Back-Trolling

Was just talking to a boat club member about this.He just bought a Silverstreak 18 and plans on installing a new electric motor that is GPS connected and has a hover(I think they call it) feature so that he can jig and stay over structure,bait etc..It's probably best for small,light boats I assume.

Was just talking to a boat club member about this.He just bought a Silverstreak 18 and plans on installing a new electric motor that is GPS connected and has a hover(I think they call it) feature so that he can jig and stay over structure,bait etc..It's probably best for small,light boats I assume.
Not a chance that's keeping up with ocean currents. I think they're meant for a light breeze on a lake.

They have models for 25’ boats. They’re meant for the ocean. Look at the minn Kota riptide models. I’ve considered it for my 20’ Grady and it would do the job. They get used a lot down south on the east coast. One would need quite the large battery bank I’m assuming.

Example given is a Merc; AKA Black Death.

once you go black, you never come back !

also backtrolling can be wicked dangerous in swell filling up and overtaking an engine well. there is footage on this site somewhere about some morons crabbing with a go pro swamping their boat

They have models for 25’ boats. They’re meant for the ocean. Look at the minn Kota riptide models. I’ve considered it for my 20’ Grady and it would do the job. They get used a lot down south on the east coast. One would need quite the large battery bank I’m assuming.

Even larger boats (30’+) out east using Rhodan motors. They make 36V versions with up to 8’ shafts

Even larger boats (30’+) out east using Rhodan motors. They make 36V versions with up to 8’ shafts
The Rhoda motors look even better. I’ll look at that next year. Would be fun to fish off the bow with a remote

Backtrolling? Never tried it.

I use the little motor and point the bow into the wind/waves/current. Adjust the throttle until the bait is working just right. Works fine.

RPW9R9Q.jpg

The fish box in front of the splash shield works great as a seat, easy to reach the tiller.

itzX5N5.jpg

Backtrolling? Never tried it.

I use the little motor and point the bow into the wind/waves/current. Adjust the throttle until the bait is working just right. Works fine.

RPW9R9Q.jpg

The fish box in front of the splash shield works great as a seat, easy to reach the tiller.

itzX5N5.jpg
It's way easier to manage back trolling. Bow stays pointed in one direction for longer once you figure it out. That's why people do it.

once you go black, you never come back !
How very true - back in the day (60's) the saying was:

If you need to get there first, get a Merc. If you need to get back, get a Johnson.

All in fun, eh? Although I have had 3 trips ruined by Merc's.

Have always used back trolling when jigging halibut/salmon. With either a tiller main, or kicker. It is very easy to keep everyone's lines on the fish compared to drifting. If waves are coming into the well its time to go home, or god forbid sport drag.

I used one of mine last summer when out at Ukee when we were drifting for Hali. With that said it was flat calm the days we were out there but it was great slowed my drift down incredibly. As far as wind and waves and current pretty sure that is what their purpose is to slow a boats drift down in bad weather. When trolling in bad weather and heavy winds you can throw the anchor out on one side of your vessel tied to a cleat mid ship and it will put a pull on one side of your vessel while you steer into the wind with your engine it will slow and even eliminate your bow from being tossed around in the wind. I would give it a try or maybe there are some on here that have that can chime in.

What size is your boat and what size of drift sock?

Great video,I wish they'd mentioned the battery supply and drain time etc..

Yah we’ve been using these for a few years now and they work great but I wouldn’t consider it for saltwater use. For most boats on the coast a guy would have to go with a 36 volt system and 120 lb thrust and even at that you might get 4-5 hours of use. That sucker would be wound out pretty good most of the time keeping you on spot. Not saying it wouldn’t work but run time would be limited. Then you’ve got to have room for an additional 3 batteries or at minimal 2 for a 24 volt system. I’ve currently got a 12 volt unit on my 16’ walleye boat and I’ll get around 8 hours run time on an average day on windy days your down to 5-6 hours. And those units aren’t cheap either, I bet a Saltwater, 36v, 120 lb thrust with spot lock would run close to $3000 plus 3 top notch deep cell batteries with taxes you’d be pushing $4000.00

Yah we’ve been using these for a few years now and they work great but I wouldn’t consider it for saltwater use. For most boats on the coast a guy would have to go with a 36 volt system and 120 lb thrust and even at that you might get 4-5 hours of use. That sucker would be wound out pretty good most of the time keeping you on spot. Not saying it wouldn’t work but run time would be limited. Then you’ve got to have room for an additional 3 batteries or at minimal 2 for a 24 volt system. I’ve currently got a 12 volt unit on my 16’ walleye boat and I’ll get around 8 hours run time on an average day on windy days your down to 5-6 hours. And those units aren’t cheap either, I bet a Saltwater, 36v, 120 lb thrust with spot lock would run close to $3000 plus 3 top notch deep cell batteries with taxes you’d be pushing $4000.00
In high current situations you run your kicker motor using the electric as a bow thruster or using spot lock saving battery and giving you ultimate boat control especially in windy conditions

Back