2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon boat ride with my wife. Still trying to catch a decent sized Ling but those damned Springs keep getting in the way. Released one and lost another cookie cutter ~12 lb'rs on 7 oz 'cod' jigs. Both on the drop less than 30 ft. below the boat. Thought I had a hali but turned out to be a 4 ft. dogfish by the tail.

My son-in law got his first ever hali this past Monday and my 10 yr old grandson got his first today. Both only small chickens but the smiles were like they had caught a monster. Nothing better than having someone with me when they get their first. On the mud flats at Williams Head.

My buddy Fred went out and dropped a prawn trap off Albert Head 250ft with a yellow bout on it. It has an anchor but he couldn’t find it as currents were ripping. We’re going out to look for it in the am but if someone sees it pls grab it and let me know. I was out on Tuesday afternoon and got 30 prawns but my trap (no anchor big Bouy) moved at least a mile back towards Victoria. Gotta go on the Hali currents I guess. TIA

My buddy Fred went out and dropped a prawn trap off Albert Head 250ft with a yellow bout on it. It has an anchor but he couldn’t find it as currents were ripping. We’re going out to look for it in the am but if someone sees it pls grab it and let me know. I was out on Tuesday afternoon and got 30 prawns but my trap (no anchor big Bouy) moved at least a mile back towards Victoria. Gotta go on the Hali currents I guess. TIA
I think going Captain Quint and putting two buoys separated a bit helps a lot. First one bears the brunt of the current so the second one can float high.

Lots of springs 4 to 12lb at Constance Wed am so after a quick one on the jig, I picked up the 8 wt fly rod with fast sinking line and went 3 for 5 on cast fly. Did as well as my buddy boat on the jig.

Excellent! Something on my list. A feeder spring on the fly. I think now is a good time to try. All of the Springs I've been catching lately jigging have been shallow.

Anchored from 6:30 to 10 this morning. A ratfish and a doggie for my efforts. Beautiful morning with a few boats around.

Anchored from 6:30 to 10 this morning. A ratfish and a doggie for my efforts. Beautiful morning with a few boats around.

We got on the water at the same time but didn't have the little ones life jacket so headed back in. Tomorrow we'll drop the prawn traps and check crab traps and maybe drift a little but hope to be at my desk for a 10am meeting with 15 people from across North America and around the globe. Hopefully I'll be busy cleaning Hali and miss it!

It was lumpy bumpy out there in my little tinner. Had fun with probably 20 under size lings. No Springs. Just jigging where we could. Did you notice all the prawn heads at the ramp. Somebody is onto them.

After a late start go lines down of William Head and had a nice skate. Traps a little slower but got our limit after deciding white caps beside the boat were time to pull the Hali anchor. Baby is coming so better get this crab smell off me.
Break a leg!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back