Let's talk about dinghys, tenders, rhibs, kayak, sup etc

We bought last year an 8 foot rib that we put on hardtop. Takes 2 of us to pull it out of the water and up onto roof. It was doable. Just ordered radar this week and spent this past weekend trying to figure out best way to mount dome and still being able to get dingy up and down without too much of an issue. Also there is now a 6hp to go on dingy. All takes up limited space. I really like the rib but now wonder if soft bottom would have been easier just for sheer storage and space. The dingy is for running dog to shore when anchored out for a few days...so hard bottom is a benefit when in rocky areas and running it onto shore where you could puncture a soft bottom.

Are you selling any Avon’s at the moment? I think I see the same photos you just shared on Craigslist...

Yes, I had three Avons listed. The RIB is spoken for, and the R3.40 with the Yamaha 15 Hp was on Craigslist for all of 5 minutes and I got a call with full-price offer. I’ll remove the listing tomorrow when he picks it up.

That was a peach of a boat...really sorry to see it go, but with the FN politics up in Region 6 and the insane amount of guided jet boats, I just can’t see chasing steelhead on the Skeena system any more so I pulled the trigger. I’ve used that Avon up there since the 80’s and it still looks like it just came out of a box

Just found this picture last night of that Avon on the THompson: brings back some memories:

EA38A7CA-40BD-44C3-9DF9-5882A2AF49AD.jpeg

I also listed an Avon7 but .....full disclosure, it’s a bit too small to use as a tender. You feel a bit exposed with such small pontoons. It’ll hold two people in flat water but with any wave action, it’s wet butts all around

The smallest Avon I’d consider as a tender would be either the Redstart or the Redcrest—-those two commonly show up on Craigslist for $ 300 - $ 500, depending on condition

Here’s the Avon7:

DCDB339E-0B33-488E-96B5-1E0F0F602B3C.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I had three Avons listed. The RIB is spoken for, and the R3.40 with the Yamaha 15 Hp was on Craigslist for all of 5 minutes and I got a call with full-price offer. I’ll remove the listing tomorrow when he picks it up.

That was a peach of a boat...really sorry to see it go, but with the FN politics up in Region 6 and the insane amount of guided jet boats, I just can’t see chasing steelhead on the Skeena system any more so I pulled the trigger. I’ve used that Avon up there since the 80’s and it still looks like it just came out of a box

Just found this picture last night of that Avon on the THompson: brings back some memories:

View attachment 53111

I also listed an Avon7 but .....full disclosure, it’s a bit too small to use as a tender. You feel a bit exposed with such small pontoons. It’ll hold two people in flat water but with any wave action, it’s wet butts all around

The smallest Avon I’d consider as a tender would be either the Redstart or the Redcrest—-those two commonly show up on Craigslist for $ 300 - $ 500, depending on condition

Here’s the Avon7:

View attachment 53110
Ahh. To bad. The red one on eBay, I put a bid on it and the boat was removed from eBay! I’m guessing they sold it locally. Oh well. I’ll keep looking. Cheers

I have both a paddleboard and small Alaska inflatable tender with a 2hp honda and oars. The inflatable has the detachable transom and can whip us around desolation sound or the gulf islands on low current days. http://www.alaskaseries.com/270TDS.htm and here is a little bit about their fabric choices and this is from 15 years ago so there have to be some better fabrics out there now http://www.alaskaseries.com/fabric colors.htm

For a paddleboard, we carry this Red Paddle. I'm an advanced paddle boarder and weight about 175. Anyone with less skill or heavier would want something a little bigger but this is amazingly light for the ladies to carry. https://redpaddleco.com/en-ca/product/98-ride-sup/ here is a cheap version that looks really good: https://www.flamanfitness.com/aztron-nova-10-0-isup-kit.html

Happy to chat paddleboards at length as I've owned 6-7 and I'm certified as an instructor.

Here's a paddle board question for you: do you think they make any kind of reasonable alternative to a single person dinghy for getting to and from a boat?

I ask because sometimes I wish I just had a tiny dinghy that I could just keep on the boat for when I just want to anchor and pop in to shore. I was thinking about making a super lightweight punt that could be towed or paddled, but now I'm curious about a paddleboard.

I can't fit a full sized dinghy on the boat all the time but a micro-dinghy or maybe a standup paddleboard, I could. Last year when I was commuting by boat and leaving it on the hook all the time, sometimes I would get so sick of dealing with the dinghies at either end of the trip I'd put my clothes, wallet and phone in a dry bag and just swim.

Screenshot_20200523-193836_Chrome.jpg
Here's a paddle board question for you: do you think they make any kind of reasonable alternative to a single person dinghy for getting to and from a boat?

