2020 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
How has salmon fishing been in the area? I'm heading up to parksville for the long weekend and have never fished French creek area before. Thinking of bringing my 16' tinny. Is there anywhere to prawn in the area? Where do people typically troll for salmon? Not asking for anyone's spots or coordinates, just a general idea would be great please, thanks!!

Orcas heading eastbound from Qualicum Beach to FC right now , incase anyone has a slow day fishing and wants to get some whale watching in

How has salmon fishing been in the area? I'm heading up to parksville for the long weekend and have never fished French creek area before. Thinking of bringing my 16' tinny. Is there anywhere to prawn in the area? Where do people typically troll for salmon? Not asking for anyone's spots or coordinates, just a general idea would be great please, thanks!!
Just drive out for 5-10 minutes till you hit the humps. Look for them on your chart. Troll the bottom w a glow hootchie or spoon and you'll have a good chance of getting one. I haven't been out though, so don't know when it'll get good. Going to wait till it's open for retention.

Prawning is along the 300 ' shelf drop off, and it's good.

Has anyone had any luck with ling cod around mistaken or Gerald islands. Tried what looked like good spots with good gear and had nothing, no rock fish. Was a little surprised it was so dead.

Has anyone had any luck with ling cod around mistaken or Gerald islands. Tried what looked like good spots with good gear and had nothing, no rock fish. Was a little surprised it was so dead.
You're right, it is dead. Just getting the odd undersized ling and a few rockies.
Bait is very sparse around this area right now which seems unusual.
Salmon C&R has been poor around here as well. I keep thinking they're going to show any day now, perhaps today is the day ;)

Bit of a late report but was out Monday eve and it was on fire at the humps for C&R. Running a herring aid style hoochie and a glow white, most action was at 150’, all fish released successfully along side the boat. Couple other boats out as well having the same luck. Finnerties have been extremely good as well if you want a change of scenery. Hit low slack yesterday and had two monster pin poppers that didn’t stick and that was it for a couple hrs.

Got out to the humps this morning with a buddy and a boat full of kids. We had a fish on within a minute of trolling and then another one as soon as we got the one line back down. We ended up releasing 4 chinook and lost one in just over an hour before the wind picked up. Kids had fun.
All the fish were between 9-12 lbs and caught at 120-150 ft on spoons and a glow hootchie. Would have been nice to keep one for the bbq. My 4 year old asked if we couldn’t keep the fish because of the corona virus.
We put down one crab trap and got nothing at all. If anyone has any crabbing tips for French Creek let me know.

Got out to the humps this morning with a buddy and a boat full of kids. We had a fish on within a minute of trolling and then another one as soon as we got the one line back down. We ended up releasing 4 chinook and lost one in just over an hour before the wind picked up. Kids had fun.
All the fish were between 9-12 lbs and caught at 120-150 ft on spoons and a glow hootchie. Would have been nice to keep one for the bbq. My 4 year old asked if we couldn’t keep the fish because of the corona virus.
We put down one crab trap and got nothing at all. If anyone has any crabbing tips for French Creek let me know.
I have tried there a few times with mixed results 40'-70' same down at Rathtrevor but more in the 80'-120' range. Closer to Madrona seems best and from the parking lot at the boat launch to the bayside. Always use cod or salmon carcus for the best results. never had luck with the pellets scented or not. Good luck!

I have tried there a few times with mixed results 40'-70' same down at Rathtrevor but more in the 80'-120' range. Closer to Madrona seems best and from the parking lot at the boat launch to the bayside. Always use cod or salmon carcus for the best results. never had luck with the pellets scented or not. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I am going to give it a try at Columbia Beach next time and I’ll report back here. Hard to get salmon carcasses when I am releasing them all but I’ll figure something out.

I find boned chicken works great if I have no salmon carcasses

Fished the humps yesterday afternoon, got out around 130. Was pretty non stop hook ups, first fish was on before the drag was even set on the rod drop. Nothing big all 10 to 12 lbs. Marked lots of bait, was tons of salad and debris around. Green glo flasher with herring aid spoon was unstoppable out fished everything by far. May try again today if it’s calm enough.

Got a friend into his biggest fish he’s ever caught, I guess it was 27 or more . Was caught in a double header both on plugs off sangster. Was a nice little Wednesday nite.

Attachments

• 3972B777-79F8-4FD3-A8C8-791F81F4D24F.jpeg
    3972B777-79F8-4FD3-A8C8-791F81F4D24F.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 166
Got a friend into his biggest fish he’s ever caught, I guess it was 27 or more . Was caught in a double header both on plugs off sangster. Was a nice little Wednesday nite.
That's a hawg! What size plugs were you pulling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back