And so it begins....

Hey

, Looking for an update on how you are liking your fish locker raised like that? I'm just working on that detail right now with my boat and was hoping for some feedback.

Many thanks,

Curtis

Hey Curtis

At first I wasn't a fan to be honest...lol With they way he builds the hull and foam going in after it was going to be a fairly big mod on my build to go with in floor boxes that he said in the end I probably wouldn't be happy with. Mostly having the void there and making it noisier in his experience. As well as pumps etc below a self bailing deck. Each to their own as you know on a build project...lol After putting some good hours on the boat last year I really liked it after all. I once brought it up to my wife and she thought I was nuts for not liking it at first. It was an aesthetics thing for me in the beginning but it really suits the hull shape I think. I'm 6' and I found it a perfect height to use it to tie leaders at the end of the day and have a flat spot to work. He usually builds them a bit higher but I went with lower and longer and glad I did. It also gives you a bit of a bigger boat feel with the higher stern in my opinion anyway. He would of built it into the back if I had wanted but unless I wanted to lose a bit of deck space with a wider inset fish box then this was the way to go. After all we all know it's a game of inches and I wanted everyone one of them on the dance floor! ;) So after that long explanation of why I went this route and I know I missed a few... I like it. I will be adding a piece of Starboard to the top of it this summer and never got a chance to last year. It's on my to do list along with several other things....

Hey

, Looking for an update on how you are liking your fish locker raised like that? I'm just working on that detail right now with my boat and was hoping for some feedback.

Many thanks,

Curtis

Hey Curtis

At first I wasn't a fan to be honest...lol With they way he builds the hull and foam going in after it was going to be a fairly big mod on my build to go with in floor boxes that he said in the end I probably wouldn't be happy with. Mostly having the void there and making it noisier in his experience. As well as pumps etc below a self bailing deck. Each to their own as you know on a build project...lol After putting some good hours on the boat last year I really liked it after all. I once brought it up to my wife and she thought I was nuts for not liking it at first. It was an aesthetics for me in the beginning but it really suits the hull shape I think. I'm 6' and I found it a perfect height to use it to tie leaders at the end of the day and have a flat spot to work. He usually builds them a bit higher but I went with lower and longer and glad I did. It also gives you a bit of a bigger boat feel with the higher stern in my opinion anyway. He would of built it into the back if I had wanted but unless I wanted to lose a bit of deck space with a wider inset fish box then this was the way to go. After all we all know it's a game of inches and I wanted everyone one of them on the dance floor! ;) So after that long explanation of why I went this route and I know I missed a few... like it. I will be adding a piece of Starboard to the top of it this summer and never got a chance to last year. It's on my to do list along with several other things....

It also keeps my youngest in the boat being higher.....not that we needed it this day at Swiftsure. And lots of room for a few chickens as well....

Attachments

• Swiftsure.jpg
    Swiftsure.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Chickens.jpg
    Chickens.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 208
Hey Curtis

At first I wasn't a fan to be honest...lol With they way he builds the hull and foam going in after it was going to be a fairly big mod on my build to go with in floor boxes that he said in the end I probably wouldn't be happy with. Mostly having the void there and making it noisier in his experience. As well as pumps etc below a self bailing deck. Each to their own as you know on a build project...lol After putting some good hours on the boat last year I really liked it after all. I once brought it up to my wife and she thought I was nuts for not liking it at first. It was an aesthetics for me in the beginning but it really suits the hull shape I think. I'm 6' and I found it a perfect height to use it to tie leaders at the end of the day and have a flat spot to work. He usually builds them a bit higher but I went with lower and longer and glad I did. It also gives you a bit of a bigger boat feel with the higher stern in my opinion anyway. He would of built it into the back if I had wanted but unless I wanted to lose a bit of deck space with a wider inset fish box then this was the way to go. After all we all know it's a game of inches and I wanted everyone one of them on the dance floor! ;) So after that long explanation of why I went this route and I know I missed a few... like it. I will be adding a piece of Starboard to the top of it this summer and never got a chance to last year. It's on my to do list along with several other things....
Ya, I like the look, but wasn't sure of the functionality. The height of my gunnel is 33" and I was thinking 42" for a finished height. My gunnel at stern is 14" deep. I was thinking a box 42-48" wide x 14 deep by 24" tall (which will be like your inset into the space below). I like your idea of starboard after which is what I'll do as well. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should consider. Maybe I should start a thread instead of hijacking yours...

