the popemobile is getting tired

I dont really believe in that hocus pocus tbh. My old aluminum did have a black box but I never paid enough attention to notice a difference. For larger scale operations like commercials boats I think it might make a difference, but sporties are fishing on a much smaller scale. I use braid anyways so its not an issue for me. Braid is the supreme being of DR lines, dont @ me

So Ive reached out to a bunch of local(ish) builders. Lifetimer, Silverstreak, Jasper, Shadowline, Wolf Boats, Walker Boats, JR Marine, Bridgeview, Riptide, and a few others I cant remember. Only heard back from a few so far but it is the weekend. So if anyone knows of nay boat builders in the area that might want to take on an 18' CC project, please give me a name or website to contact them through.

As I was browsing boats, I noticed something really strange about one of the builders finished products which I think would be a deal breaker for me, although Im probably just too dumb to understand why something would be done this way. Wolf Boats seems to weld their hulls in 8 foot sections, which leaves vertical weld seams on the sides of the hull. They do beautiful work but the seams really stick out to me (not in a good way), so does anyone know why theyd build their boats like this? Is it a cost/space issue? Ive emailed him some questions about a build and if I get a reply that will be the first thing I ask about.

heres a pic for reference:
WC_Cruisers_1.jpg

:confused::confused::confused:

It’s a cost thing. My builder ordered the sheets to be full length for the bottom and sides. Builders will tell you it’s as strong or stronger than a full sheet but I’m like you and don’t like the seams....

I really like the Wolf boats and I’ve heard nothing but good things but I agree with you about those welds . I know a guy that had that boat in your picture above built about 3-4 years ago now and it was the first thing I noticed. It’s most likely fine but I personally don’t like they way those vertical welds look on a 120k boat hull.

I guy I know has a wolf boat up at alder bay ever year. Talked to him about it a few times. He loves it and it’s a tank! I agree that aesthetics of the weld seams on the side are not like others, but the boats are solid from what I can see. I have never heard of a wolf boat hull failure.

Pics update: my new pc doesnt like my phone so Im having trouble getting the pics to my computer.

Thought update: after consulting with jeffywestcoast, Im thinking an 18' offshore CC model might be more suitable. I dont want to fork out a bunch of cash to build the boat of a lifetime only to have 2footitis. If Im going to spend an ungodly fortune on a forever boat, I may as well do it right. According to the data sheet on the Lifetimer 1800 Offshore, my 90hp yammy will push along at 40mph top speed and cruise at 29mph, which is plenty fast for my purposes. Anyone had experience with the 18' offshore model?

https://www.lifetimerboats.com/18-centre-console

I have that exact boat.... absolutely love it. I’ve got 115 / 9.9 Suzuki’s on it.

PM me if you want any info.

A few of the lodges in the Charlottes used these 18' welded boats.
They take some pretty big water easily.
the ones we ran had 75 hp Merc 4 strokes powering them.
In my opinion they need a 115 hp to perform properly

A few of the lodges in the Charlottes used these 18' welded boats.
They take some pretty big water easily.
the ones we ran had 75 hp Merc 4 strokes powering them.
In my opinion they need a 115 hp to perform properly
The older bridgeviews with the (ugly/stupid) downturned bow at WCR used 60hp mercs. The new bridgeviews that they just finished for Duncanby look INCREDIBLE!!! I think theyre outfitted with 90s but no kicker. I dont really want to add a motor swap to my build at this point, so whatever I decide on will have to make due with a 90 (for now), a 115 upgrade in the future is certainly possible.

I havent heard a price yet. I did see a comment from some random on an IG or FB post from bridgeview saying it was listed online at 70 with power and trailer. If thats true (IF), Id guess that just the hull with a few options is in the 35k range. Thats purely speculation, I have reached out to bridgeview to talk more about it so I may have a more definitive answer later on.

