Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

It's so weird why someone would go through the effort of the fibreglass work and not pod it, but instead put a transom well in it.
A "transom well" would have great appeal to me if I were considering an alternative to an existing I/O.

A full repower on an inboard your still looking at 20-25 g for new, rebuilt is 5g and leg is another 3-5 g, so its not way better. Lot more things to go wrong on an IO then a outboard. Plus IO are a ***** to work on, motor is trapped in a doghouse where anything is hard to get at. I did most of the work on all my motors IO and believe me the french curse words where to no end, got my first outboard 4 years ago and its a breeze to work on. As my other post said i will never own a boat with an IO
Wack a bravo 3 leg and kiss 10k away. Place set of props is a grand even

Same with a Volvo leg,only more expensive.The difference for me between IO and outboard 4 stroke is simple reliability.When I owned an IO boat there was alway's something needing attention,water pump,gimbal bearing,bellows,exhaust manifolds or elbows,corroded starter etc..With an outboard I just use and maintain occasionally and I'm confident in it.

Same with a Volvo leg,only more expensive.The difference for me between IO and outboard 4 stroke is simple reliability.When I owned an IO boat there was alway's something needing attention,water pump,gimbal bearing,bellows,exhaust manifolds or elbows,corroded starter etc..With an outboard I just use and maintain occasionally and I'm confident in it.
Nailed it, thank you, i mean you have to pull the motor to change the starter, changing manifolds and risers On some boats the motor need to come out and on and on, motor mounts rusted to **** and on and on. Rant over lol

I got a few questions, why outboard vs inboard? From what I can see an outboard is super expensive, for parts, if you can even fix them yourself and fuel.
An inboard, for the most part, is basically a car engine with a different cam. Mercury's fuel charts show them getting better fuel economy and if a dual prop even better.
Second the old boats, 80's - 90's Searay, Campion, Fiberform's, Sunrunner's, Double eagles, I still see a lot of them how do they rank?

How is a Volvo leg vs a Merc leg?

Obviously I am looking into another boat, but not with a $40 G motor or $60 G boat, I just don't use it enough and don't guide.
On your question 2, 30 and 40 year old fiberglass boats can still be serviceable, if well maintained. The big issue is structural wood in the transom, stringers and also the floor. Replacing rotten wood is necessary and expensive. Some brands have held their value better than others: Hourston, Double Eagle, Malibu for example. I fish out of a 30 year old Malibu Tyee and it's still solid. Granted, the electronics, batteries, bilge pump, upholstery, etc. have been replaced over the years and some wiring has been upgraded. The outboard is a 2006 4 stroke that has been regularly maintained. There's a wealth of experience here and I'm sure you will get lots of good advice. In a nutshell, find a solid, older boat that has a west coast fishing pedigree and match it up with newer, 4 stroke power. You'll be happy.

Nailed it, thank you, i mean you have to pull the motor to change the starter, changing manifolds and risers On some boats the motor need to come out and on and on, motor mounts rusted to **** and on and on. Rant over lol
This varies by motor and by boat...I replaced the starter on my old I/O in about 15 minutes and the only thing I had to remove was the doghouse.

Replacing the manifolds takes around ten minutes.

This varies by motor and by boat...I replaced the starter on my old I/O in about 15 minutes and the only thing I had to remove was the doghouse.

agreed, the ongoing debate between the 2 types of drives often brings out some extreme examples.

One in 10 boats are like that , pics of the set up please?????

I don't have a pic handy that shows the relationship of the starter, the manifolds and the doghouse, but it's the extremely rare "double eagle" an obscure brand which few here will have encountered or heard of, no doubt.

I have no particular love of I/O setups but mine has endured a usage schedule few recreational boats will experience and it was fine. I find concerns about them are overblown.

I don't have a pic handy that shows the relationship of the starter, the manifolds and the doghouse, but it's the extremely rare "double eagle" an obscure brand which few here will have encountered or heard of, no doubt.

I have no particular love of I/O setups but mine has endured a usage schedule few recreational boats will experience and it was fine. I find concerns about them are overblown.
Lol

Very well said rockdog. I have owned both over many years . They both have pro's and con's. Depending on size and vintage and there uses and the personal skill's to work on. At last but not forgotten the size of your wallet. LOL Enjoy what you have and stay safe on the water. Have fun

Back