Selling an unregistered boat

Talisker1

I bought a boat two summers ago and never bothered to register it in my name. I know I should have but anyway. As such I have not paid the taxes on it. I have the bill of sale etc.

I want to sell the boat now, is there some way to sell it to the next person without registering it to myself first ?

A couple of old shifty Sookies sold my buddy a boat like this last week but it hadn't had the registration transferred for a couple owners back :(. They just told him don't register it and if the cops stop him promise to register it. I am a little concerned how hot a boat it is but at least it ain't my boat. I would love to find out how it has worked out for others. Good luck in your sale.

I bought it through a reputable brokerage from the registered owner and have the bill of sale, survey, receipts etc. It’s certainly not a hot boat. The broker however is just that they are essentially just helping facilitate a private sale, so they don’t follow up to see if you bothered to register it or not I guess it’s not their problem.
just trying to avoid registering it just then turn around and sell it again

I bought it through a reputable brokerage from the registered owner and have the bill of sale, survey, receipts etc. It’s certainly not a hot boat. The broker however is just that they are essentially just helping facilitate a private sale, so they don’t follow up to see if you bothered to register it or not I guess it’s not their problem.
just trying to avoid registering it just then turn around and sell it again
Just to be clear, I believe that you are talking about licensing your boat. I bought a licensed boat many years ago and I did not transfer the vessel license into my name. I did, however have the trailer registration transferred. I had a Bill of Sale and the signed license transfer document for the boat.

Several years later I sold it. I provided the documents to the new owner, he signed and processed the transfer document, paid the PST and the boat was legally his. Seven years have since gone by and I presume it all worked out okay. I imagine this situation was not a rare occurrence.

The newer , online transfer process requires:

Last edited:
I bought a boat two summers ago and never bothered to register it in my name. I know I should have but anyway. As such I have not paid the taxes on it. I have the bill of sale etc.

I want to sell the boat now, is there some way to sell it to the next person without registering it to myself first ?
Just fill out a bill of sale and give to the new owner, thats their proof of ownership when they go to licence it. Bought several boats that wern't licenced by the seller and was never an issue.

It becomes an issue if you are involved in an accident where your boat is found floating around with no one on board. The Coast Guard will be looking for the previous owner's family members to notify that you are missing. The province will seek you out for their money if anyone spills the beans about who they bought the boat from. I bought my boat new in 1992 and paid taxes and duty at the time. A few years ago I had to re-register the boat with commercial numbers as a requirement from TC. I got a letter from the province asking that I pay taxes due on my boat purchase..as a new number was created in their system. I had to provide them with an explanation and proof that ownership hadn't changed and that taxes had been paid.....like 20 years prior.

I had to provide them with an explanation and proof that ownership hadn't changed and that taxes had been paid.
Same here and I had to get a notary sign off stating I did...

I was looking at a beautiful Skagit Orca last September. Right when we got to short-stroke time and I was reaching for my wallet, the guy said...oh, by the way, I never registered the boat. Just thought I’d let you know......

For me that was a deal-breaker because I had to drag it over the border and when registering it in the lower 48, there would have been a mandatory “title search” innoculation period (to make sure the boat wasn’t hot).....meanwhile, during that time period I would not have had title.....if I’d been hit by a bus, my daughters wouldn’t have been able to liquidate the boat as part of my estate.....maybe not a big deal in Canada but down here, registering and paying excise tax produces a Title—-no Title, big problems for an owner, both boat and trailer...

I purchased my boat in the USA years ago, went and got title to boat and trailer, then crossed boarder and you bet Customs made sure I paid the necessary taxes and all my ducks were in a row. At least I can blame it on them if anything goes sideways lol

I was looking at a beautiful Skagit Orca last September. Right when we got to short-stroke time and I was reaching for my wallet, the guy said...oh, by the way, I never registered the boat. Just thought I’d let you know......

For me that was a deal-breaker because I had to drag it over the border and when registering it in the lower 48, there would have been a mandatory “title search” innoculation period (to make sure the boat wasn’t hot).....meanwhile, during that time period I would not have had title.....if I’d been hit by a bus, my daughters wouldn’t have been able to liquidate the boat as part of my estate.....maybe not a big deal in Canada but down here, registering and paying excise tax produces a Title—-no Title, big problems for an owner, both boat and trailer...
A lot different when your importing vs just buying and licensing within the country. Canada doesn’t have “titles” so regardless your bill of sale here is classified as proof of ownership.

Wondering if anyone can help. I’m looking at this boat, owner has no paperwork to go along with. The boats $12,000(don’t know if relevant). It was registered 2 owners ago in Ontario. All I can be provided is bill of sale from this seller but not from whoever last registered the boat. Does anyone know if this will be a pain to try get registered in my name?

At some point the government will start using computer records to track owners. It’s ridiculous to think they haven’t yet developed a system to track ownership from manufacture, to breakers yard. Let’s face it they know people are avoiding paying taxes and abandoning boats that haven’t officially changed ownership in years. How can you sell a boat and produce a bill of sale if legally ( from TC perspective) you never transferred ownership so never owned it. How hard would it be for them to to say the last owner was so and so, when did he sell it to the guy who issued you a bill of sale, we have no record. I’d stay clear of any sale where I’d be put in a situation where when I went to license the boat my bill of sale was from someone other than the last owner of record.

Back