Coal Harbor Boat Launch

cpt.ahab

Hi All. I'm heading up to Winter Harbor at the end of this month and was planning to launch at Coal Harbour and run out. I have a 29ft on a triple axle trailer and was hoping someone could offer some information as to the condition and suitability of launching this boat there. Any alternatives or other information would be greatly appreciated. I'll post my results when I get back..Thanks...Ahab

1st off, enjoy it up there. I love fishing up there. The boat launch is a low slope because its an old floatplane launch. I'd say its a 2 person launch although I've seen it done by one (it was somewhat comedic). Parking that beast this time of year probably wont be too much of a problem. Be careful driving around their 'parking lot' as there are old pilings from a demolished aircraft hangar.

Bring your crab traps and set them on the opposite side of coal harbour for pickup on your way out. And enjoy your trip. I look forward to reading the results.

Cpt Ahab

Go to Port Alice.

Coal Harbour is an old whaling station and as Heavyc pointed out, it is a very low sloped launch. You will need to put in and out at high tide and even that will require you to have your back wheels of your truck in the water at a min. Plus they charge you to launch ($10) plus park and if they get you to park your trailer in one spot and truck in another, they will sometime charge you $10/ vehicle -trailer/day....depending on who is around. Plus there is reports of gas and diesel disappearing in vehicles left there.

Port Alice is free, lots of parking and they dredged out their launch this spring, so getting a big boat like yours in and out is no problem. But to be safe, I would make sure it is on a reasonably high tide. It is the same distance to run and even the same distance to either Coal harbour or PA. The only thing to worry about is the road to PA, it is hilly and twisty, which could be a problem with your big boat.

any other questions, let me know.

Cheers

SS

Thanks a lot for the info guys. Launching a 29fter can be problematic at times, I think for this trip we'll take my buddys 24fter and avoid the hassles. Anyway, I'll post when I get back and fill you guys in...Thanks again

Coal Harbour is a nice launch, parking has never been a problem for me or any of the groups I've been there with.
There is a drop off in the cement at low tide though, so be careful with the bigger boat.
I've launched in Alice several times as well. About 50/50 in terms of preference, although Coal is quicker to access and the run out is a bit less.
Have a great trip!
Smiely.

I have fished WH for 14 years and have always launched at Coal Hrbr. Never had a problem with theft and you can always ask to park above the hanger to the right of the old post office on the grass if you have a big rig. It is a two guy op-I have a 24 Orca with a pod -we drive it off and on. I have gotten it out on a 1 ft tide but there is a lip on the ramp and it required 4 wheel drive. 3 ft tide is safer!!

Digging up an old thread here. I'm heading up to Winter Harbour and was planning on using the Coal Harbour launch and came across this thread. Why do you guys say it is a two guy launch? It appears from what I can see that there is a dock near by?

Digging up an old thread here. I'm heading up to Winter Harbour and was planning on using the Coal Harbour launch and came across this thread. Why do you guys say it is a two guy launch? It appears from what I can see that there is a dock near by?

Have had no issues with my boat. There is a dock right there you can tie to when you go park your vehicle/trailer in the lot. Pay the guys in the plane place. There is a dip/lip on the ramp but we had no issues on low and high tides but I do have a 4x4 which you might need if it is real low and you have to back a ways in.

Rumble Beach Marina and Parking Policies
Please place your numbered Rumble Beach Marina Parking & Boat Launch Pass on the inside of the driver’s side window or on the dashboard.
Your Parking & Boat Launch Pass ($60 annual fee) enables you to:
  • Park one vehicle registered by license plate at the Port Alice Village Office, in the Marina parking lot or overflow parking area across Marine Drive.
  • Launch the boat as registered at the Village Office
  • Park one boat trailer as registered on a day to day basis, no trailer storage is permitted. Parking/Launch Passes may not be used in another vehicle that is not in the same household and registered with the Village. A second pass within the same household is available for $5 – with a license plate registered with the Village Office.

There is no dock right beside the ramp. You need one guy to back the boat down, then another on the boat to drive it over to the dock to tie up. The dock is close, but not close enough to easily launch by yourself. I'm sure you could do it solo, but it is easier with two.

There is no dock right beside the ramp. You need one guy to back the boat down, then another on the boat to drive it over to the dock to tie up. The dock is close, but not close enough to easily launch by yourself. I'm sure you could do it solo, but it is easier with two.
Ah thanks for the heads up. As long as there is a dock near by and beaching is not required I'm good to go.

This is my boat launching on my own at Coal Harbor. Done it several times with no issues. Dock is right there next to ramp. Ya sure you can't reach over and touch it with your hand but it's right there. Drive boat off trailer over to dock, tie it up, go back to truck/trailer and park. Nothing special about this launch other than if it's very low tide then a 4x4 is a good idea.

34368011_393352994499612_5969347574652469248_o.jpg

34348126_393350861166492_2220201236777402368_o.jpg

34347235_393350724499839_7879445266351259648_o.jpg

Last edited:
This is my boat launching on my own at Coal Harbor. Done it several times with no issues. Dock is right there next to ramp. Ya sure you can't reach over and touch it with your hand but it's right there. Drive boat off trailer over to dock, tie it up, go back to truck/trailer and park. Nothing special about this launch other than if it's very low tide then a 4x4 is a good idea.

View attachment 53178

View attachment 53179

View attachment 53181
Like I said, doable with one, easier with two. Can’t wait for my next trip up there. Pretty neat place.

View attachment 53178

View attachment 53179

View attachment 53181
Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!
You're welcome. Good luck out there. Watch for the locals tucking into the bays when the squid show up. If you dont fish live ones then throw on a glow white hootchie and if you can add a bit of pink pearl flash to it. But even when they're feeding heavy on the squid they'll still be eager to hit Herring and Anchovy too when they are inside feeding heavy.

You're welcome. Good luck out there. Watch for the locals tucking into the bays when the squid show up. If you dont fish live ones then throw on a glow white hootchie and if you can add a bit of pink pearl flash to it. But even when they're feeding heavy on the squid they'll still be eager to hit Herring and Anchovy too when they are inside feeding heavy.
Awesome! I have been to Winter quite a few times, usually I drive and and one person in our group brings in a 17 foot whaler which has worked for us but is less than ideal for up there especially this time of year. I decided this year I'd take my boat but that road is so bad it would take me all day to do the drive into Winter Harbour if I didn't want to kick the **** out of the boat and trailer... and have it covered in dust too.. Will report back after the trip!

Awesome! I have been to Winter quite a few times, usually I drive and and one person in our group brings in a 17 foot whaler which has worked for us but is less than ideal for up there especially this time of year. I decided this year I'd take my boat but that road is so bad it would take me all day to do the drive into Winter Harbour if I didn't want to kick the **** out of the boat and trailer... and have it covered in dust too.. Will report back after the trip!
Anyone know when the launch is open and any store there where we can get ice before first light ?

Back