many times? We are the dumb and stupid fools... Why would this year be different than previous years? DFO are like used car salesmen who sell lemon cars... Tell you what you want to hear, give you hope, say all the right things and then next thing you know your pants are down to your ankles and you just got shafted.

Letters dont frekin work... Writing a huge proposal and trying to use logic, common sense and data in our proposal to DFO doesn't work... All we do is sit and wait and hope for the best.. Then when the ****** news comes out, we get pissed but don't do anything about it. Next year same **** will happen. How is it that deep down inside everyone would have been content if they kept the regulations the same as last year when those weren't even acceptable? With the crappy new regs this year, does that mean next year we will hope they keep them the same as this year? It a damn game of chicken and we Always flinch first. They know we won't make a stink about it. Why do you think FN can do as they please on the rivers and oceans? Because there will be a **** storm by every FN group in the province if a confrontation happens.. And DFO knows it.

No more playing nice. No more freaking proposals.. We need to make a stance and draw a line in the sand. Otherwise this **** will happen year after year.
People DO stuff.....we aren't sitting on our hands here. We had a rally here in victoria that was very well attended and was on the radio and TV last year. https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...r-plans-for-the-15th.75748/page-5#post-938434 victoria had a big rally that resulted in our halibut TAC being increased years ago in victoria. Guys involved are doing everything they can including some cool LM stuff last year....don't think guys aren't trying...we just aren't being heard. I personally don't know about you but I certainly don't blame myself.

That idea of buying a sailboat is looking better all the time, wrote a letter last week to Rebecca Reid, one of many, about nets in the river and just got the typical canned response. No explanation whatsoever, as usual. Had a sarcastic chuckle the other day as the creel surveyor kids were at the ramp and the young lady was trying to tell me their was no rentention of Chinook because of Covid, that was hard to stomach as I tried telling them they were being misinformed.

So in my area 29 3-5 , I can still fish for hatch coho and chum, yes ? Let's say I'm fishing and I get into a chinook, and then a DFO officer races over to see what I got and if it's a chinook, after fighting it for 20 min , I release it ( now technically CR and technically not ahereing to the "NO FISHING FOR CHINOOK": ) can I be ticketed for targeting that Chinook or WTF ?
Why use the new language (NO FISHING FOR CHINOOK) and not leave it as NON RETENTION ??? The Chinook are going to be caught anyway . I don't understand the reason for the language change , please explain

Ugh, brutal. I just scrolled through this thread to catch up.

So, down here in the Vancouver area we can't target chinook until Sept...but can we still go fishing and target coho? That's the way I read it. And if you happen to hook a chinook you have to release it prior to Sept 1. Hmmm

Just on my way back from fishing on the Island.

I don’t know why people are misinterpreting this, it’s in yesterdays notice and the verbiage is very clear.

For the usual haunts have a look at below. It sucks but it is not sit and wait til Sept unless someone can explain another interpretation of the following and yesterday’s fishery notice.

,959BC5EA-6DA1-4A24-AD55-9CFEC107D7DC.png

Just on my way back from fishing on the Island.

I don’t know why people are misinterpreting this, it’s in yesterdays notice and the verbiage is very clear.

For the usual haunts have a look at below. It sucks but it is not sit and wait til Sept unless someone can explain another interpretation of the following and yesterday’s fishery notice.

,View attachment 53972
It's the section right under what you highlighted. I missed it on the first read. The corresponding map shows the pink hatched area that is closed until sept 1. All of Vancouver.

It's the section right under what you highlighted. I missed it on the first read. The corresponding map shows the pink hatched area that is closed until sept 1. All of Vancouver.

Well that does not line up with the areas as how they are referenced. 29-3 to 29-5 are 1 slot limit as of Aug 1, that map does not state closures it states measures.

Back