Kyuquot bound this summer?

Pippen

I'll keep anyone posted as we hear more info but our slot at Kyuquot Sound Lodge is now booked for August 10-14. It is a private lodge but they are restricting it to no more than 8 people and have to be pretty much from the same family or close relationship. (which we're all good on)

Just waiting to hear what the First Nations stance is going to be as they will be advising of protocol and although we have our slot booked the lodge doesn't have a full go ahead for the opening yet.

Once I hear I'll post up for anyone headed up that way.

Our booking is on hold.... the band wants no outsides there......my fingers are crossed but I doubt it.

We have 2 boats booked at Murphies for July 6. Haven’t heard if it is a go or not. They have not charged the balance yet until they know if they can open or not

My friend called them a couple weeks ago and they were still open. But a lot has happened during that time so I don't know what it's like right now.

It appears as a result of the border crossing, all Murphys guests from the U.S are being moved to next year and the spaces will not be backfilled. I guess this means there will be more spacing for the local guests. Should hear for sure soon.

Can anyone comment on theft problems at the dock at Fair Harbour. Was looking to store the boat there overnight. The lady in the phone said the camp ground does not insure the dock and they recommend you unload your boat to prevent theft. She suggested there was problems but also was trying not to discourage me from booking. It put me off the location for sure.

also how long does it take to boat approx from Fair Harbour to Grassy? Is it mostly protected waters?

Can anyone comment on theft problems at the dock at Fair Harbour. Was looking to store the boat there overnight. The lady in the phone said the camp ground does not insure the dock and they recommend you unload your boat to prevent theft. She suggested there was problems but also was trying not to discourage me from booking. It put me off the location for sure.

also how long does it take to boat approx from Fair Harbour to Grassy? Is it mostly protected waters?

It's about 15 NM's to Grassy from Fair Harbor. Yes protected waters. Check the wind report directions the morning you head out on the water and plan your fishing from that. Lot's of Islets to fish behind both north and south of Kyuquot if it's blowing in from off shore.

Just to add to what Chasin Dreams said you will generally be in calm water until you get out near Rugged Point and round it to head south to Grassy. We do an excursion there every year when in Kyuquot for an afternoon beach bbq and we have had a few times where the water inside the islets along there has been downright nasty and we chose to run around Union Island to get back to the lodge and we've been in good big water boats. Generally it is pretty good but it can be nasty with the wind going an unfavorable way.

Just to add to what Chasin Dreams said you will generally be in calm water until you get out near Rugged Point and round it to head south to Grassy. We do an excursion there every year when in Kyuquot for an afternoon beach bbq and we have had a few times where the water inside the islets along there has been downright nasty and we chose to run around Union Island to get back to the lodge and we've been in good big water boats. Generally it is pretty good but it can be nasty with the wind going an unfavorable way.

I just got back a couple days ago and I highly recommend going around union island if it's nasty out.

Here's an example of a SE wind blowing 5 to 10 on the inside and 10 to 20 on the edge of the outside with 25 blowing off shore. In this scenario look for areas to fish tight to the islets on the NW sides for the best cover from the wind. Plan your traveling to and from the fishing areas this way too. You can often make the best of fishing and safety even on windy days when planning in advance and picking the best covered areas to fish in.

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 9.41.15 AM.png

Here's an example of a SE wind blowing 5 to 10 on the inside and 10 to 20 on the edge of the outside with 25 blowing off shore. In this scenario look for areas to fish tight to the islets on the NW sides for the best cover from the wind. Plan your traveling to and from the fishing areas this way too. You can often make the best of fishing and safety even on windy days when planning in advance and picking the best covered areas to fish in.

View attachment 54479

thanks, how about theft problems at the dock at Fair Harbour. Was looking to store the boat there overnight and run out each day. The lady on the phone said the camp ground does not insure the dock and they recommend you unload your boat Completely to prevent theft. She suggested there was problems but also was trying not to discourage me from booking. It put me off the location for sure.

I have never had a problem leaving the boat at Fair Harbour overnight. Been camping and fishing out of there for 6 years and always had a good experience.

On years we don't fly I have left my truck there for a week with no problems.

Years ago I heard of some bad stories such as kayakers coming back to find no tires on their truck.

Back