Steph

Looking for any tips or pointers for bottom fish (ling specifically) in oak bay/waterfront in Victoria. I’ve had a bit of luck with a keeper ling off east discovery but most fish are well undersized.

anyone have any tips or pointers to potentially get on some bigger fish?

thanks!

Be careful alot of RCA in that area...

I'm just trying to figure it out myself. I have found using larger lures with much bigger single hooks reduces the amount of those pesky China rockfish caught. I've tried out deep but still find the bigger ones where all the little ones are. I guess they are where the food is and they seem to like eating smaller lingcod.

Most of the big Lings were cleaned out years ago by the bottom jigging expeditions
from the Oak bay beach hotel.
Back in the 70's and 80's the hotel charter boat used to clean up on rockfish
and Lings.
Not to say there aren't some around, just not big numbers like there was.

On the flats? Do you know where?
Look at your maps and find bottom structure. Pick out a bunch of spots to try. If you haven’t got something in a short time, move to the next spot. This tactic is my favourite part of Ling fishing. Cover territory to find your spots. Once you find a bunch of producing spots. Don’t fish them out. Bottom fish are easy to catch as they’re aggressive and bite just about any lure. Spread your fishing around or you’ll turn productive spots into dead zones.

Back