Fishing with friends during Covid?

Tips Up

So not to highjack the thread on charters...
What is current protocol and penalty if any for fishing with someone outside of your residence?
Has this been lifted as we have been told it is ok to expand your bubble.

love fishing with my kids but sure would be nice to get some adult time on the boat.

you can only be with some one who lives in your house. I believe that the police are checking but cannot confirm that.

Was out on okanagan lake on sunday evening with my buddy and not a problem at all.. but they are prob policing the coast alot harder then the interior.

Thx.
Anyone have anything in writing or first hand?
I was checked early April and they asked for Names and addresses But I was with my kids.
I was told a couple of weeks ago by a forum member that they were checked in Sidney and were not from same residence but no issues.
Hard to find any clear direction on Covid Protocols and enforcement.
Just lots of recommendations and hear say.
Only thing I can find in writing and enforceable is gatherings over 50 people.

What is the ticket, if there is one? What is the legal thing that they would charge you with? Would this stand up in court? Everything I have heard is hear say, a friend of a friend or saw on Facebook. No one I personally know has had one or anyone they personally know either has had one. Same as you Graham, I can not find anything in writing.

Just received this DFO notice this morning. All the links noted on the DFO notice, do not answer the question of going fishing with a friend. All I can find is you can fish with people who live in the same residents.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - General Information,
RECREATIONAL - Shellfish,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon,
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0476-General Information: Information for BC Recreational Fishers on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Update

As Canadians continue to adjust with life under Covid-19 conditions, recreational fishers are reminded to follow the guidelines set out by Public Health Officials when
taking part in recreational fishing activities in British Columbia waters to help stop the spread of Covid-19. The Public Health Officer of British Columbia has asked
British Columbians to limit non-essential travel within the province, especially to smaller communities. Consistent with the Orders and Guidance for Fishing and
Hunting from the Public Health Officer of British Columbia, fishers are expected to only fish in their local area.

Fishers should also be aware that many coastal communities in BC have closed access and services to visitors to help protect their residents. Access to fuel, supplies
and other services in these communities may not be available.

Recreational fishers should be vigilant to follow the general recommendations from the Government of Canada for the Canadian public, see official advice on the
Coronavirus (COVID-19) page https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html or call the information line at 1-833-784-4397

Updates and changes that were recently announced by the Province of British Columbia regarding recreational fishing in BC at the following webpage:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates .

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is keeping the health and well-being of all Canadians in mind as we work together in an effort to slow the spread of the new
coronavirus (COVID-19). To slow the spread of COVID-19 we ask that recreational fishers keep a physical distance between each other. Physical (social) distancing is
proven to be one of the most effective ways to reduce the spread of illness during an outbreak.

DFO’s Conservation and Protection Program continues to provide a critical function in the Federal Government’s management of Canada’s marine resources. Regular
integrated patrols by fishery officers on land, sea and air are ongoing.

Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard is committed to supporting our fisheries and aquaculture industry during these difficult times. The Government of Canada
is taking the necessary steps to keep you informed of the latest developments.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Greg Hornby, A/Regional Recreational Fisheries Coordinator, http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

You would think that Dr. Henry has said you can increase your bubble I believe to groups of 6 if I heard correct; if you can have a few people around your dinner table I can't see why you couldn't have a couple of friends on your boat.

3 or 4 weekends ago on a sunny weekend day Kits Beach had tons of groups of 5 or more NOT 6' away from each other; that is where they should be writing tickets if they are going to and not worry about a couple of people on a boat.

Just my opinion.

There are lots of Q&A articles on many of the local news sites, maybe it's worth firing a question in there?

I called:
DFO - they don’t know and don’t enforce these sort of things?
told me to call coast guard
Coastguard- not clear answer but they are not enforcing anything as far as the person I spoke to knew. Told me to call RCMP
RCMP- didn’t know much. Told me to call Vic police
Vic police - called a friend. He told me South Island interstates marine unit is the boat on water but had no contact number. I could not find a contact online. Got email shortly after from my friend with some links another officer had given him and said might be something there. I’ll look through These tonight.

So I made great effort. If I get a fine I will fight it in court.

If I was a whale I’d get more attention.

I called:
Coastguard- not clear answer but they are not enforcing anything as far as the person I spoke to knew. Told me to call RCMP
Vic police - called a friend. He told me South Island interstates marine unit is the boat on water but had no contact number. I could not find a contact online. Got email shortly after from my friend with some links another officer had given him and said might be something there. I’ll look through These tonight.

No new cases on the island for three weeks. I think our bubble is able to get a little bigger....

This is what I mean. I to have asked local authorities and got the same run around. No one knew, or passed it on to someone else. Also asked a police buddy and he felt that there was a lot of gray area that you could beat it in court.
I called:

Last edited:
This is one of the areas that I have a major issue with in regards to how this whole covid19 situation has been handled by our government. No clear direction... Lots of gray areas that cause confusion... And worst of all, too many inconsistencies with how they handle it. If I can't bring the same friend or 2 in the boat and these are the only 2 people that I bring moving forward as part of my expanded social circle... Then the problem is with the government and how ambiguous their direction is rather than what I do. How can you say that having a buddy or 2 on the boat is any different than me sitting on an airplane where the person next to me is less than 6 feet apart. What about the person sitting in front or behind me on the plane? They are not 6 feet away. What about the instructions to open up public schools? How are you going to enforce my 6 and 7 year old kids that they have to stay 6 feet apart every minute of the day when they are back in school? It is impossible to keep kids away frome each other when they are in the same room. Too many inconsistencies and irregularities with the instructions and directions. If people are genuinely being responsible and not careless, give them a damn break.

I called:

I checked with the Solicitor Generals Ministry and Was passed off to Emergency BC . Then was told they were unaware of anyone being ticketed. Until I see a copy of a ticket, I’m writing it off as urban myth. Anyone seen a ticket?

Last edited:
There is no offense to ticket you with. Some municipalities have created bylaws, but these can only be enforced by bylaw officers in the municipality. There is A LOT of fake news surrounding social distance enforcement... conduct yourself accordingly.

There is no offense to ticket you with. Some municipalities have created bylaws, but these can only be enforced by bylaw officers in the municipality. There is A LOT of fake news surrounding social distance enforcement... conduct yourself accordingly.

This... there is no offense. Its guidance.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...g/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates#orders

Prior to May 19, the fishing and hunting orders section of the above link specifically stated one could only fish with members of their own household or something to that affect.

This statement has been removed from the fishing and hunting orders section as of May 19th. This tells me we can fish with buddies again. I have also heard that guides have been given the green light to precede with operations which also reinforces this statement.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...g/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates#orders

Prior to May 19, the fishing and hunting orders section of the above link specifically stated one could only fish with members of their own household or something to that affect.

This statement has been removed from the fishing and hunting orders section as of May 19th. This tells me we can fish with buddies again. I have also heard that guides have been given the green light to precede with operations which also reinforces this statement.
It was only a guide line though it was never a law was my understanding. No one has shown me any difference.

Back