2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out fishing the flats in Oak Bay yesterday on a chilly and breezy morning with 2xeagle16 but we were both able to hook some springs. I was using an Andrew P sandlance spoon on my side and he was using a glow coho killer. All caught and released in the water. We got our limit in crab as well.

Attachments

• 101654589_343752356594881_2484746212616437760_n.jpg
    101654589_343752356594881_2484746212616437760_n.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 101198772_1521655434675367_7550002595935289344_n.jpg
    101198772_1521655434675367_7550002595935289344_n.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 205
No excitement for me today. Flat calm and fog for starters but that moved off. Seems to be a lot of fish on my sounder from near surface down to about 60 ft. About a km out from the chain islets. A few jumpers. Couldn't catch one. Are these coho or sockeye?

Was out fishing for the first time this year. Only on the water for 2 hours. Got 3 legal dungies and a big red rock as well as smalls on a 1 hour soak. Kept a 70 cm lingcod too. Tried for sole using squid strips but the dang fish kept stealing the bait.
Also picked up a lost (stolen?) crab trap in 32 feet of water off the totem pole. It had lots of line and an unusual flotation. No bait in the bait container. Looked like a new set up. If anyone can send me the details of the flotation, trap and line I'd me more than happy to return it. I don't need another trap.

Last edited:
Sounds like a successful outing. That linger will be tasty My go to sole bait is Berkeley gulp grub yellow on drop shot set up. Sometimes tip it with worm but think I catch just as many without any worm.

Was out fishing for the first time this year. Only on the water for 2 hours. Got 3 legal dungies and a big red rock as well as smalls on a 1 hour soak. Kept a 70 cm lingcod too. Tried for sole using squid strips but the dang fish kept stealing the bait.
Also picked up a lost (stolen?) crab trap in 32 feet of water off the totem pole. It had lots of line and an unusual flotation. No bait in the bait container. Looked like a new set up. If anyone can send me the details of the flotation, trap and line I'd me more than happy to return it. I don't need another trap.
PM sent

Managed to get out on the water yesterday at 10, after a friend reported a couple Hali being caught I scrounged up a partner who had what I thought had a strong stomach. We dropped a ton of traps and fished on the hook til around 4. The wind wasn't as bad as two weeks ago, no real gusts above 20 and we managed to keep a front rod bouncing and my buddy didn't ralph although he asked for gravol. Son napped for something like 3 hours, and nope a 3 year olds bladder does not last that long when the boat is a rocking. I'm not sure if I would trade the next Hali that we are due for potty training but I'm close. Dogs and Rat fish used to be the precursor to catching a Hali but not this time. Salmon, and medium to low grade hearing at boarder bank were not the solution they used to be. Came in at 7kn due to the chop and saved gas while the traps filled up. One of my fishing buddies had recently figured out a much better mounting spot for our trap puller so although the ace puller strained in the rolling waves we didn't blow a fuse or have the rails flexing so much like they used to. We found 100 feet was the sweet spot for crabbing. Wish I wasn't broke as a covid business owner, with a wife on matt leave and had money for a charter in Ukee next week, we are camping in Tofino from the 19th-24th if anyone wants to bring a boat up I would love to go for halibut and my son and I have stronger stomachs then most!

My buddy lost a trap or two last weekend, I'll ask him about the floatation and if he marked his name. Even with low current of this weekend we are using commercial traps with rebar and zincs or lots of weight in our recreational one. A friend stopped by last weekend to go pawning and I rigged up a 10lb cannon ball for his traps.

My son and I went on adventure yesterday with a bunch of firsts.
Launched from cattle point for first time. Launching was easy. Pulling out not so easy in the wind.
We set 3 crab traps off willows beach then ran to east Constance for Hali to a spot I used to have success but haven’t fished in over 5 years. We caught what felt like 100 dog fish. After a pack of herring we switched both lines to grubs and octopus and still could not keep lines down for 5 min. Caught 2 on 1 line. We gave up about 11:00 and moved in to jig oak bay flats where I had never been and son had never jigged for salmon. Within 5 min we caught and released nice spring about 8lb. Another 10 min and released another that was 12-15lb. Fished another half hour and headed in as wind was picking up. We pulled crab traps and only got a bunch of rock crabs which was a bit disappointing as I had heard crabbing was really good right now. I guess we were not in right area.

It was the great adventure we were looking for. New area with some wins and losses. Learned a lot and got great video of the kid with first spring on jigging rod. He loved the peeling line on the spinning reel.
Days like that are what memories are made from.

took my son and his friend out yesterday. Dropped a couple crab traps then headed to the mud flats. Dropped anchor in 300ft at 8ish. by 11 we were back at the dock with a nice 32# hali. Weather was decent and we all had a great time. Like Tips said, memories were made.

The hali hit, buried the rod and took a bit of line, then it was gone... My son grabbed the rod and waited for a bit praying it would come back but it didn't. So he started to reel the line up because he figured the bait was gone. He was reeling quick and his arm got tired so he stopped for a rest and then BAM, the Hali hit again!

Got out this past Thursday with my 12 yr old grandson. Fished from 6 to 10am and only doggies for us. He's eager to catch his first Hali as his younger brother got his first a couple of weeks ago. They are being transferred to the US in July (military family) and he wants one before he leaves. Looking to get out again in the next few days.
Saw a boat back at the dock with a couple of chickens.

Got out today from 6 till around 1. Got about 12 doggies and 1 big skate. No hali love today. Fished out near the shipping lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back