North Arm Fillet Knife Review

Chasin' Dreams

Fathers Day came a bit early. (To myself :D)

I bought a few Bubba knives a couple years ago in different lengths and they are okay but they get dull very fast, need constant sharpening and rust up very easily. I'll be using the Bubba's for extras from now on and for dealing with Tuna since the skin on them is pretty rough on knives.

So I thought it was time to upgrade and I remembered a couple guys here on the forum recommending the locally BC made North Arm knives on a previous thread and thought I would give them a go.

First impression is they are very nice. Great look and feel to them. They have a line pattern on the blade from the CNC'ing that looks great, the handle is very comfortable and not slippery and the blade is very sharp and kept a very good edge on it after cutting up a few Lings, Rock Fish and Herring the other day.

The steel is CPM S35VN which is reported to be one of the best choices for making knife blades with. I've got some hand made Japanese knives that I love for cooking with but are a higher carbon type steel. These North Arm knives are a different steel completely but so far seem very nice and strong and sharp. They are also pretty flexible for bending to keep tight against ribs to get all of the meet off of the fish with nicely.

The price is pretty decent too for a good quality knife that should last a long time.

Time will tell how they hold up to the salt water life and fish bone cutting but so far my first impressions are very good.

20200615_170452.jpg

20200615_170606.jpg

20200615_170749.jpg

20200619_071510.jpg

20200618_220254.jpg

There the best knives I’ve found for fish period....if you take care of them they will take care of you. Personally I don’t use them out on the boat, I use them at home when it’s time to filet , process , pack and seal. I use my bubbas out on the boat or at the marina.... Mike and his dad are great to deal with as well. I have bought prob a dozen other knives over the last couple years from them and they are all still perfect.

What size are you using?

The larger one:

AZ3IgeP.jpg

There the best knives I’ve found for fish period....if you take care of them they will take care of you. Personally I don’t use them out on the boat, I use them at home when it’s time to filet , process , pack and seal. I use my bubbas out on the boat or at the marina.... Mike and his dad are great to deal with as well. I have bought prob a dozen other knives over the last couple years from them and they are all still perfect.
Pretty sure it was your post a couple years ago that got me interested in these knives. I'm also going to still use my Bubba's for more of the rough work so the nicer North Arm knives keep their edges longer. The Bubba's are actually decent just need to be sharpened an awful lot and they rust up fast due to more carbon in the steel. Ya It was Mike that I was emailing back and forth with and he gave me the knives when I went to pick up. He told me to make sure I was happy with them before I drove off. Nice guy and great customer service.

Back