I ask because sometimes I wish I just had a tiny dinghy that I could just keep on the boat for when I just want to anchor and pop in to shore. I was thinking about making a super lightweight punt that could be towed or paddled, but now I'm curious about a paddleboard.

I can't fit a full sized dinghy on the boat all the time but a micro-dinghy or maybe a standup paddleboard, I could. Last year when I was commuting by boat and leaving it on the hook all the time, sometimes I would get so sick of dealing with the dinghies at either end of the trip I'd put my clothes, wallet and phone in a dry bag and just swim.
What about a tube with a bottom?

I saw a guy using a paddle board to get out and back to a Grady on a mooring ball. Looked very easy and effective. He just stored on the side of the walk around cabin.

paddleboards are hard to balance on. any wave action and youre head first into the drink. you have to stand perfectly straight and balanced which is why you see people on paddleboards looking like statues. your centre of gravity is so high the whole thing is basically unstable. best to use something where you are low to the water like a kayak.

i have seen guys who load their gear and passengers on beach and then anchor out, and then come to beach in a small 1-person river kayak. In same instance i have seen guys use a small Sportyak. I imagine either of these options would be lightweight, more durable than inflatable, and something to store in v-berth or hardtop? I would think the Sportyak would be pretty good for one person that works. DAJ

i have seen guys who load their gear and passengers on beach and then anchor out, and then come to beach in a small 1-person river kayak. In same instance i have seen guys use a small Sportyak. I imagine either of these options would be lightweight, more durable than inflatable, and something to store in v-berth or hardtop? I would think the Sportyak would be pretty good for one person that works. DAJ
Yeah a really small kayak was about where I was landing for my application, but I'm open to alternatives for sure

Hey folks saw this tread had to throw in my two cents. Having just purchased my third dingy for the Reel Loco.. (not including paddle boards).

8' Zod - stable, handles higher HP O/B, won't damage finishes, light but.. they always seem to loose air/psi (due to temp changes, leaks from valves or pin holes / seam leaks etc), really suck to row especially when low on air and if the pontoons do leak after you have loaded it on the pilot house, the floor falls out and your securing lines are slack. I have been using a foot pump this sucks unless you're on the hard. I'll look into the 12v Scotty plug set up (brilliant) really good idea if we use the Zod again

8' Walker Bay - really nice to row, never goes flat, light to load on Pilot House, cheap, won't damage finishes, motor transom (non planing hull so like 2.5 hp), sail kit available love this little boat, but... if you are heavy/big boned, tipsy (heavy and tipsy... super fun to watch) the stability is something to pay attention to. You can add a pontoon kit but this adds more weight yada yada.. just don't step on the gunnel to get in or you'll really be in!

Aluminium punt - just to many cons to even start listing them off

At the end of the day, we anchor out and row into beaches all over Barkley Sound. For us the little Walker Bay has ticked a majority of the boxes. It's usually just myself pulling the dingy from sea to roof top so needs to be light & easy to slid, especially if we're anchored in ruff water hauling up onto the roof. It's really nice to row so that's one less motor I need to bring/maintain, flush... along with all the BS that comes with another motor.

Hope this helps

So I bought a walker bay rib for 100. Needs a small leak repaired. Anyone have any good you tube or internet how tos

I just bought an 9 1/2 Ft. zodiac PVC for $50 last week with a small leak.Really easy fix,bought a kit from local marine sales.Locate leak with soapy water,mask off patch size,sand and clean w/acetone or toluol,glue 3 times,roll on patch with lots of pressure,clean and done.I just need to trade for a smaller one that will fit on my hardtop.

Last edited:
I have an 18.6DE, we use for hunting both spring and fall. To access beaches I took the advice of a friend and got a 2 man blow up boat from Wallmart, after the first day never again, to dam scary getting in/out, way to dangerous. Had a real close call when it "folded" and dumped me in the salt chuck with all my gear. NEVER AGAIN

I have had 2 custom kayaks (anuak 2) for 35 years, standing to enter/exit is a crazy idea and not recommended for an older guy like me. So I got a 2" pole 12' long at Home Depot, use a jubilee clip on kayak bar and made a foam block from 1 sheet of foam, bar clamps on kayak and other end goes thru foam block, just like an outrigger. Easily take off and on, kayaks come of boat hardtop roof then slide in my outrigger bar, get in and organized, take out outrigger and slide back on boat. Total reverse when re boarding. Safe, easy, and not to hard to store on a smallish boat. Works like a charm, allows us to get on beaches, worked for about 8 years now.

If you are young or steadier like my son you can/could just step into kayak and sit down, all safe. That's not me I use outrigger pole.

HM

Back