2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably one of the only guys that fish the S Arm exclusively from May to Sept but can't teach an old dog new tricks and I'm a local Richmond guy, so most of the time its a lot of water covering but gets good especially in late Aug and Sept and when the runs come threw. The last couple of years its been catch and release for much of the year but that doesn't bother me to much, I just love the sport .... Might not be as many but some are really Big and mean lol Try in late August for the Chins (but then again so is the Cap, N Arm and T10 lol) ! Tight lines and be safe
Great stuff and thanks for taking the time to write. Started salmon fishing couple of years ago and now completely hooked. Geared up during the boat show and anxious to try the new reels and rods. Keeping an eye on the reports and ready to go at first signs of them showing up. Now if we could just get DFO to play nice.

Great stuff and thanks for taking the time to write. Started salmon fishing couple of years ago and now completely hooked. Geared up during the boat show and anxious to try the new reels and rods. Keeping an eye on the reports and ready to go at first signs of them showing up. Now if we could just get DFO to play nice.

Get over to Thrasher and start practicing! There's lots of fish over there, and if you're like me losing a fish when it's catch & release fishing seems to suck less than when things are open for retention.

Water was rolling at thrasher clip kept popping i think I saw a thread on here to modify the clips will be looking into that. One fish about 10 lbs but couldn't fish it just too rough blowing 10-15 but was rolly unfishable unless going for lings and drifting. Tomorrow and Sunday look bad would anyone go out tomorrow?

Hey Prodjsaig you probably know this but no one showed me that Scotty clips have a "tension adjuster" when I started using downriggers. See the attached pic. It slides back and forth, the position in the picture is the tighter of the 2 settings. Good Luck & Tight Lines!

upload_2020-5-31_10-29-31.png

Last edited:
Get over to Thrasher and start practicing! There's lots of fish over there, and if you're like me losing a fish when it's catch & release fishing seems to suck less than when things are open for retention.
That’s the plan. Just bought a gaff at Berry’s yesterday to practice c and r. Hope to put it to use soon.

Hey Prodjsaig you probably know this but no one showed me that Scotty clips have a "tension adjuster" when I started using downriggers. See the attached pic. It slides back and forth, the position in the picture is the tighter of the 2 settings. Good Luck & Tight Lines!

I noticed that but even with burying the clip and setting it back still was popping on me. I'll try to dig up that thread some guy used a screw or something it was unfortunate because I could of fished but the waves and current were messing with me

View attachment 53427

think I just saw you roll up, we are fishing right to the reef in 120’ getting some nice grade Chinook right on bottom, we did lings this morning and got three really nice 15 - 18 lb models , might pop in for our 4th before we leave
Your clearly better at Ling fishing. :pStill looking for our second. Elk smokies on the bbq were good though!

To Adanac's point on the debris field off Thrasher, it runs well up the straits too. I just tied up after departing Wilson Creek on my typical 1nm course and there's nasty junk all over the place from Robert's Creek to Pt Atkinson. 18 knots max for me anyway.

I did a spoon fight off RC, there were lots of boats around...not a whiff! It was a quick 45 minute one way tack as I needed to get back to town.

Hope you all had a great weekend, cheers!

Epic day for us at Thrasher and Grande area today. 25 fish to the boat released without coming out of the water. Of the 25 ...... 15 were of keeper size. One looked to be in the 15 lb range ...... 3 in the 10-12 lb range ..... 4 maybe 8-10 lbs and the rest were comprised of shaker to 5-6 lb range. Of course all these weight guesstimates are coming from overly happy guys ....... I mean ....... we've never experienced fishing, catching and not keeping fish like that before. The "not keeping" did provide a bit of bitterness ...... looked at each one of those keeper size fish straight in the face and said "your lucky day ash%le" which is not fair to the fish but it did alleviate a bit of the bitterness of releasing them. Watch if and when they open up retention ...... we won't catch a damn thing ...... not with Murphy onboard ...... lol. Anyway ...... it was a blast getting into that kind of action ........ put the first line in south of the rock in about 300ft of water and 120 on the rigger ...... started putting the second rod into the holder and first rod goes off ...... YEAH BABY. Release it (10-12sh) and drop it down again. Go to set up the other rod and first rod goes off again ....... hasn't even been 5 minutes. Another 10-12sh released. Drop the line again ....... get the other rod down to 90 ft and within another 10 minutes that second rod goes off ........ 15 sh played and successfully released. To me ..... that's where the epic descriptor is fitting from the get go. Throughout the time we were out there ......... trolling from the rock to about half way to Entrance ..... steady action in all the grades mentioned. Had so much fun with the Chinook that we didn't even try for Ling which is something I wanted to try out this year. Can't complain though ...... can try for Ling when Murphy shows up. Sorry for the long winded post/report ....... just damn happy about the day. Cheers !

Went out first trip this year. Fished Roger Curtis. Had dozen bites or so in 3 to 4 hours. 10 to boat. 4 overs rest under. Ran to Gibson's picked up nephew. Ran back to traps. Then back to McDonald's beach. Had 9 keepers in one trap. The other none. Great all around day. Crab feast time.

Had good day over at thrasher. Picked up some nice jumbo prawns on way home but little annoyed someone swiped my crab in harbour and decided to cut both rot cords off tops of traps to get at them(cheap square metal traps):mad:. Lot easier just opening door and letting them slide out. Saw a boat in area that peeled out when we arrived but never saw anyone pulling them so won’t make any accusations. Gal got me a magma grill for Christmas that I finally put to good use with those elk Smokey’s.

Attachments

• 831FA497-8EC3-4EE3-AB1A-90982B962568.png
    831FA497-8EC3-4EE3-AB1A-90982B962568.png
    791.9 KB · Views: 128
we got out to thrasher, over the weekend, no lings for us but the best prawning I have every experienced!
Just curius, where is a good spot around thrasher for prawning? Tried it several times around Anvil island but had just few landed. Maybe going to bring prawn traps as well next time.

Just curius, where is a good spot around thrasher for prawning? Tried it several times around Anvil island but had just few landed. Maybe going to bring prawn traps as well next time.
They'll be wiped clean by the end of next week.

Looks like coho is opening tomorrow, just a question for experts, when does it make sence to start trying around fisheries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back