2020 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went out yesterday afternoon for 3 hours. Caught 2 barely legal Chinook. The algae bloom has the visibility very low. Lots of goo on the lines.

Fished the Kitty Coleman hump for 4 hours, yesterday.
Caught 4 undersize, no keepers. 6 boats out there and saw one keeper come in. A Wee G Herring Aid spoon seemed the best at 140 feet. Sunny and warm - beautiful day to self- isolate on the water.

April 8, 2020
Kitty Coleman Boat Launch is closed until further notice.
It's part of the provincial park system that was closed this morning.
I have been told that they will be putting up a barrier so that it can't be used.

April 8, 2020
Kitty Coleman Boat Launch is closed until further notice.
It's part of the provincial park system that was closed this morning.
I have been told that they will be putting up a barrier so that it can't be used.
Hardly seems necessary. However, we can still launch at Pacific Playgrounds or Salmon Point.

Prawn hole by Denman cable ferry getting hammered . Never seen so many sport boats even in the summer . All day long . It will be fished out soon Im afraid.

Prawn hole by Denman cable ferry getting hammered . Never seen so many sport boats even in the summer . All day long . It will be fished out soon Im afraid.
There's a prawn hole there? Thanks for the info! I'll be there tomorrow

Heading over to Flora and Norris this weekend. Set some prawn traps and look for lingcod. Anybody ever catch halibut around there? Seems like some good sand flats. I will report back

Heading over to Flora and Norris this weekend. Set some prawn traps and look for lingcod. Anybody ever catch halibut around there? Seems like some good sand flats. I will report back
I have fished around Hornby all my life. I've never caught a hali, but every few year I hear that someone caught one. They used to be here back in the day. There r too many dogfish in summer to jig w bait, so that doesn't help. One time we tried off Flora, I caught something really heavy. Didn't feel like a dogfish. It wasn't. It was 2 of them. One for each hook.

Was a great day off Hornby. Great weather and calm waters. Prawns were a bust and only had a handful in the traps. But we limited on lings.
We were fishing and prawning too today off Hornby. Which boat was yours? Ours is a 21 ft Dbl Eagle hardtop, "My Precious".

We were fishing and prawning too today off Hornby. Which boat was yours? Ours is a 21 ft Dbl Eagle hardtop, "My Precious".

19' Malibu hardtop. Red bimini top. We tried Norris, green can, and flora. Had the traps off flora around '400.

Went out for a quick spin this afternoon off Kitty and had 4 Springs to the boat in less than an hour. Nothing huge.. one about 6lbs the other three were 10-14lbs. All safely released while we went in search of the elusive Ling cod today. Great day to be on the water!

SWC

Less a fishing report (although there are lots of healthy ones out there) and more a "weed whine" report - the sargassum is REALLY bad!
Not as big a concern when its calm and you can slalom through the bigger patches, but when choppy (20kt NW blew up for an hour) it is impossible to avoid. I'm sure i spent more time hauling/cleaning than i did trolling. Usually i can be all "Zen" and let it go, but occasionally like today i end up screaming in frustration.

Reactions: RBL
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back