fishing expenses and when are you considered a guide

morganic

so I'm putting this out there cuz I value a lot of your opinions so I thought I'd get some.
I know guides have a lot of time, investment and knowledge they put into there craft and why they get there people on fish. I had planned to take my Marine courses in May in Richmond but everything was cancelled with the covid. not with any plans to be a guide (not a good enough fisherman) but for my own knowledge and safety. my question is in regards to taking friends.
I was fortunate enough to get a chance to join a family in a place in Bamfield. with covid for the moment I have the option of not working so plan to be out there every minute I can. with this I have numerous friends that want to come out hang out and do a little fishing. guys from work and ball and such. I already have some of the expenses of guides in boat tackle gear and also have cabin expenses taxes and what not. and I have provided food in the past for a couple of buds. I'd also be doing the work of a guide in running boat down riggers traps etc.
at what point can you ask for some contribution to everything and to what extent. just curious to your guys thoughts.
thanks mo

so I'm putting this out there cuz I value a lot of your opinions so I thought I'd get some.
I know guides have a lot of time, investment and knowledge they put into there craft and why they get there people on fish. I had planned to take my Marine courses in May in Richmond but everything was cancelled with the covid. not with any plans to be a guide (not a good enough fisherman) but for my own knowledge and safety. my question is in regards to taking friends.
I was fortunate enough to get a chance to join a family in a place in Bamfield. with covid for the moment I have the option of not working so plan to be out there every minute I can. with this I have numerous friends that want to come out hang out and do a little fishing. guys from work and ball and such. I already have some of the expenses of guides in boat tackle gear and also have cabin expenses taxes and what not. and I have provided food in the past for a couple of buds. I'd also be doing the work of a guide in running boat down riggers traps etc.
at what point can you ask for some contribution to everything and to what extent. just curious to your guys thoughts.
thanks mo
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/guest-etiquette-and-gifts-to-host.79409/

I think part of it is how far you are casting your net on “friends” and such.

if it’s a few buds and you enjoy the time together, they should of course be paying their fair share of fuel, gear, food, etc.

If you are thinking of soliciting and going a bit further to include those non-traditional friends, it sounds like you may be scratching for a bit more of a request from them?

the way I see it - if a true friend asked me to head to his cabin for a few days, I’d happily pay my share of regular costs and even kick in extra food and beer, etc. If the owner asked me to chip in a $50/night charge for the cabin, moorage, other nickel and diming- id be a bit unsure of it all and would feel it’s less about being friends and more about being a contributor to a side business or the bottom line.

Only my opinion...

Cheers!

Sounds a lot like a guide business..... if there is no revenue then get after it .... bamfield is a small town if there is something shady going on I’d imagine it’ll get reported real quick if not have a good summer

Here is my two bits:
Taking guys fishing costs money !
Gas, tackle, wear and tear, gotta share the catch, clean up, etc.
If someone throws me $10 for gas or forgets their wallet .....they wont be riding again any time soon.

I grew up in Ucluelet very close to Bamfeild and much bigger. But even with 1800 people my mom knew the night I had before I even found out from my friends the next day.. Small towns are tight nit. Not everyone is friends with everyone but they will talk and news spreads fast. If you are doing this regularly with different people every time. People will find out and your summer will not be a very good one... possibly more summers beyond that...

By law you can not ask for money from the people you take out to cover expenses as a recreational boater. Now of course it happens and there is loop holes to that law that people do all the time. But if your buying all this stuff and your taking your regular every day friends out fishing and they are not doing something to compensate for the costs. That’s a pretty good invitation to never come again.. Fishing is not free or the costs behind it. It can be a very expensive hobby but very enjoyable..

Bottom line of your taking your every day friends out explain the costs of everything before they go and ask what they can do to help with the costs. If they are not willing or don’t give an equal amount of competition don’t bring them again. Now if your planning on taking other people out regularly get your stuff in order and do it right. But be careful stepping on people’s turf as guiding can be a little cutthroat some times.

What ever it may be have a good summer and hopefully I’ll see you on the water!

At a certain point you need to start worrying about liability. Be careful how your friends view kicking in money, make sure they are aware they are sharing expenses and not hiring you. As such you shouldn’t be charging for your time or portraying yourself as a Guide.

i take friends and work/sports buds all the time from my place in Bam... here is my deal..

it should cost me nothing.
they bring the food, they cook and they clean. i help somewhat.
i supply the boat and gear. they pay fuel .. i dont lose much gear as a habit, but if someone is "at fault" they are on the hook. drop a rod, speed drop a ball etc..
i make zero dollars and have a great time.

if i work as a "guide" in bam i make sure i am not undercutting anyone. charge accordingly! set guests up in the local lodges.
the lodges and locals know who i am over the years and as long as you are polite, spend your money there, refer lodges for accommodation etc.. you will be very welcomed.

Last edited:
thanks Blair. that was my thinking and the system we use with my regular partners. it's just a matter of making that clear before any trip. I have much respect for all of Bamfield and have stayed at and recommended lodges and guides for years. certainly not looking to ruffle feathers or make money just cover expenses. Capt. Mo

If you are taking friends and you are all splitting costs then you are golden. I do a few guys trips every year and costs are split between all guys on the boat(including me). If guys dont want to contribute to expenses then they dont come on the boat. The way I see it, as long as your not making a profit from it then you are not a guide. You are just a guy with a boat who takes buddies fishing. No sweat.

I think this is a stupid question. You know what you're doing. If these are people that you know and hang out with on a regular basis and they're splitting the costs then why would you have to even think about it? If you're soliciting people to "take you up on your offer" then you're guiding. The claim that profit means you're crossing the line isn't necessarily true either. I'm sure lots of guides lose money on trips in the slower months once you factor in ALL costs.

Also realize your insurance is void if you take money for your services. You are fine to ask to share expenses. But beyond that you are considered a commercial operation and require different insurance.

Profit equals guiding if you ask for money for fuel, tackle, bait, insurance, wear and tear that is fine you just cant be paid for your time or experience. I know guys that expect people who join them to pay for all vehicle gas and boat gas and bait for the trip. I operate a bit different cause well my "friends" are my actual friends we split expenses for the trip and any lost or broke tackle gets split and maybe a oil change gets split up in there as well.

Back