2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dod

I disagree with this and the reason why is, people can pick up traps twice on a day regardless if overnight fishing is alowed or not. the regs apply 125 a day no matter how many times you've pulled or set or left your traps for however long . you already cannot pull or set traps after sunset and before sunrise. so I don't see the problem here. if guys can only get out after work or set later they should be able to pick up again in the morning. Simple as that I think overnight soakes are always worse anyway strong believer in that they escape over time. Plus other creatures have more time to venture in.

cheers

I couldn't agree more with you on this. The diff between overnight and 4 hours soaks? Nominally the answer is zero. Im a firm believer that they come and go as well. My gopro only goes down to 160ft before the pressure turns the power switch off lol. I have only found one video on this. Guy in alaska. Tough for them to get inside the trap in heavy currents also.

Small black cod in this video? looks like it

I couldn't agree more with you on this. The diff between overnight and 4 hours soaks? Nominally the answer is zero. Im a firm believer that they come and go as well. My gopro only goes down to 160ft before the pressure turns the power switch off lol. I have only found one video on this. Guy in alaska. Tough for them to get inside the trap in heavy currents also.

Small black cod in this video? looks like it

ya that’s a cool video thanks for sharing. always wanted to get footage of the prawns down there

Tried for Halibut today and the skunk continues. Had something on that felt like a dead weight, no head shakes, no runs, just heavy. Never got to see what it was because the leader snapped! Appeared to be teeth marks on it and it was 100 lb leader, so pretty hard to break. Never had something come up from bottom like this before.

Just looking at my Navionics charts and see there is an reef area south of Sidney Island marked Restricted. It’s not part of the RCA, anyone know why this shows up as Restricted area?

Just looking at my Navionics charts and see there is an reef area south of Sidney Island marked Restricted. It’s not part of the RCA, anyone know why this shows up as Restricted area?
Can you take a pic and attach?

Tried for Halibut today and the skunk continues. Had something on that felt like a dead weight, no head shakes, no runs, just heavy. Never got to see what it was because the leader snapped! Appeared to be teeth marks on it and it was 100 lb leader, so pretty hard to break. Never had something come up from bottom like this before.
Octopus.
Nothing but dead weight.

Trolled for a few hours around slack at coal today, no bites for me marked some fish and couple bait balls, but saw a guy in a blue eagle craft aluminum hook a fish then proceed to net it, then place it in his motor well...... 5 min later I passed by him and asked if he kept that spring? he said no I was just “trying” to release it. then proceeded to throw it over after picking it up by the gills. looked to be a 6-8 pound Chinook, I too do not agree with the non retention rules but to do stuff like this is downright disrespectful in my opinion. worst part is he had two young kids onboard. not what you want to be teaching them. Think he may have had another fish on but didn’t see if it was released or not. can’t believe some people out there think that they can get away with stuff like this.... what’s the point? This is what gives the sport fishing industry a bad name.

any way ended up picking up a nice Ling after giving up on trolling.

I also tried Coal a couple times in the past week. Both short mid day attempts around the slack. Released a 5-6lb unclipped, an 18-20lb clipped, and lost one probably 10-15lbs near the boat. Id just serviced my reels so the fights were awesome. All 3 hits came a little ways off the bottom, on a cheap little skinnyg or maybe a needleg, my trusted AP spoon got no love.

Theres also no reason to net a fish right now, or even a need to carry a net on board. Unfortunate to hear you witness that Brett.

Got out of Sidney this am around 8:30 went out by Darcy drift jigging and trolling for halibut. Got one small one about 12 inches. Headed to Mandarti island to jig for some Lings and on rout was pulled over Light flashing by RCMP and checked over with things all good. Bite came on about 2pm and couldn’t get the line to the bottom on one side and only a couple hits on the other. Ended up with a nice 72 cm ling cod for dinner. Trolled back to the Spit with no bites then smashed through the waves back to Sidney. Great day overall with a good buddy.

Dropped the crab and prawn traps and trolled Moresby while they soaked. Released a smaller clipped Spring. Lots of bait and fish arches but the bite didn't seem to really come on. Rewarded with a huge haul of spot prawns just before the commercial opening although there was a commercial boat working the area - no doubt on his "recreational" license. IMG_0979.jpg

Went out today in search of my halibut anchor. We had to release it Saturday when the wind came up and the boat wouldn’t start ( isn’t that always the way). Was quite the evolution but we let her go thinking we’d come back yesterday or today based on weather. When we headed out today to the south end of Sidney Island we were unable to locate it so we extended the search down to the reef by D’arcy. Figured after a bit that it was gone but then saw the Scotsman off in the distance. Managed to drift at least a mile but we were ecstatic to find and recover it.

Decided to head south of D’arcy outside the RCA and try our luck. Saw a few boats already anchored up, but found some open space and got set up. Caught some dog fish and yet another Skate. Didn’t see any action on the other boats but they were a ways away so who knows. Anyway no Hali, but got the anchor system back so all in all a good day.

Hi guys,
I have a Paddle Board and I've been fishing in Sidney. Wondering where could be some good spot for jigging for Salmon and Lingcod here...I am using Zzinger, Spinnow, and Zelda Jigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back