Guides get the green light

It's not up to people on the island to let travelers in. Its Canada and we are free to travel throughout the entire Country as per the charter of rights.

We are all part of a Country.

There are NO travel bans between provinces & if anyone tried it would be unconstitutional. A public health order will not over ride this.

Folks need to remember the lock down was to flatten the curve. Not about eliminating the virus. Its here to stay and folks need to realize that.

It's no longer about "Cant" it's about "How" we move forward.

Dr Bonnie Henry May 23rd here-----> May 23rd Dr Bonnie Henry
37:00 minutes into the video Dr Henry states:

"If we get to the point in summer, I'd encourage travel" she also says "The caveat is many smaller/remote communities there are First Nations communities with a greater degree of risk or loss that could happen therefore I will leave it to them to determine if it is safe for travelers to come. She said "it is up to them to determine if they are ready for it, if at all this summer".

The provincial health officer has given FN the power to close down tourism in a community they are apart of. The line share of small island coastal communities the FN are a big part of, what will happen is if a bunch of out of province plates show up in a small community and covid appears the road block will go up so fast it will make our heads spin. So it's up to everyone to do there part and promote local BC tourism this year or we could get shut down very quickly. I would much prefer to follow the recommendations. We can't just be driven by the dollar each and everyone of us have a civic duty to our community members to do our part and not contribute to an influx of out of province travelers at this time. Everyone in small coastal communities has and will open their arms to travelers from around the globe but not summer 2020. This isn't a personal attack, if a community in Ontario said please don't come this year I would have no problem respecting that and would go the following year. The atmosphere is going to be strange this year masks, gloves, social distancing this is not a highlight of a holiday in my opinion.

King Pacific Lodge announced today no operation this season. They included a significant number of reasons a number of which are discussed in this thread. I am officially unemployed for this season and totally respect the reasons provided by by George and Lisa. I hope they can weather this non season.

King Pacific Lodge announced today no operation this season. They included a significant number of reasons a number of which are discussed in this thread. I am officially unemployed for this season and totally respect the reasons provided by by George and Lisa. I hope they can weather this non season.

Sorry to hear that it's harsh times, it will pass at some point. We are all taking a beating in the non essential service sector that is for sure, I think for businesses that can hang in there and focus of local business they should be able to squeak by cover the bills it's not going to be a fruitful year. So long as basics in life are covered I'm happy with that.

Seems like the guys on ECVI and South Island as well as Vancouver are prepping for a season.

Just to be clear...my definition of outside travelers would be from outside the country. I heard that the Victoria harbour authority is planning for the start of the cruise ship arrivals later this summer...good luck with that.

The Marina along with the Chamber of commerce also made a statement saying June 1st.....even had the blessing of the band...lol

The Marina along with the Chamber of commerce also made a statement saying June 1st.....even had the blessing of the band...lol

I can can see the chamber and tourism representatives pushing it but I can't see FN support for outside travel into their territories under the circumstances. Below is a recent article which 3 bands including the Renfrew band closing the west coast trail until further notice. A balanced opening with BC travelers is the safest and most respectful way to move forward to be able to stay open, there's big risk to opening the flood gates for many reasons. Once this all passes hopefully by next summer the flood gates will reopen.

View here article dated May 27th ---> https://www.westerlynews.ca/news/west-coast-trail-to-remained-closed-for-now/

I don't support this kind of behavior at all but there is some of this happening in BC the whole atmosphere is weird for travel it's not the time as travel picks up this will probably only get worse-----> https://globalnews.ca/news/6995273/alberta-licence-plate-intolerance-bc-coronavirus/

A car in Tofino not long ago was written on with surfers wax to go home with out of province plates. It's not fair to invite out of province guests out like everything is business as usual, the atmosphere and a few vigilantly occurrences that have happened to date say other wise unfortunately.

Just telling you what I was sent in an email the FN were also welcoming guests as of June 1st. I’m not even going to bother with the whole out of province issue in today’s new Canada.

Just telling you what I was sent in an email the FN were also welcoming guests as of June 1st. I’m not even going to bother with the whole out of province issue in today’s new Canada.

Yah it's nuts the whole situation is a constant stress, we've hung up the skates on charters this summer with all the uncertainty. Going to focus on other business instead where social distancing is easily possible when given the green light.

I’m not a guide so not a problem I’m facing however I do feel for guys that want to try and make it work. I have more of an issue with being held accountable for the color of my license plate. I can drive from a town with zero cases in my own vehicle taking proper precautions which I do at work for 15 hours a day. Stay in my own place when I get there with groceries I brought and never break the social distancing suggestion. Orrrrr I could just hop on a plane and go through 2 International airports that are flying in people from other countries....rent a car with white and blue plates and carry on. Everyone has a part in this to do what makes sense is all I was saying. I didn’t open the marina but I do intend on using it safely.

I’m not a guide so not a problem I’m facing however I do feel for guys that want to try and make it work. I have more of an issue with being held accountable for the color of my license plate. I can drive from a town with zero cases in my own vehicle taking proper precautions which I do at work for 15 hours a day. Stay in my own place when I get there with groceries I brought and never break the social distancing suggestion. Orrrrr I could just hop on a plane and go through 2 International airports that are flying in people from other countries....rent a car with white and blue plates and carry on. Everyone has a part in this to do what makes sense is all I was saying. I didn’t open the marina but I do intend on using it safely.

I hear what you are saying, I think it comes down to contact tracing which can be very difficult if people are traveling from all over. In a perfect health world everyone would stay home but we know that's not realistic so the province is doing a harm reduction model with recommendations baby step opening with a wait and see game. Parks is looking at ID regardless of plates. For the most part everyone is doing there part and as it's been covered large groups of people congregating doesn't help with further restrictions being lifted. It's definitely not province vs province as we are all Canadian's it's about containment with in a region so contact tracing can be as efficient as possible to prevent a possible resurgence, as BC has stated their careful approach is because they don't want to go back in time from the progress they have made bringing relieved restrictions back into place.

Hiding from the virus is not a viable solution. It's here to stay until we have a vaccine, which could be in 2 years, 10 years or never. Either we need to write off the tourism sector for years, or they need to adapt to the new situation somehow. Our measures have been effective, but are unsustainable... They were supposed to buy us time to figure out how to live with the virus, not to get rid of it.

I think there’s a bit of a fixation on license plate colour being the problem the fact is no one is supposed to be unnecessarily traveling to the small communities ( seems to be changing rapidly) at this time in any province and no matter where you’re from you aren’t welcome by some locals. BC residents have not been exempt, but it makes local news rather than National. The plate just means it’s easier for people to identify what they believe is non essential travel ( not sure who put them in charge). I think we all have friends and relatives who live outside the province and find some of the crap being done by the Covid vigilantes over the top. As an aside the marina where I keep my boat has many red and white plates and no one seems to care.

Xenophobia is always ugly and usually the result of ignorance.
It's going to take a while for this to resolve itself.

Provincial recommendations have been far from Xenophobic as well as From the concerned public. An FU attitude and disregard for the health recommendations from a small few can come with a FU response or reaction. Not saying that’s your stance. They have been science based using actions that have proven effective. Our strength has been in following health orders and recommendations.

I miss a good handshake when introducing myself to other tradesman. Some people are saying it’ll be a thing of the past. I hope not

Really!?! I couldn't disagree more. I work with all kinds of tradesmen/women and I'm so relieved that handshaking has ceased. You want a token contact...kick your boots together!

Back