Rusty Tackle

SaltyAlice

Rusty tackle. I’m talking about fishing lures, you animals, get your mind out of the gutter.
*ahem*
So anyhoo, it’s that time of year again when I start prepping kit and I’ve got a whack of tackle with rusty hooks. I tried to rinse and dry them but I still have a fair number of rusty hooks.

My question is:
1) Do you just clip and replace your rusty hooks as they could be structurally compromised or;
2) Is there a solid way to remove the rust?

Removing Rust

Get yourself a small Tupperware container, fill with pure white vinegar and place tackle inside. Let sit for a few hours to overnight. You'll be amazed at how new they come out. Some may need some elbow grease with a wire brush if that bad.

Compromised Integrity

I guess it could happen but my experience is its just surface rust unless you found these lures at the bottom of the ocean

Pro Tip

I use a sharpening stone to sharpen my hooks twice a year. This will ensure your hooks are in tip top shape. Then a light spray of wd40, keeps tackle in brand new condition and may or may not attract more fish but that's a whole different story.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-general-purpose-sharpener-stone-0578003p.html

In the big picture hooks are cheap. It’s the only part of everything you bring that actually connects to the fish. I want my hooks to be sharp and strong. Any question and it’s gone.

personally love the Owner cutting hooks. Crazy sharp.

I met a couple of oldtimers on the ferry arguing about whether spoons or hoochies were the most reliable. I asked them about rusty hooks. They said after having to go barbless rust is your friend - just file the rust off the tip and sharpen it and then hit it with a magic marker to keep rust off temporarily. I do not know. I am just reporting their theory.

No question at all in my mind...replace them.

Any hook that has seen time in salt water is compromised. I will fish a black steel hook for a number of consecutive days on a spoon and sharpen it frequently with a hook file. After a few days or if rust appears I replace. Even stainless hooks are vulnerable. I have had a number of stainless Mustad siwashs tied on hootchies break off on the beak with a fish on or if you try to replace one with pliers it often breaks on the eye. (I will confess that the Mustads I use are a number of years old from my commercial stash but they were unfished when tied.)

I have resolved to strip down all hooks after a trip, particularly on spoons. Last year after over 90 days I felt that I was loosing fish and ruining gear with rust due to leaving used hooks on gear. I have done the fresh water rinse but salt water just kills hooks. I buy hooks in boxes of 50-100 and they are the cheapest part of the fishing trip.

I toss rusty hooks. Seems to me some hooks are only 'stainless' on the outside. Once the coating has been compromised by sharpening, pinching barbs they seem to cerrode internally. I might be imagining things but I sure don't want to lose a nice fish to a neglected hook.

Back