2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im with Chuck, what are we gonna do about these trap poachers? Something needs to be done.

Gotta say it’s my first time out prawning here locally in 3 years and wow I cannot believe how many boats I have caught going to pull mine or another buddy’s traps...... I knew and remember it always being bad but this is stupid crazy. There’s always the bad apples but judging by what I’ve seen in the last 2 weeks it’s like it’s normal to just cruise around pulling random traps.

Another reminder...this is a fishing reports thread not a "Report Poacher" thread. Please do report poachers to the proper authorities, but we aren't them, so let's keep these report threads for fishing, such as it is, reports.

Thanks.

Fished Cowan today from 11-12:30. A few other boats fishing Closer to shore. We stayed on the outside and only hooked an undersized on a kitchen sink. Moved to RC right before the low slack and fished the deeper water south west of the marker. Hooked 2 wild fish in 450’ of water, homeland security 110’ and 125’ on the rigger the last one was a high teen that peeled a lot of line and bent the hook right by the boat.

Watch for a submerged deadhead east of Cowan. That thing looked like a widow maker.

Last edited:
Another reminder...this is a fishing reports thread not a "Report Poacher" thread. Please do report poachers to the proper authorities, but we aren't them, so let's keep these report threads for fishing, such as it is, reports.

Thanks.
that's all fine and dandy but we also need to alert our fellow fishers as to who these aholes are that are pulling OUR traps, boat pics etc., we should have a thread for that on here as it's a big enough problem for all of us who crab and prawn and would help all of us to recognize these boats. this is a problem that law enforcement refuses to or cannot deal with. Until we can make it not worth these peoples while to continue poaching it will only get worse.

Fished Cowan today from 11-12:30. A few other boats fishing Closer to shore. We stayed on the outside and only hooked an undersized on a kitchen sink. Moved to RC right before the low slack and fished the deeper water south west of the marker. Hooked 2 wild fish in 450’ of water, homeland security 110’ and 125’ on the rigger the last one was a high teen that peeled a lot of line and bent the hook right by the boat.

Watch for a submerged deadhead east of Cowan. That thing looked like a widower.
Saw that dead head too thing was nasty. Wish I had a marker .

Fished tunstall most of the day and a little around RC. Had a couple nice hatchery to the boat one on Derby winner 3.5 and my buddy had one on a blue hootchie . Had a real zinger popped off the rigger and right up to the top was thinking it could of been a wild coho running to the top and jumping right out of the water . Wish I could have landed it and took a better look.

that's all fine and dandy but we also need to alert our fellow fishers as to who these aholes are that are pulling OUR traps, boat pics etc., we should have a thread for that on here as it's a big enough problem for all of us who crab and prawn and would help all of us to recognize these boats. this is a problem that law enforcement refuses to or cannot deal with. Until we can make it not worth these peoples while to continue poaching it will only get worse.

sugar + gastank usually does the trick , easy to get away with aswell

saw that dead head on the way home too it was ugly. We didn't get a sniff at Bowen but 8 to the boat at Thrasher with a couple high teens another 6 or so we never saw. White hoochie and a 3.5 herring aid purple haze and the black and glow flasher i forget the name of 300ft of water at 99 to 135 on the riggers. Awesome day glad we ran over in the morning!!

HITW my favorite place. Always a challenge to see if you can outsmart them cause they are there. 7 hits and 5 to the boat. 3 shakers around 2 lbs Really surprised that small for this time of year. Did bring in one teener that took 3 nice runs. Love to hear the reel scretch. All fish 100 -130 ft. Much lower in the water compared to last few years. Flat water a bonus but lots of weeds around.

Nothing but a lonely walleye pollock at mile markers today. Moved to south Bowen. After some searching and getting close to the end of the day nice hit at 110’ in 400’ while I’m trying to get the other side down. Grab the rod and look over and the other side is going off. Double header! My son and I play the fish to the boat. 14 to 15’ (so probably a 10’) unclipped fish on one side and a same size clipped fish on the other side. Great day on the water. Would have been even better if DFO could ever get their s##t together. Disgraceful.

We went to thrasher and fished from 11 to 5pm today. Flat crossing both ways
Had 3 that were keeper sized to the boat including a fat wild spring in low 20s that gave a great fight.
Best depths 117-137. blue green glow hooch and green white skinny g were most productive.
Lots of salad in the water to foul the gear. Hooked another 15 shakers or bigger fish that we never saw. Fished 160-600ft wAter. Only 3 keeper crabs from 2 traps at Jericho. Saw a commercial boat fishing that area

Wow! What an epic day I had with this young proguide and his dad. I work at a lodge with him in Haida Gwaii but under the current circumstance this season the lodge has decided to remain closed so we decided to exercise our skills locally...and what a day it was...No lie...we landed and released over 35 Chinook yesterday in our 7 hours of rod time...only 2 rods...no time or need to stack rods...I've attached a few pics...we started just north of Thrasher on the ebb in 450' of water and worked the contours of the Grande once the tide turned...our productive rigger depths were from 90' to 155'...our most productive terminal tackle included a hootchie we call the Canuck...it has very similar colours to that of the Vancouver Canucks with a bit of sparkle and glow as well...flasher to match...Herring Aide spoon in 3.5...behind a chartreuse flasher...and anchovy in a wired chartreuse glow bullet troll and flasher to match...late afternoon we stopped in just north of Roger Curtis and landed a couple more on the anchovy set up...the average size was around 12 lbs with at least 6 chinook in the mid teens and a couple around 18...we were on a 32' proline called Sting...enjoy the pics...support your local tackle shop...tight lines...IMG_0474.jpg IMG_1343.JPG IMG_0479.jpg IMG_1353.JPG

Could be doing some rescue training. They were out in the white rock area patrolling the water border a few weeks ago and then did a similar beaching at crescent beach.

A few years back I watched them deliver an injured boater to waiting paramedics at Spanish banks. Low tide & lifeguards running around to get people out of the way and clear a very wide path for the hovercraft. Was very impressive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikewbird/status/1265096263340457984?s=12

Anyone hear why hovercraft is in English bay right up on/near shore?
We were smelting just East of Wreck Beach once. I had anchored the bayliner in about 10' of water at the higher side of the flood and we took the tender to shore. Figured we'd be out of there by about the same side of the outgoing tide so NBD. Well then here comes the bloody Hovership sideways around river mouth busts a 180 onto the beach blowing everyone's **** everywhere and sand into our faces. No less than 6 guys on board. They waved us over to tell us we'd be dry in about 6 hours which would have been 1 AM. Then they f***ed off the same way they came in. Full throttle making yet another yard sale of the beach. Insane waste of resources I thought.

We were smelting just East of Wreck Beach once. I had anchored the bayliner in about 10' of water at the higher side of the flood and we took the tender to shore. Figured we'd be out of there by about the same side of the outgoing tide so NBD. Well then here comes the bloody Hovership sideways around river mouth busts a 180 onto the beach blowing everyone's **** everywhere and sand into our faces. No less than 6 guys on board. They waved us over to tell us we'd be dry in about 6 hours which would have been 1 AM. Then they f***ed off the same way they came in. Full throttle making yet another yard sale of the beach. Insane waste of resources I thought.
sounds brutal

Prawning and Crabbing was lights out today. My attempt at anchoring for halibut was not so amazing. Quite the cluster.
take me out sometime.. i have tried it a couple times. or see ya in bam. with chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back