Herring - Squamish Streamkeepers

I wonder if we could do this in the gorge waterway in victoria? Is anyone, or any organization conducting herring specific work on the gorge?

I don't know of any herring work on the gorge/Victoria and enquired with the group behind the video. If there is, it would be great to know and stand behind and if not then something to aim for.

This seems like the type of restoration projects that need to be pushed to the forefront. More successful spawning habitat for the herring should directly improve the health of our salmon. Sure it’s only part of the issue but it appears to be an relatively easy improvement.

But is the enough food in our oceans to support an increase in herring populations?

There were lots of herring curtains hung in the gorge this year right from the new super marina all the way up the gorge...but again no sign of spawning anywhere. Unfortunately it may be too late to bring back this run, won’t stop us from trying!

Thanks Andrew.
Any info on the group conducting this work? I would be very interested in helping out.

Thanks Andrew.
Any info on the group conducting this work? I would be very interested in helping out.
Off the top of my head I'm thinking gorge waterway initiative, which is a collaboration of working groups, or world fisheries trust. My girl is involved in both so I will ask her to find out and report back with info/contact if you wish to volunteer......good for you! We all need to be involved in strategies like this. I got to sight all the dams and water flow issues on the creek I volunteer at from @Stosh last weekend, was awesome.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking gorge waterway initiative, which is a collaboration of working groups, or world fisheries trust. My girl is involved in both so I will ask her to find out and report back with info/contact if you wish to volunteer......good for you! We all need to be involved in strategies like this. I got to sight all the dams and water flow issues on the creek I volunteer at from @Stosh last weekend, was awesome.

Thanks for getting that information. Yes, it would be great to volunteer for something like this.

Ok just read a bunch of emails. Short story is they were all deployed but weren't used by the fish so they have been removed. It seems like esq anglers and world fisheries trust did the work. Apparently Sidney anglers also do this out their way. If I hear any requests for volunteers I'll post something up.

Cheers,
Darin

A real treat, watching that video. Thanks for posting!
The municipal ramp here in Powell River started an upgrade in the early spring. When work screeched to a halt, I wrote city hall to see if they were planning to be finished before Chinook opening.
The guy in charge wrote back saying that DFO had insisted they hang egg nets & discontinue all work until the hatch was complete.
Seems the word is getting around.

Back