Choosing a flasher

That colour doesn't work...nothing to see here, move along.

Ummm I was using this one around Port Angeles way back in the late 1970's.

Still works. Have a box full, new old stock.

More to try below:

Edit: Is this a the wicked double crinkle on top of the other flashers? It came from a yard sale.

GQQbXq5.jpg

This one still works also: Another one from 40 years ago.

TEXXs9U.jpg

How I keep the flashers fresh: Dunk them in a 5 gallon bucket of hot soapy water when I am washing the boat after a trip. Let them soak an hour, then rinse in hot water. Hang to dry.

I will do not need to buy more gear, have more than a life time supply. Most from way back. A good thing as I am sure prices will go up with the "Corona price increases".

Last edited:
Ummm I was using this one around Port Angeles way back in the late 1970's.

Still works. Have a box full, new old stock.

More to try below:

Edit: Is this a the wicked double crinkle on top of the other flashers? It came from a yard sale.

GQQbXq5.jpg

This one still works also: Another one from 40 years ago.

TEXXs9U.jpg

How I keep the flashers fresh: Dunk them in a 5 gallon bucket of hot soapy water when I am washing the boat after a trip. Let them soak an hour, then rinse in hot water. Hang to dry.

I will do not need to buy more gear, have more than a life time supply. Most from way back. A good thing as I am sure prices will go up with the "Corona price increases".
I see 2 of my go too in your drawer??? WTG

HM

I see 2 of my go too in your drawer??? WTG

HM

Most in the drawer (those still in packaging) were purchased at Swains (best mom & pop hardware and tackle store in Port Angeles) during their yearly "clean out the slow moving stock" sales. So they were not bought on any good tips or stolen ideas from you fellow fishermen!! Just spec buying.

My old reliable go to flashers are Hot Spot red plastic with the silver mylar. Work most of the time.

That old OKI with the No. 60 hoochie has been a reliable combination over the years.

What about the metal flashers
Such as Nookia , ABE & AL , Dodger PAL etc.

Are the Nookia or Sockeye fishers not good for dummy?

Anyone does still using the metal flashers ?
I use Abe & Al w/a Spoochy when I troll the bottom for Lings...

I don't know what it is but ive always had success with moon jelly/purple onion. I started to use green with a red stripe down the middle and never actually used a chartreuse flasher/lemon. Will buy a chartreuse and a bronze/goldish one for the fall.

Like the old timers say, find the fish and you will put a few in the boat.

I have fished the Port Angeles area since 1978. Basically I know what areas have the bait, structure and usually have fish on the correct currents. Just about anything will work if you fish it properly.

Oddest catch for me was a 19 pound Chinook at Green Point. I was jigging for true cod back in the days before the draggers wiped them out. 13 ounce stainless steel pipe jig.

What about the metawas better in coloured water.l flashers
Such as Nookia , ABE & AL , Dodger PAL etc.

Are the Nookia or Sockeye fishers not good for dummy?

Anyone does still using the metal flashers ?
Nootka's and Abe N Al's are great flashers. But for sportfishing they really put a drag on your rod and line. They were the staple until Jack came out with the Hot Spot. However, they work better in clear water than the Hot Spot. The Hot Spot was better in coloured water.

IMHO the swivels and stiffness of the flasher are far more important than color, with one exception. Can’t beat an Ole’ Betsy on the beach late July/Aug.
****** swivels suck for obvious reasons, but as long as it rotates it will fish. The affects rotation, stiffer can be trolled slower and still have a wide rotation, softer is tighter and needs more speed. Weight of lure also affects this. Hootchies don’t deaden a flasher as much as say a large spoon. I prefer the harder stiffer plastic ones especially on the beach when springs are finicky, these will still rotate at a crawl. Hot spots I give an extra bend to help em out.
Retrieved an old beat up Oki with sampo swivels off a west coast beach years ago. There wasn’t any color on it just clear plastic, had a matte sandblasted look to it. Thing fished as good as anything the rest of that summer.
Flasher color catches more fisherman than it does fish imo.

Agreed Doubleheader. Flasher colour is a marketing technique, not a fishing one. Way too much though put into that. The hootchie/spoon whatever is the important part. More importantly I guess, is Are there any fish actually there?

For springs and coho, red hotspot, ball bearing swivel both ends. For Sox, green or blue hotspot flasher, ball bearing swivel both ends. If you keep changing flashers all the time you then have to figure out what speed and tail length to use for each flasher. 100 different types of flashers to master seems like lunacy to me. Get your favorite handful of flashers and learn how to fish them and then stick with them. Don't go changing everything up because some guy got a couple of fish beside you one day. Thats fishing, it happens.
Depth, location, speed, direction of travel, lure, leader length, tide, time of day, light conditions, water conditions, scent, so many variables, why add the flasher into the mix.

Back