Nahmint Lake closing indefinately

sss

Apparently the Nahmint forestry site will be closed permanently due to danger trees, depression in the road, overfilled outhouses.

Wow brutal news one of my favourite camps on the island. Absolute shame I won’t be able to take my kids there.

Seems crazy there isnt money in a budget somewhere to keep places like this open in the 10 years I have been on the island hardly any of the back country forestry/provincial parks have had any maintenance.

Wow brutal news one of my favourite camps on the island. Absolute shame I won’t be able to take my kids there.

Seems crazy there isnt money in a budget somewhere to keep places like this open in the 10 years I have been on the island hardly any of the back country forestry/provincial parks have had any maintenance.
Seems like a good place to spend C-19 money.

Apparently the Nahmint forestry site will be closed permanently due to danger trees, depression in the road, overfilled outhouses.
Wtf???
Where did you find this info on the closure?
I love that site and was just there.
Theres a brand new bridge in place and the road in is just fine!
I hope this isnt the case.
That campsite needs to stay open!!!
I wonder if any volunteer arborists could take care of the danger trees......
Problem solved?

Pastafarian

Gate is locked, numerous large tress felled and MOF saying site will be closed permanently.......not good.

Not a campground I use but if you want it to stay open you are in a great position with an election in process. Call the Ministers office, newspapers, radio and TV stations and write letters to the editor. Call the opposition parties and give them the issue. They should be strengthening and increasing these low Covid risk rec. opportunities. desperately needed in these times. These camps historically have been low cost and greatly benefited British Colombians and the internal tourist economy. When you cannot travel outside why is the NDP not supporting BC's own stay at home low cost recreational network. Have some fun with it.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to our office in regards to Nahmint Lake Recreational site, as MLA Fraser's assistant I am happy to respond.

First my apologies for the lateness of this response. As you can imagine our office has seen a large increase in correspondence and emergency case work since the start of the pandemic, which has caused a delay in our ability to respond to all inquiries in a timely matter. We appreciate your patience during this challenging time.

I reached out to the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations to inquire about the concerns you have raised and they have provided some details and an update on the Nahmint Lake site that I would like to share.

First I would like to point out that the Ministry was clear that day use of the site is still allowed- but overnight camping has been prohibited to minimize safety risks and because of deteriorated conditions of infrastructure, including the pit toilets.

In your email you mentioned the danger from the trees. While the ministry acknowledged this was certainly a factor, there were also a number of other challenges in maintaining these sites. These challenges include:

• The Region and Recreational Sites and Trails do not have the significant resources required to maintain/upgrade this site and the bridge associated with access (we were told it would be hundreds of thousands of dollars for the bridge work alone)
  • The danger trees in the surrounding area are part of an Old Growth forest which requires special considerations when it comes to removals.
  • Issues with access- Part of the road leading to the site runs through private land and there is currently no access agreement which is problematic for both liability and other reasons.
  • Road maintenance - maintenance is an issue as is the temporary nature of the bridge that is currently being used.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact our office with your concerns. I hope this information is helpful-particularly the information that the site remains open for day use.

Sincerely,

Andrea McDonald| Constituency Assistant

office of Scott Fraser, MLA

Mid Island-Pacific Rim

250-720-4515 | 1-866-870-4190

RAW

The gate just off the main is locked and you have walk into the campsite. They have felled some trees and left the rounds about 4' in diameter and about 5' long laying all over the place. Not a single one had any rot. ******** about the cost of the bridge; put a large culvert in pack with rock and done. From what I can find out the Hupacasalth band more than likely has the right and ownership of the road coming off the main down to the site.

What! That's awful. Wife and I love Nahmint, nothing beats camping amongst those big trees and we go a few times each year (except 2020 :(). Didn't they get enough trees out of the now devastated upper valley? f*ckers. :mad:

Seems like something similar happening at Pennask Lake, west of Kelowna. No maintenance on road, no removal of beetle killed trees. Closure signage to the provincial park site is citing dangerous trees, but the road to the for profit lodge remains open.

What! That's awful. Wife and I love Nahmint, nothing beats camping amongst those big trees and we go a few times each year (except 2020 :(). Didn't they get enough trees out of the now devastated upper valley? f*ckers. :mad:
Yes, it is awful news.
One thing that's changed however, is the MLA for mid island.
Scott Fraser is out and Josie Osborne is in.
I will be reaching out to her shortly regarding this matter.
Anyone that is interested in camping at Nahmint Lake ever again may want to consider writing Josie as well.
Pastafarian

Yes, it is awful news.
One thing that's changed however, is the MLA for mid island.
Scott Fraser is out and Josie Osborne is in.
I will be reaching out to her shortly regarding this matter.
Anyone that is interested in camping at Nahmint Lake ever again may want to consider writing Josie as well.
Pastafarian
Ha Ha! She is worse than he was. Good Luck!

Back