HP Downriggers worth the upgrade?

I have two of those dinosaurs on my boat and they’re still catching fish 12 months/year. I’m just too cheap to upgrade.
Me too. I used to crank two manuals and am still relishing the luxury of electrics. I don’t need those cannonballs coming up any faster than they do with the 1106’s. What’s the rush?

Not worth it, they look more modern and the depth reset is nice
YES and the thief's really like them too ... if they see brand new ones at the dock and older ones which ones do you think will get stolen...also its a mechanical tool for bring up a cannon ball thats it,
it all depends where your fishing too if your down 200 feet plus then yes but if your below 100 feet or some places like less then 50 feet, ive guided all over Charlotte, knight etc in knight best number was 31 feet . honestly i dont need it coming up mach 1 LOL

Depends where you fish the most. Close to shore and kelp beds, you don't need the HPs
Offshore fishing DEEP, yes they are better for that...

Do it if money is making a hole in your pocket and you want to spend it on fishing toys. I could definitely enjoy a quieter and more efficient rigger but I also do good with my double belt dinosaurs. And yes, I do fish for winter Chinook in deeper waters. I have a new 1106 that I bought last year and I’m keeping it as a backup. Dave at the Highwater Tackle did a great job of servicing my old riggers and they will probably last longer than myself.

The HPs are nice for sure but found that you need to run at least a 15 lb ball. Had mine serviced several times and drag set correctly but still would not lower down well with 12 lb balls. Talked to a guy that suggested 15 lb minimum and they seem to work a lot better lowering.

I have the 2106 HP and they are just great. Never had an issue with the digital counter after 4 years. I carry a spare drive belt just in case, and I use 15 and 18 lb balls and have 450 feet of braid.

I would never go back, the HPs are head and shoulders above the 1106, especially if you use the stock rod holders that come with them. And FYI Scotty has fixed the digital counters on them but require you to supply a defective “old style” one in order to swap them. When I called Scotty and talked to them they supplied me with two manual counters that get installed under the lid, as well as a new style counter free of charge, top notch customer service. Speaking with the guys at Harbour Chandler, I believe Scotty was trying to deplete all the old style counters out of stock before putting the new ones into circulation.

The HPs are nice for sure but found that you need to run at least a 15 lb ball. Had mine serviced several times and drag set correctly but still would not lower down well with 12 lb balls. Talked to a guy that suggested 15 lb minimum and they seem to work a lot better lowering.
Sounds like something wrong with your brake. Or just need to adjust your brake. Maybe a factory defect cause that should not be the case. I can lower my 2106's no problem with 12 lb balls. When I switch the sizes of balls I'm using I just do a quick brake adjustment.

My only real complaint about the HP riggers is they retrieve so fast that checking your bait isnt really a thing anymore as any cutplug will be blown out. Luckily I just drag spoons around at a high velocity anyways. :p

If they are so called "fixed" why the old school counters then?? LOL:rolleyes:
they still fail and lots of time numbers dont jive, ill stick to the ones ive been using for 30 years as "THEY WORK" and best part ive hit alot of fish coming up with the riggers as I never "pop"my gear off to check it as then all the weeds cover your terminal tackle bring it up in rigger weeds stop at clip... thst the tip of the week there for ya!!!!!;););)

The hp ones are nice for sure, but if you dont fish much deeper than 100ft and dont use more than 15's there not really needed. For us guys fishing 200 plus with 18-20's they are a necessity.

If your brake is adjusted correctly then you should back off the belt tensioner a c-hair as I had the same problem and that turned out to be the fix.

If your brake is adjusted correctly then you should back off the belt tensioner a c-hair as I had the same problem and that turned out to be the fix.
Thanks for the tip GLG. I have one that chatters & slows down on the drop. I’ll loosen the tensioner before I head out tomorrow. One more thing to try before I send it in for servicing. Funny the Scotty service guy didn’t mention that when I spoke to him.

Thanks for the tip GLG. I have one that chatters & slows down on the drop. I’ll loosen the tensioner before I head out tomorrow. One more thing to try before I send it in for servicing. Funny the Scotty service guy didn’t mention that when I spoke to him.

My guess is you have a warped (or cracked) spool.

My guess is you have a warped (or cracked) spool.
Thanks Chucky. That was my first thought too, but it runs smooth as silk with the belt removed. No wobble or vibration. I couldn’t see a crack, but I guess it could be hiding under the braid. It would be disappointing to find a crack after one short season.
Didn’t get on the water today to check it out... Monday is the plan.

I have my 1106's into Scotty's service centre right now and one of them is doing the same thing....while dropping the ball to depth the spool slows down and finally stops...have to manually push the spool by hand to get it to go lower. It has happened in the past but only found the problem once...belt fibers had lodged down in the motor spindle and I guess as it turned the fibers bound it up. Not the case this time so not sure why it is happening. Left it for Scotty to figure out.

This turned out to be a bit of a hijack, but there’s been some good info here. Hope the OP doesn’t mind.
Tried my uncooperative rigger today & it worked fine. All I did was loosen off the idler a tiny bit. Seems to have done the job.
Thanks again, GLG!

Back