What's for dinner tonight ?

Man this thread is so filled with amazing looking dishes!

I've been tempted to buy a sous vide unit too. We eat so much fish and meat and my older daughter has been asking if we can get one too.
Any recommendations by those of you that own one what to not buy and what to look for in buying one?

I got the VPCOK (unfortunate name) off amazon with a $30 coupon for $70. Came in 2 days (unlike my shindaiwa carb that took 2 months). Reviews were good and if it sucks amazon 30 day return! 1000 watt and I'll review it when I use it.

Darin

I've been tempted to buy a sous vide unit too. We eat so much fish and meat and my older daughter has been asking if we can get one too.
Any recommendations by those of you that own one what to not buy and what to look for in buying one?

Been very happy with our Sansaire but it is pricier.

I bet that sansaire is the **** for sure. I read about it after you replied to my post. I thought for just getting my feet wet with sous vide I would buy a cheapy and see if I actually use the damn thing first. Found this out the hard way o_O

rOeJVWt.jpg

I got the VPCOK (unfortunate name) off amazon with a $30 coupon for $70. Came in 2 days (unlike my shindaiwa carb that took 2 months). Reviews were good and if it sucks amazon 30 day return! 1000 watt and I'll review it when I use it.

Darin
Been very happy with our Sansaire but it is pricier.

Thanks guys. I'll read up on reviews. I've got some $ in Amazon gift cards to use up so this would be a good thing to do that with. Love the Prime one and two day shipping too.

I used a Sansaire for about 5 years until I dropped it last Christmas. Still works but thought it was time to replace it. It's my understanding that Sansaire ceased production a while back so I decided to get an Anova Precision when it was on sale. Seems like a pretty solid machine. I'm not sure I would have a lot of faith in their customer service since they told me it would be impossible to send me an English manual to replace the french version they included with the machine.

I used a Sansaire for about 5 years until I dropped it last Christmas. Still works but thought it was time to replace it. It's my understanding that Sansaire ceased production a while back so I decided to get an Anova Precision when it was on sale. Seems like a pretty solid machine. I'm not sure I would have a lot of faith in their customer service since they told me it would be impossible to send me an English manual to replace the french version they included with the machine.

They are still in business (I posted a link to the latest at The Bay a few pages back) and all of my documentation that came with is in English.

Thanks for the info.

They are still in business (I posted a link to the latest at The Bay a few pages back) and all of my documentation that came with is in English.
Ya they must be. I've seen some listings for them for sale. This one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Sansaire-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00KSFAB74

BC174753-7D0C-4B20-B90D-98DF7D8F254D.jpeg

41B419EB-E2A4-4FEF-BA18-A5B5C7A1E42F.jpeg

Herb crusted ling cod, with oven fries plus homemade tarter sauce and cole slaw.
Oven version of fish and chips to be a bit healthier.
Would have liked a bit more colour on the fish but it was cooked - didn’t want to over cook it.
Very tasty for oven baked.

Attachments

• A03EDB5E-E7A5-44B3-BAA4-F7363A5B2493.jpeg
    A03EDB5E-E7A5-44B3-BAA4-F7363A5B2493.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
So ive been busy harvesting some beautiful oyster mushrooms our land has to offer us and wondered if I could find a recipe for something different , WELL i found one a mushroom sausage... first you saute the mushrooms and then simmer in a wine called Marsala made in silcily , chop up coarse , toasted pine nuts, and seasoning. used some sask whitetail and some local farm pork, as you can see in pics every bite you get mushroom very juicy and yummy found another keeper.....
101508539_10157980939911084_6693141510688342016_n.jpg
101814717_10157980939986084_1861821593571819520_n.jpg
102360729_10157980940036084_1707137624851873792_n.jpg
101979318_10157980940101084_2157114446441349120_n.jpg

Not a recipe. The better half spent about a 2008 Grady White 232 on a new kitchen, and now, apparently the counters need to be free of crap so out with the knife block and in with $13 worth of craft foam from Michael's. A paper cutter would have been handy, but I'm not planning to go back into a school now that I quit that gig. There's room for more. She doesn't know how many knives are hiding in the garage and boat.
View attachment 53486

Attachments

• knife drawer.JPG
    knife drawer.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 48
upload_2020-6-2_8-17-17.png

Did a steak last night just on the BBQ....no sous vide, seasoned the same and both my wife and I remarked that it's good but sous vide first with a sear after was better. Steak was the same cut out of the same package as the one we did a week or so ago.

Add to that we didn't have the "crazy long wait" to relax with a glass of wine. :p:p:p:p

View attachment 53489

Did a steak last night just on the BBQ....no sous vide, seasoned the same and both my wife and I remarked that it's good but sous vide first with a sear after was better. Steak was the same cut out of the same package as the one we did a week or so ago.

Add to that we didn't have the "crazy long wait" to relax with a glass of wine. :p:p:p:p
Have you tried just cooking at low temp for 30 minutes and then searing? More comparable to the SV. I rarely just throw a steak on the grill.

Back