Has anybody on here dealt with Bridgeview? I really dig the look and design of their 18EXT CC.

https://bridgeviewmarine.com/product/boats/new-boats/bridgeview-18ext-center-console-2/

I love how the stern cleats are welded on the transom incline, and that leanpost/benchseat/storagebox combo is awesome!
Has anybody on here dealt with Bridgeview? I really dig the look and design of their 18EXT CC.

https://bridgeviewmarine.com/product/boats/new-boats/bridgeview-18ext-center-console-2/

I love how the stern cleats are welded on the transom incline, and that leanpost/benchseat/storagebox combo is awesome!

I’ve had BV for 4 or 5 years,(no T-top, has the “stupid” sloped down bow):pgot it used from the old Milbanke fleet so it wasn’t beat up like the ones that they sold from west side of Gwaii. Snagged one of the wider ones they made(beams just over 8’). Grabbed a lease return 90 that was a spare at lodge that never got mounted. If I hadn’t gotten the “lease return” pricing on the motor I would have gotten a 115 for sure. It’s little underpowered with a 90. Welcome to come for a peek if you’d like. They are tanks though, not pretty but built well. Have fished in some big water and the self bailing deck with oversized scuppers certainly comes in handy when you take a few over the bow. It’s a “big” 18’.

Attachments

• 107EE9FB-59D5-43D3-B367-A4775ABEC16A.png
    107EE9FB-59D5-43D3-B367-A4775ABEC16A.png
    685.2 KB · Views: 209
No offense meant to your downturned bow, hippaisland! I fished alongside those WCR boats a fair bit at the lighthouse and selveson, and I always wondered how they handled in the big seas with those bows. If its any consolation the popemobile would be shattered to pieces by the end of the first pass out there. :p

For anyone wondering, I received a response from Wolf Boats about why their hulls have the vertical seams. I also asked if the hulls could be made with full sheets.
All our boat hulls and sides are designed with press-formed lift streaks; this reduces the number of welds required to construct the hull. Fewer welded joins translates to a stronger hull reducing the risk of metal fatigue. We were the first manufacturer to press-bend hull sides and bottom. (Many companies still use channel angles welded on the outside of the hull plates).

The Wolf Boat hull is the widest at the waterline; this adds to the stability of the hull so it will not slip, shimmy or roll. The bow is designed to move water away from the hull and as a result Wolf Boats have the driest decks in rough seas. Our Super V-hull, tapers to a shallow draft; this provides better handling, significantly less pounding in heavy seas, superb control on turns and reduced thumping on large waves.

Our press formed hulls are have been on the market for 26 years they have proven to be the best.
Pretty sales-pitchy answer. :rolleyes:

Yah I wasnt very impressed with the response. No mention of whether or not the side sheets could be full-length, or subcontracted out. I tried to explain to the sales lady that if Im going to all this trouble and spending all this money, its because I want things done a certain way. Oh well, the search continues.

I’ve had BV for 4 or 5 years,(no T-top, has the “stupid” sloped down bow):pgot it used from the old Milbanke fleet so it wasn’t beat up like the ones that they sold from west side of Gwaii. Snagged one of the wider ones they made(beams just over 8’). Grabbed a lease return 90 that was a spare at lodge that never got mounted. If I hadn’t gotten the “lease return” pricing on the motor I would have gotten a 115 for sure. It’s little underpowered with a 90. Welcome to come for a peek if you’d like. They are tanks though, not pretty but built well. Have fished in some big water and the self bailing deck with oversized scuppers certainly comes in handy when you take a few over the bow. It’s a “big” 18’.
Haha no offence taken! Good luck in the hunt, I’ll keep an eye out for you.

found this old gem in the archives from up on the west side of gwaii 10 years ago or so gives you an idea of the hull design, not sure if they’ve changed much aside from the bow.

93AC236B-97F9-46E6-A217-FE3FD41C1083.png

Last edited:
That looks like it might be the south end of Hippa! Shipwreck would be right behind that airborn bridgeview :p

Have you got photos of the existing Popemobile? You're thinking about installing the pilothouse of the existing Popemobile on the new hull? Sounds like a cool project. That Cope 18' Malaspina has really nice lines

PM.jpg

Heres a sideways pic for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back