2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Planning on running out tomorrow morning from Port.
Leaving down riggers at home..plan is to set out the prawn and crab traps for the 1st time in the area, will be trial & error for me.
Weather permitting we will bottom bounce a jig and buzzbomb in a few spots then
throwing the hook out @ Turtle for the night.
Had a friend that limited out yesterday. You might want to bring the riggers.

Magic depth for our spot was 275-280. 300 and you got shrimp. 230 to 275 and it was water hauls. If you are on the numbers these prawns are big.

Ok thanks for the tip... was going to try just out and around from your cabin area as we're anchoring out in that area for the night

Back from our short "cruise" out to broken group.
Struck out on the prawns..4! Yes 4...jumbos almost 9inches long, nice legal lings, and 1 cod for dinner, fed a local pair of eagles with a few others.
Beauty day out there yesterday, my son came along in his "new" to him ride and stayed for the day.
He trolled around Pill with another 8 or so boats and caught a couple under sized, we didn't stay long, only buzzed bombed and hit and released small rock cod there. Heard a few nice springs were caught there.
Cruised up Effingham Inlet and then over to broken group in and around there for a few hrs.

Didnt like the anchorage at Turtle so found another little sheltered bay outside the group.
Watched a momma black bear and her cub walking along the shore in and out the bushes while we ate dinner.
Woke up to blue sky this morning and the big Coast Guard boat going by, a bit windy, guys out at Swale and Pill area again giving it a go.
Fun run, burned some gas and saw some new sights.

Attachments

• 20200531_085714.jpg
    20200531_085714.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 20200530_141140.jpg
    20200530_141140.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 20200530_190807.jpg
    20200530_190807.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 20200530_124713.jpg
    20200530_124713.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 20200530_124730.jpg
    20200530_124730.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Back from our short "cruise" out to broken group.
Struck out on the prawns..4! Yes 4...jumbos almost 9inches long, nice legal lings, and 1 cod for dinner, fed a local pair of eagles with a few others.
Beauty day out there yesterday, my son came along in his "new" to him ride and stayed for the day.
He trolled around Pill with another 8 or so boats and caught a couple under sized, we didn't stay long, only buzzed bombed and hit and released small rock cod there. Heard a few nice springs were caught there.
Cruised up Effingham Inlet and then over to broken group in and around there for a few hrs.

Didnt like the anchorage at Turtle so found another little sheltered bay outside the group.
Watched a momma black bear and her cub walking along the shore in and out the bushes while we ate dinner.
Woke up to blue sky this morning and the big Coast Guard boat going by, a bit windy, guys out at Swale and Pill area again giving it a go.
Fun run, burned some gas and saw some new sights.

What was it you didn’t like about turtle, I like hearing opinions as I plan to anchor around the broken group lots probably

What was it you didn’t like about turtle, I like hearing opinions as I plan to anchor around the broken group lots probably

Its beautiful place!
If it was calmer winds it would have been ok for me to set up for the night.
I like the bay i anchor in to be flat calm like glass, less noise at night when sleeping lol

A pretty nasty for wind in Barkley this weekend.. Got down there noonish Sat. for the shake down trip. Fished a little around Pill point (Saw u there over the weekend Spring fever) then the kicker trim switches gave me grief so that pretty well put a end to ling fishing .. Rigged for chinook a little there was lots of bait around.. didn't see any salmon release half a dozen just short lings.. Dump and did a pull on the prawn traps got 100 or so on good size critters. Sunday we riggers for 1hr saw one good spring caught had lunch pulled the traps one more time just as the wind finely dropped got a couple hundred more prawns .. av ery lazy trip..rather nice not to be in a rush :)

A pretty nasty for wind in Barkley this weekend.. Got down there noonish Sat. for the shake down trip. Fished a little around Pill point (Saw u there over the weekend Spring fever) then the kicker trim switches gave me grief so that pretty well put a end to ling fishing .. Rigged for chinook a little there was lots of bait around.. didn't see any salmon release half a dozen just short lings.. Dump and did a pull on the prawn traps got 100 or so on good size critters. Sunday we riggers for 1hr saw one good spring caught had lunch pulled the traps one more time just as the wind finely dropped got a couple hundred more prawns .. av ery lazy trip..rather nice not to be in a rush :)
You dropping the prawns in Trevor channel or around plll

that was quick trophy. you just cruised by.
I had the same experience this morning at Kirby. while the wife and friends slept got into 6 fish in 1.5 hours. released wild kept 2 10 pound hatch. 1 had those babies the other 5 inch herring in belly. yet had 3 hookups on my trusty white hootchy

Back