Ling Cod - pin bones and recipes

Pursuit

So how do I get the pin bones out of Ling Cod fillets?! I started with tweezers and ended up with needle nose pliers and found it virtually impossible to get them out. They are like tough plastic spears. What am I doing wrong? And then how about sharing a favourite recipe. At this point I'm thinking of boiling the meat off and
making a chowder.

You shouldn't be filleting them the same as a salmon. Not a lot of meat behind the bones. You just work your way around them. I still take the rib section and cook it separately but bones in. Don't forget the cheeks.

Cast iron pan
olive oil and a touch of butter
3/4 heat
light sea salt
place in pan don't play with it let it sear to a nice golden brown
flip till done, then remove fish onto a plate
squeeze bit of lemon in the pan and pour pan juices over fish

Has a weird bone structure, theres a centre sideways bone on each side, i glide off of top and bottom loin or fillet, trying not to cut off that centre bone, that way it's boneless fillets

You should end up with something that looks like a pork chop after you've filleted it.

Fantastic. The Ling fillets [ya, I did'em like salmon :) ] I have left in the freezer are skin on so I'll give this the video try along with "Reeltimes' " recipe. Thank y'all! What a great site!

Neat way of doing it.
What you can also do is run your finger down the bones to get the line and then cut on either side along this line -has same result .

Flour , egg , cornflake crumb, shallow fry in 3/4 peanut oil, 1/4 butter , hit with salt as soon as it comes out .

tartar,

mayo
Chopped dill pickle
Chopped caper
Lemon
Fresh dill
Grated white onion
Half clove of garlic
Dijon
Grainy mustard
Salt and pepper

Simple but the best way to eat ling imo

Salt and pepper then Rene's ceasar dressing top with crushed cheddar sun chips bake or Bbq on tinfoil big hit with my friends making some tonight

Excellent video. I have always deboned them with a knife that looks faster and easier.

I tried it right after I saw the video and it works. The fish was fresh though. I tried it with a previously frozen fish and it did not work.
Mine were fresh. I don't get it, maybe I'm skinning it too far down and getting into the bones?

I tried it also with a 20 lb ling that was fresh. The first side did not work that good, however on the second side I did not skin as far down.. worked way better. I will definitely give it another go or 2.

Back