Dry ice

staying alive

Anybody know of a place to buy dry ice in the lower mainland, and has anybody got an opinion on using it
( what am I crazy , of course people on here have opinions , it’s the silent majority)

Praxair Canada at 2080 Clark Drive.
We use it to preserve our bait for our annual Nootka trip. Usually buy about a $50 block. I have them slice in half and wrap it then I line my cooler sides with further insulation and then cover the ice up with newspaper or whatever.
Works extremely well and keeps your bait perfect. We in the past have 4 boats and all use a fair amount of bait which ain't cheap. After 6 days prior our bait was toast so it works for us.

Praxair Canada at 2080 Clark Drive.
We use it to preserve our bait for our annual Nootka trip. Usually buy about a $50 block. I have them slice in half and wrap it then I line my cooler sides with further insulation and then cover the ice up with newspaper or whatever.
Works extremely well and keeps your bait perfect. We in the past have 4 boats and all use a fair amount of bait which ain't cheap. After 6 days prior our bait was toast so it works for us.
Exactly;y what Drink says. If I remember correctly, keep in mind the cold from dry ice rises unlike freezer blocks where cold air sinks. Bottom of your cooler and insulate well with cardboard and newspaper. Did camping trips for seven days back in the day with the old coleman and came home with everything still cold.

There's a Prax Air in Nanaimo just off Northfield drive that has dry ice as well

I used it for sashimi during sockeye season. Cleaned the fish and threw them right on top of the block in the cooler that was covered with towels. I also usually pick up a block on long trips as well to keep the ice...ice.

Also I thought it was the other way around. Doesn't the dry ice get colder below it? So if you want to nuke something down to -37 you throw it under the block but if you want to just keep something cold you put it over the block to avoid burning it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Back