Sea Sport 2400 Explorer or Skagit 24XLC vs Cutwater 24SC

Olde School

We have been quite happy with our Campion 622 sedan with the factory pod. As a cruiser it is capable but a bit cramped for two people trips as long as 2 nights. It is really nice for up to four people for day trips. It makes a decent fishing platform. We like the fuel consumption - pretty much dead on 1L/km at 43kmh (this is with an F200 in the V6). It is nicely towable with my 6L gas Chev. I call this boat a Leatherman - good for everything but excellent for nothing.

We have been considering a move to either a SeaSport 2400 or a Skagit 24XLC or a Cutwater 24 Sport Coupe. Both would be less cramped than what we have now. The Sea Sport would be better for fishing, the Cutwater would be better for cruising. Either way we would go outboard power. We like these two models because they sleep 4, have a proper head and shower, decent cruising amenities, and are fishable.

I keep saying we should keep our 622 and instead of buying the bigger boat with all of the associated costs, simply use Airbnb near marinas when cruising ;-)

I'm interested in what SFBC members thoughts are; especially if you have been on both models.

Last edited:
The 24’ SeaSport’s don’t have sleeping room for 4 adults. You can sleep two adults in the v-berth if they don’t mind cuddling. On the fold down dinette you can get one adult if they are 5’8” or shorter. The v-berth actually has a shorter length on the Port side vs the starboard side. I love my Seasport and it works great for my family- wife 5’7” me 5’8” and 9 year old daughter.

Other boats to look at would be Skagit Orcas and C-Dory Tomcats depending on your specifics you are looking for.

One will sink and the other won't...
The fit and finish on a Cutwater is absolutely appalling. Had an offer on one before we bought the Commander and after the mechanical inspection we were told to run, not walk, away from the deal. Leaky, crappy, shiny at first lake boats. Besides that beam is everything for comfort. A 26 commander podded will do you just right ;).

Changed wording to 2400 Explorer - thanks to Captain PartyMarty.
MadJigga - I hear you about the Cutwater reputation, but those weren't this model.
Saanauk - Good point, I may have actually been thinking about the 24 XLC all along :)

I actually find it best to sleep on the floor of my Seasport, I have a foam mattress that I put down so I would argue you could sleep 4 two upfront, one on the table and one one on the floor, but that would be pretty full house. Works well for my Family as the kids are still relatively small.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Orca great boats, are actually made by the same company that makes seaports

If you find an inboard seasport for a good price, I know all the steps and contacts you need to have it converted to OB. There are actually 4 Seasports on craigslist seattle that look decent and would be good POD candidates. Has me thinking about doing another one...

If you find an inboard seasport for a good price, I know all the steps and contacts you need to have it converted to OB. There are actually 4 Seasports on craigslist seattle that look decent and would be good POD candidates. Has me thinking about doing another one...
To sell? If you're just having fun I'll let you do my boat for me.

I love the cut waters, but they seem really flimsy when I checked one out at the boat show once, I was pretty surprised. There has been the sinking stories also. It’s tough to find the right fishy boat that sleeps 4 in the 24 foot range

I actually find it best to sleep on the floor of my Seasport, I have a foam mattress that I put down so I would argue you could sleep 4 two upfront, one on the table and one one on the floor, but that would be pretty full house. Works well for my Family as the kids are still relatively small.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Orca great boats, are actually made by the same company that makes seaports

We have slept one on the floor also but it sucks to be that person if anyone has to get up during the night to take a pee.

We have the skagit orca 24xlc the front window layout in the orca is better, makes the cab feel bigger which is the only difference in the two boats. No to Cutwaters!

We have the skagit orca 24xlc the front window layout in the orca is better, makes the cab feel bigger which is the only difference in the two boats. No to Cutwaters!
You mean the sea sport is better? Isn’t sea sport forward facing and orca slopes back?

The 24’ SeaSport’s don’t have sleeping room for 4 adults. You can sleep two adults in the v-berth if they don’t mind cuddling. On the fold down dinette you can get one adult if they are 5’8” or shorter. The v-berth actually has a shorter length on the Port side vs the starboard side. I love my Seasport and it works great for my family- wife 5’7” me 5’8” and 9 year old daughter.

Other boats to look at would be Skagit Orcas and C-Dory Tomcats depending on your specifics you are looking for.

I'm a big fan of the C-Dory Tomcat but sleeping that 4th person is hard in any 8'6" beam boat, the table bunk can almost never fit 2 people if there is a stand up head/galley, I couldn't find it on the C-dory site so I assume it's a table bunk for 1. C-dory's have a real Cuddy that even fits people over 6' but people get beat up when heading into chop so it isn't built for the impatient. The Tomcat is my Haida Gwaii dream boat, might not happen for me in this lifetime now that we have had a covid adjustment. I think it's unmatched in range with pretty good efficiency with a 150 gallon fuel tank and stability that is pretty unmatched or so the boys say online.

Ranger Tugs now have outboards and some of the old ones have an extra bed (coffin) under the table to truly sleep the 4th family member.

We have full canvas enclosure for sleeping 1-2 on the cockpit but haven't done it yet. Don't know if that an option with any of the boats listed. 4th family member arriving any day now which was a big determinant in getting the C-Dory 25 Cruiser.

How old are your kids, a smarter man than me said, kids are with you til their mid teens on your boat and then back again when they are older but upgrading for them in the middle years may be fruitless as other activities take over their lives.

We chartered a C-Dory last year and were underwhelmed. I'm sure that they are perfect for their intended uses, but they will not work for us.

I read every single word of the Cutwater sinking report a year or 2 ago. I'm sure there is much more to that tale. It is a concern, though.

If you haven't yet, watch this video about the model I refer to in my title:

We have considered how the kids aren't around much longer, but a stand up head is a big plus compared to the ?facility? on our 622. Extra sleeping space can easily be repurposed as storage.

I looked at the cutwaters at the Seattle boat show but didn’t see this model. They have lots of built ins that I like. Seems like a great family cruising boat with fishing a secondary activity. Do love the built in tow bar.

I don’t remember being impressed or discouraged by their build quality. I have seen some poor reports, but none firsthand.

We chartered a C-Dory last year and were underwhelmed. I'm sure that they are perfect for their intended uses, but they will not work for us.

I read every single word of the Cutwater sinking report a year or 2 ago. I'm sure there is much more to that tale. It is a concern, though.

If you haven't yet, watch this video about the model I refer to in my title:

We have considered how the kids aren't around much longer, but a stand up head is a big plus compared to the ?facility? on our 622. Extra sleeping space can easily be repurposed as storage.

That really is a beautiful boat. I think its hard to compare to a SeaSport. This is more a cruiser that you can fish from. Lots of comforts in their. I'm not sure how that shower system would work in the cuddy. Hey, its BC, don't be shy and shower on the deck :).

WW

Back