Cheers

Curtis

Up to you but probably good. Make sure you put one of those SS Springs that holds the lid up. Works awesome and one last hinge to get stiff. Also depending what you plan to use it for you could line it or double wall it with insulation and use as a cooler. I was surprised how cool my stayed and only the lid got hot at times. I think the Starboard cutting board on top will help a lot reflecting the heat. I use mine to bleed the fish mostly so I didn't build it to hold ice overnight or anything.

Last edited:
I ran the Troll Master 2 on my last boat and it was incredible, fairly reasonably priced, easy to install and a game changer. That boat was a fairly light 20’ with a 9.9 kicker so fine adjustments were needed at low rpm. A boat of your size and weight may be a different story and you will probly be running at higher rpm anyways.
Do you remember where you purchased your TrollMaster set up? Trying to locate it or ControllKing locally Vancouver area.

Great thread and beauty boat! I'm researching boats these days and joined the forum just to ask you questions ... So, do you happen to know the tow weight of the rig? What kind of fuel burn numbers are you getting?

Great thread and beauty boat! I'm researching boats these days and joined the forum just to ask you questions ... So, do you happen to know the tow weight of the rig? What kind of fuel burn numbers are you getting?

Hello and thanks!

The builder drove the finished hull across the scale before it was rigged. It came in at about 4800lbs. Then you have to add the twin 150’s and the 9.9. The fuel tank is 125imp gallons so a bit of weight if you pull it full. Rigging...electronics....diesel tank for heater and everything else that gets added to a new boat. I haven’t bothered running it across the scales since but it sits on a 8500lbs trailer. As far as running numbers go these are what I remember but don’t watch them too closely...it is what it is ....lol. If I run at 3500 rpm it’s about 26mph and 10.2 gph.

Last edited:
Just happened to be checking out the forum...lol. That is just the hull weight. I think it was 4786lbs actually. Close enough...;)

Also thought since I just installed these to the boat I would just add it to the thread. If anyone is looking for some nice storage options I bought these from Deep Blue out of Florida. They make stock and custom sizes and in all sorts of configurations. Well built including the hardware and latches. I have some others on order for some more storage ideas I have.

Attachments

• boxes.jpg
    boxes.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 137
  • boxes1.jpg
    boxes1.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 133
  • drawers.jpg
    drawers.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 134
  • drawers1.jpg
    drawers1.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
View attachment 46371 View attachment 46370 Last one!!! As promised first blood to wrap up this thread. A big thanks to all that made comments and suggestions along the way. It was a lot of fun posting the progress and see it come to life from the first weld to completed hull to power on and seeing it finally float. I had a great morning today with a high twenties fish to the boat and got off after a failed netting...lol. Shortly after this scrappy fish stuck and now gets the title as first blood! And yes I was fishing in area 121 so the first fish was definitely coming in the boat. Again thanks to all making this a great thread and if anyone is in Renfrew be sure to come say hi........Greg
Awesome Greg. I'll be out there fishing a couple of days but next year likely take my son up often. He's 3 and loves to fish but I'm being careful about taking him out off the west coast even though he has amazing sea legs. Would love to talk Lowrance transducers and setting with you. I just put my old structure scan on last night and run an airmar but I'm not great a marking fish yet! Your set up looks amazing!

Thanks....shoot me a pm anytime. My boat is out of the water for a bit due to work. It’s a great area and lots of spots to take your boy in protected water or a quick run from the dock.

Back